Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #1

Blow outs

Every time we have gone out in our motor home we seem to have a blow out. Our tires are newer can this be because of the way it is loaded?
We have had one on the inside wheel in the back and one on the front right.
Thanks
Harleywoman
Harleywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #2

What GT do you have/what year/what's the psi you inflate to? How old are the tires?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #3

There may have been but don't remember reading about any GT blow outs on this forum for years.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #4

Tires are 2 years old blow outs have been one on front left and inside tire just under the sink
It’s a 30 ft MH
Harleywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #5
NXR

It could be because of how it's loaded, the tire pressures being incorrect for the actual weight or several other things.

What is the year and the exact model number of your Georgetown? What is the manufacturer, model and date code on the tires?

Have you ever had it weighed and if so, what were the weights? If not, there's usually a sticker behind the driver that gives the recommended tire pressures. What pressures does it show and what pressures do you have the tires set to?

Do you add a tire pressure monitoring system? If not, how often do you check the tire pressures? Most "blowouts" really are failures caused by the tires being too low on air. Per Tireman9, a retired tire engineer, a tire that is 20% low on air is considered flat for warranty purposes so it doesn't take much air loss, especially since many motorhomes are running close to their GVWR.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #6

Being how you blow outs have been both front and rear I would suspect its a tire pressure issue. You might consider a TPMS and or checking the tire pressure more often and following the pressure to load chart for your rig.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleywoman View Post
Tires are 2 years old blow outs have been one on front left and inside tire just under the sink
It’s a 30 ft MH

But you never said when was the last time you checked your tire pressure?
If you have a 2 year old rig and never did I suspect they were low and built up heat and blew up from high temperature which is what happens when you don't know what your tires are set at.

Also you need to tell us if they were 22.5" tires or smaller.
What brand? Original or replacements?

So you see you gave us very little information.

I have over 65,000 miles on mine and never had a blowout.
But I know what psi my tires should be and check them before and after a trip.
I also have tire monitors on them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Georgetown_Scale_Weight.pdf (128.5 KB, 34 views)
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #8

Just getting ready for a trip and checked my tire pressure before leaving the storage area. Most of the tires are around 65 psi with a couple at 40 psi. Sticker behind the drivers seat states 92 psi for front and back axle tires. 34' Georgetown GT5 that is a 3018 model. Heat has an affect on your tires and they need to be checked before any trip. Just a little common sense goes a long way.
John.Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Debbie View Post
Just getting ready for a trip and checked my tire pressure before leaving the storage area. Most of the tires are around 65 psi with a couple at 40 psi. Sticker behind the drivers seat states 92 psi for front and back axle tires. 34' Georgetown GT5 that is a 3018 model. Heat has an affect on your tires and they need to be checked before any trip. Just a little common sense goes a long way.
2018 model.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:20 AM   #10
Kanadian Kamper

Wow!!!!!!

I’m pretty sure there is no Georgetown model of any year or model that calls for tire pressures anywhere below 80psi. They have been equipped with both 19.5” and 22.5” tires since forever.

If you can’t locate your recommended tire pressure sticker, you’ll have to do searching.

Get yourself a good air pressure gauge and use it every time you’re heading out. If you’re parked for long periods of times, check them regularly also. Low pressure can affect the sidewalls if they lose pressure and you’re not driving.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
NXR

Agreed. A tire whose pressure has dropped 20% below the minimum is considered "run flat". On my car the TPMS warns at 15% low.

John.Debbie, you need to consider that your highest tire was 30% below the recommended pressure and the lowest ones were 55% below the recommended pressure. When one tire on a dual goes low more weight is transferred to its neighbor, increasing the stress on that tire even when parked and even if the other tire is at the recommended pressure.

Any chance you had the leveling jacks down to take some of the weight off the tires themselves? (I have no idea how much that would help.)

I know your tires are only about two years old and they're expensive but you may be taking a massive risk on for you and your family by keeping them. From "waldo" about halfway down the page: Limping home on a dual tire

"I was witness to the devastation a tire blow out can cause. I was following my brother-in-law, when the outside, right rear, literally exploded... it almost looked as though he'd been hit by an I.E.D.

