Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Blow out while on the road

I had a blow out on my Georgetown a few weeks back. I remembered asking about jacks and having spares almost a year ago on the forum. But what dose everyone do and who is the best to call for help.
When it occurred we called our insurance and they sent us a guy who changes tires on cars and did not have the tools to change rv tires. We finally found someone but it took close to 6 hours to get back on the road. I have seen the big rigs on the side of the road with the trucks changing their tires, how do you get a hold of them? Any ideas would be great!
Frank4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

That is why I have Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I call them up and let them find the right person to send. Not a plug for Good Sam, but I did not want to worry about this sort of thing!!
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank4 View Post
I had a blow out on my Georgetown a few weeks back. I remembered asking about jacks and having spares almost a year ago on the forum. But what dose everyone do and who is the best to call for help.
When it occurred we called our insurance and they sent us a guy who changes tires on cars and did not have the tools to change rv tires. We finally found someone but it took close to 6 hours to get back on the road. I have seen the big rigs on the side of the road with the trucks changing their tires, how do you get a hold of them? Any ideas would be great!

When we bought our trailer 3 years ago the dealer .....as part of the "show promo" included a tire service deal.
We had 2 issues last year, we called the 800 number and the service company sent out GOODYEAR folks both times. Before they came they called to get sizes of the tires etc and both times we were up and running within an hour to 90 minutes.
Both times we happened to be near cities...Springfield, IL and Effingham, IL that were on interstates and they did a lot of big rig business.
We were very well pleased on both occasions.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #4

I recommend either Coach-net or Good Sam for emergency roadside assistance. They are designed for RVers.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #5

Do not know about coach net but good sams is worth the money, changed tire on TT and called them to the airport after a trip to change tire on pickup. I would not be without a service. So much so, I requested auto renewal. Be advised, they will stuff your mailbox with a lot of fire starter.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Be advised, they will stuff your mailbox with a lot of fire starter.
Supposedly if you ask them to not send that stuff, they'll stop. I haven't - I like the fire starters...
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #7

I agree, join Good Sam's or another roadside assistance program. You don't want to be working on your RV along the side of the Interstate Highway. I know, how hard can it be to change a tire. Well it can be a challenge and it is dangerous. Hire a professional who has the equipment and a truck with flashing caution lights to warn approaching motorist. I passed a motor home yesterday on I-10 with a blown front drivers side tire. The driver was sitting in a lawn chair way off the road, reading a book, waiting for roadside service to come. Smart!

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #8

I like good SAMs for the following,

All household members are covered.
All rental cars are covered.
My motorcycle is covered. Dropped my old plan for it.
They won't leave my trash on the road. If my truck is disabled, my TT gets towed.

Read it all very carefully. As I have one year of coach net, I will compare.
Check your tire size and the availability. You may want to carry an uncounted spare. Service will mount it for you.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #9

I appreciate everyone's input. Can some give me an idea what good Sam charges for coverage? The only reason is I do not go far from home, we have only gone once a year to a destination more than a hour away. So I am not sure if coverage would be good for me, but want to check into it.
I was carrying a unmourned spare but when the tire went it did a lot of damage. Bent the steel mount for the mud flap, I had to hire a welder to come heat it up and bend it somewhat back straight. As the tire was leaving from under the motorhome it ripped the spare tire and tore through the rear rock guard. Also the wiring harness for slides run in that wheel well and it wrapped those wires around the axle.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #10

Follow this link. It will give you all the info you need.

Compare RV Roadside Assistance Plans | Good Sam
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #11

I have Good Sam. Before I got into RV'ing I never had road service before. Bought the RV and have used GS three times. One with my son's car on the way out to our camp ground over Memorial Day weekend, one when my motorcycle died on me and one to change a tire on my old Allegro MH which had a bolt sticking out of the right front tire after arriving at a COE campground near Wellsboro, PA (beautiful!). I get a little laugh out of the MH experience. The service provider called and asked all of the pertinent info, rig, tire size, location and conditions etc. Took 3 hours for them to arrive having had to come from about 60 miles away. When the repair truck came it only had equipment to work on big rig 18 wheelers. The bottle jack was way to big to fit under my axle, so I raised the wheel off the ground with the leveling jack. Tech had no sockets under 1 inch to remove my lug nuts, so I gave him my 15/16's socket I carry to check the lugs on my tow dolly. Socket was 1/2" drive and of course tech did not have a ratchet to fit my socket so he had to use mine. However, he did have a huge 4 or 5 ft. breaker bar to fit over my ratchet so that helped. I did make the tech get the full mount spare out from under the bed and mount the wheel he took off on to the tire carrier on the rear of the MH, which off course he needed to use my socket again to tighten the wheel. Tech was a nice kid, maybe 25 and really felt like a dork that he didn't have the proper equipment to do the repair. I still tipped him $20 for the effort.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
I was carrying a unmourned spare but when the tire went it did a lot of damage. Bent the steel mount for the mud flap, I had to hire a welder to come heat it up and bend it somewhat back straight. As the tire was leaving from under the motorhome it ripped the spare tire and tore through the rear rock guard. Also the wiring harness for slides run in that wheel well and it wrapped those wires around the axle.
I hope this damage was covered by your insurance!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #13

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's input. Can some give me an idea what good Sam charges for coverage? The only reason is I do not go far from home, we have only gone once a year to a destination more than a hour away. So I am not sure if coverage would be good for me, but want to check into it.

