Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #1

Black water tank and bathroom sink.

DW and I have been wondering why our black tank would fill up faster than the Grey tank. You would think washing dishes and Navy showers would fill the Grey first?
I thought it might have been the sensors/indicator at first but I verified through the toilet with a flashlight that it was indeed full.

At my last dump I was flushing the tanks and I had the black tank open and the Grey tank closed. I went in and turned the bathroom faucet on to fill the Grey in order to flush it with some more fresh water. The black water continued to drain and drain and then it hit me. The bathroom sink was connected to the black water tank! I checked the other sink and shower and they did not drain into the black but into the grey.
I bought the coach last year and the PO had put a new sink in it. I haven't taken a look under the sink/coach yet to follow the plumbing. Even if he did replace the sink, I'm thinking the original must have been plumbed this way? Anyone else have a similar problem?
Old 05-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #2

This was my experience in our new trailer. We had a 2015 Mini Lite 2504S and the bathroom sink drained into the gray. But then we bought a 2018 Mini Lite 2504S, and the bathroom was reconfigured (the toilet and sink swapped spots) and the sink now drains into the black tank. At first I thought that was stupid, but then I changed my mind. Allows for me to easily put water into the tank, or add chemicals (liquid) into the tank as well. I am guessing that since both the sink and toilet were sitting above the black, it was just easier to have them both drain into the black, rather than run a 6 foot drain pipe for the sink to the gray... But it would be nice to know that ahead of time, rather than be forced to figure it out on your own

Old 05-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with your layout, but it's not unheard of. It might have been done because there's no way to route the sink to the grey, or it might have been done to help you balance usage. Since the shower is a high use drain, even with navy showers, it might have been plumbed that way to keep the grey tank from filling too fast.

Your particular usage though, resulted in the black filling too fast. Now that you're aware how it's plumbed, you can change your usage and minimize the amount of water going in the bathroom sink. Like, when washing up before dinner, do that at the kitchen sink.

I know, it's not ideal, but unless you want to start ripping out plumbing and ripping up flooring to re-plumb the coach, it's the best I can offer.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #4

That is exactly how FR has designed some newer models. Good old engineers think they know how often you S^&*. For me and my wife that would never work. I guess since it's in a Motorhome, they figure you'll be passing near a dump station often. With us staying on a permanent site that would never work. I have to haul our stuff to the dump station.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #5

Our REV is plumbed with the bathroom sink going to the black water tank.
It's actually proved useful in getting sufficient water into the black water tank for flushing it out.
We have a backflush, but sometimes there isn't sufficient water for dumping and I much prefer running the water into the sink rather than standing over the toilet running water.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #6

X2

Same thing happened to us on our second camper, It was a Keystone Fuzion 300. The bathroom sink was draining in the BW tank. The explanation I got from the dealership was that " It helps the flushing of the back water tank by reduction the amount of solids".....
Old 05-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
Insert witty title here

I have an outside sink that drains into the black tank. If need to top off the black tank with water prior to dumping, I'll use this faucet.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #8

Our 1989 Winnebago Chieftain was plumbed this way. Our 2015 Windsport 27K is this way.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:56 PM   #9

Might need they dealer to have it replumbed. It is against All codes to connect them like that. And the code enforcement and courts would agree. And the manf. doesnt want this to get out and have RVIA and the Feds breathing on them for violations.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Might need they dealer to have it replumbed. It is against All codes to connect them like that. And the code enforcement and courts would agree. And the manf. doesnt want this to get out and have RVIA and the Feds breathing on them for violations.
I want some of what you have been smoking.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I want some of what you have been smoking.

[emoji23]
Old 05-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Code enforcement???? you do know this is a RV forum? Whew! Roll me another one too.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #13

At least it is not like my older campers one tank for everything.......... oh the good ole' days...................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #14

Whoa! I am glad that this is not an isolated incident. It's something I can live with now that I know it's happening and I can compensate for it. Thanks for all the responses. Great Forum!

Tags
bathroom, black, black water, roo, sink, tank, water, water tank