It virtually removed the 20' of the right side of his motorhome, and I mean everything... I was dodging parts of his shower stall! $17,000 and change later, he got his rig back, but it was never the same.

I asked him if they'd ever discovered why the tire grenaded itself like that. He told me that tire had gone low on air pressure because of a bad valve stem. The shop replaced the stem and "inspected" the tire, giving it a clean bill of health. It hadn't lasted 150 miles...

Fortunately, no one was injured..."

I haven't replace any tires yet mainly because the dealer called about an hour ago and said our new motorhome just arrived on their lot but if I found my tires were that low all the way around I'd be replacing every one of them. I think you're destined for multiple failures at the wrong time.

There's lots of threads on replacement tires. Some use the member discount from www.fmca.com and some use Toyo's.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 05-31-2019, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Agreed. A tire whose pressure has dropped 20% below the minimum is considered "run flat". On my car the TPMS warns at 15% low.

John.Debbie, you need to consider that your highest tire was 30% below the recommended pressure and the lowest ones were 55% below the recommended pressure. When one tire on a dual goes low more weight is transferred to its neighbor, increasing the stress on that tire even when parked and eve if the other tire is at the recommended pressure.

Any chance you had the leveling jacks down to take some of the weight off the tires themselves? (I have no idea how much that would help.)

I know your tires are only about two years old and they're expensive but you may be taking a massive risk on for you and your family by keeping them. From "waldo" about halfway down the page: Limping home on a dual tire

"I was witness to the devastation a tire blow out can cause. I was following my brother-in-law, when the outside, right rear, literally exploded... it almost looked as though he'd been hit by an I.E.D.

It virtually removed the 20' of the right side of his motorhome, and I mean everything... I was dodging parts of his shower stall! $17,000 and change later, he got his rig back, but it was never the same.

I asked him if they'd ever discovered why the tire grenaded itself like that. He told me that tire had gone low on air pressure because of a bad valve stem. The shop replaced the stem and "inspected" the tire, giving it a clean bill of health. It hadn't lasted 150 miles...

Fortunately, no one was injured..."

I haven't replace any tires yet mainly because the dealer called about an hour ago and said our new motorhome just arrived on their lot but if I found my tires were that low all the way around I'd be replacing every one of them. I think you're destined for multiple failures at the wrong time.

There's lots of threads on replacement tires. Some use the member discount from www.fmca.com and some use Toyo's.

FWIW,

Ray
It has been in storage all winter and the temps the last 2 weeks have been in the 90's. All tires loose pressure over time and that's probably the issue. Will keep a close eye on them and replace if they don't maintain the proper pressure. I have a similar issue with my jeep and mickey Thompson tires. Heat has an affect on them.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
But I know what psi my tires should be and check them before and after a trip.
Do you manually check them before each trip or rely on the TPMS? I am going to do the latter.

Interesting PDF, Iggy.

Your heaviest "single front" was 3,300 lbs. 75 psi or 3,645 lbs capacity was highlighted for a 9.5% safety margin and a 6% side-to-side variance is seen.

Your heaviest "rear side" was 7,000 lbs. 80 psi or 3,525 capacity lbs was highlighted for essentially no safety margin (3,500 per tire on the duals) and a 7% side-to-side variance is seen.

I see your red note about the loading however I'm curious as to why you put a safety margin on the fronts but not the rears. Or do you inflate the left rear dual to a higher pressure than the right rear dual?

The side-to-side variance is 6% and 7% respectively so the conventional wisdom of adding 5% if you cannot do a four-wheel weighing is pretty good advice or even conservative. Based on a sample size of one, of course.

Is that a 22,000 lb chassis?

Thanks,

Ray
Old 05-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Debbie View Post
It has been in storage all winter and the temps the last 2 weeks have been in the 90's. All tires loose pressure over time and that's probably the issue. Will keep a close eye on them and replace if they don't maintain the proper pressure. I have a similar issue with my jeep and mickey Thompson tires. Heat has an affect on them.
Agreed on the temperature effect but it's supposed to be about 2 psi per 10 degrees F. A drop from 90 F to 0 F would be a drop in pressure of maybe 20 psi.

Obviously it's your call because your family is taking most of the risk. If you haven't browsed through the articles on this site I found it interesting reading. RV Tire Safety

Ray