Just curious. How old were the tires or miles?
Did you hit something that damaged the tire or do you think it over heated and ripped apart by itself.
How much pressure was in it whenit blew?
How fast were you driving when it did the damage?

Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
Site Team - Lou

I have USAA auto insurance. I carry the "Towing and labor" rider on my policy.

It covers "Provides emergency roadside assistance (such as towing, flat tire changing and delivery of gas)" for 6 dollars per vehicle per six months.

That includes our 5th wheel.

If We should have a truck breakdown, the coverage allows the truck to be towed to a repair facility and the camper to be towed to a local campground while the truck gets fixed.

I just used the coverage to get my 2WD truck out of some soft sand when we stopped for dinner (disconnected) and got buried to the frame trying to get out.

Total out of pocket (zero) and the roadside assistance person stayed on the phone with us till they had a local tow company who could respond within 30 minutes and called back several times to make sure they DID get to us in the agreed time (15 minutes as it turned out). They then called back again to make sure we were good to go and there was no damage to the truck that needed taking care of.

All in all, that ONE call paid for all the premiums I have ever paid for the service, IMO.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

Just curious. How old were the tires or miles?
Did you hit something that damaged the tire or do you think it over heated and ripped apart by itself.
How much pressure was in it whenit blew?
How fast were you driving when it did the damage?

Thanks
The tires are about 5 years old. I didn't see anything in the road when it went the tread of the tire came apart, there was only the side wall was left. there where at the manufactures tire pressure had checked before we got on the road. We where on the hwy traveling about 65. Sounded like a gun went off in the motorhome. We where able to drive off the hwy and pull to a side road and out of worry of putting to much weight on the other tire I lowered the leveling jacks while we where waiting for the repair truck. I have USAA they called out road side asst. buy they did not have the equipment to change it.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #16

Quote:
The tires are about 5 years old. I didn't see anything in the road when it went the tread of the tire came apart, there was only the side wall was left. there where at the manufactures tire pressure had checked before we got on the road. We where on the hwy traveling about 65. Sounded like a gun went off in the motorhome. We where able to drive off the hwy and pull to a side road and out of worry of putting to much weight on the other tire I lowered the leveling jacks while we where waiting for the repair truck. I have USAA they called out road side asst. buy they did not have the equipment to change it.
What was the pressure when you checked them? 90psi?
Just may have been age.
I'm in Arizona and the ambient heat and sunlight does the damage here.
I cover my tires when stored to maybe help a little inthe life expectency.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I have USAA auto insurance. I carry the "Towing and labor" rider on my policy.

It covers "Provides emergency roadside assistance (such as towing, flat tire changing and delivery of gas)" for 6 dollars per vehicle per six months.

That includes our 5th wheel.

If We should have a truck breakdown, the coverage allows the truck to be towed to a repair facility and the camper to be towed to a local campground while the truck gets fixed.

I just used the coverage to get my 2WD truck out of some soft sand when we stopped for dinner (disconnected) and got buried to the frame trying to get out.

Total out of pocket (zero) and the roadside assistance person stayed on the phone with us till they had a local tow company who could respond within 30 minutes and called back several times to make sure they DID get to us in the agreed time (15 minutes as it turned out). They then called back again to make sure we were good to go and there was no damage to the truck that needed taking care of.

All in all, that ONE call paid for all the premiums I have ever paid for the service, IMO.
Thanks for this post Herk! I have USAA for home and all of my vehicles. I didn't speak with them about RV coverage, but I will now.
2016-(32) 2017-(13) 2018-(20) 2019-0
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

When I called them the person I talked to was VERY good and asked me questions I would have never though to ask (like whether I was connected to the camper, whether I was "on pavement" or off) when I asked why they needed to know, she said it was because she wanted to make sure who she called out had the correct equipment to help me the first time.

Since I was stuck in a very hard to get to spot in the restaurant's "back" parking lot, they needed a flat bed with a winch instead of a wrecker to pull me out of the sand and back onto the paved area.

She got lots of Kudos from me when her supervisor followed up the next day and asked about how she handled my call. LOVE USAA.

Sorry to hear Frank's service person was not as aggressive in figuring out what the call out service needed to bring. That was not my experience.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #19

No one here carries a jack and an impact gun?
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scofield View Post
No one here carries a jack and an impact gun?
No. I have GS. let them change it. At, I think $129 per year, I will let someone else handle it.