Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Blow out while on the road

I had a blow out on my Georgetown a few weeks back. I remembered asking about jacks and having spares almost a year ago on the forum. But what dose everyone do and who is the best to call for help.
When it occurred we called our insurance and they sent us a guy who changes tires on cars and did not have the tools to change rv tires. We finally found someone but it took close to 6 hours to get back on the road. I have seen the big rigs on the side of the road with the trucks changing their tires, how do you get a hold of them? Any ideas would be great!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

That is why I have Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I call them up and let them find the right person to send. Not a plug for Good Sam, but I did not want to worry about this sort of thing!!

awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank4 View Post
I had a blow out on my Georgetown a few weeks back. I remembered asking about jacks and having spares almost a year ago on the forum. But what dose everyone do and who is the best to call for help.
When it occurred we called our insurance and they sent us a guy who changes tires on cars and did not have the tools to change rv tires. We finally found someone but it took close to 6 hours to get back on the road. I have seen the big rigs on the side of the road with the trucks changing their tires, how do you get a hold of them? Any ideas would be great!

When we bought our trailer 3 years ago the dealer .....as part of the "show promo" included a tire service deal.
We had 2 issues last year, we called the 800 number and the service company sent out GOODYEAR folks both times. Before they came they called to get sizes of the tires etc and both times we were up and running within an hour to 90 minutes.
Both times we happened to be near cities...Springfield, IL and Effingham, IL that were on interstates and they did a lot of big rig business.
We were very well pleased on both occasions.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

I recommend either Coach-net or Good Sam for emergency roadside assistance. They are designed for RVers.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #5

Do not know about coach net but good sams is worth the money, changed tire on TT and called them to the airport after a trip to change tire on pickup. I would not be without a service. So much so, I requested auto renewal. Be advised, they will stuff your mailbox with a lot of fire starter.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Be advised, they will stuff your mailbox with a lot of fire starter.
Supposedly if you ask them to not send that stuff, they'll stop. I haven't - I like the fire starters...
Old 05-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #7

I agree, join Good Sam's or another roadside assistance program. You don't want to be working on your RV along the side of the Interstate Highway. I know, how hard can it be to change a tire. Well it can be a challenge and it is dangerous. Hire a professional who has the equipment and a truck with flashing caution lights to warn approaching motorist. I passed a motor home yesterday on I-10 with a blown front drivers side tire. The driver was sitting in a lawn chair way off the road, reading a book, waiting for roadside service to come. Smart!

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #8

I like good SAMs for the following,

All household members are covered.
All rental cars are covered.
My motorcycle is covered. Dropped my old plan for it.
They won't leave my trash on the road. If my truck is disabled, my TT gets towed.

Read it all very carefully. As I have one year of coach net, I will compare.
Check your tire size and the availability. You may want to carry an uncounted spare. Service will mount it for you.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #9

I appreciate everyone's input. Can some give me an idea what good Sam charges for coverage? The only reason is I do not go far from home, we have only gone once a year to a destination more than a hour away. So I am not sure if coverage would be good for me, but want to check into it.
I was carrying a unmourned spare but when the tire went it did a lot of damage. Bent the steel mount for the mud flap, I had to hire a welder to come heat it up and bend it somewhat back straight. As the tire was leaving from under the motorhome it ripped the spare tire and tore through the rear rock guard. Also the wiring harness for slides run in that wheel well and it wrapped those wires around the axle.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #10

Follow this link. It will give you all the info you need.

Compare RV Roadside Assistance Plans | Good Sam