Old 11-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Blown Blow Up Bed

DW and I finished up our best camping season since getting into motor homes 7 or 8 years ago. Our last trip was over Halloween weekend visiting the Finger Lakes (NY) wine country. My BIL and SIL wanted to come down and spend an overnight with us. Usually DW and I let guests use the bedroom and we'll use the sofa fold out blow up bed. Since the in-laws were only spending one night, we gave them the blow up bed. Mistake! Both are on the "plus" side. In the am I asked how they slept? Oh fine, but the bed lost air and we had to pump it back up. Oh. As DW and I went about storing the mattress, I noticed one corner "blown" out! They didn't even tell us!
Any suggestions on replacement with factory mattress, and does anyone know the cost, or have others that have problems just use a Coleman mattress or something else? I have the whole storage season to think of what I want to replace the blown mattress with.

2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Personally I don't know how anybody can sleep on those. Mine had a hole in it from contact with the frame. I took the whole couch out. Too short to lie down on. To stiff to be comfortable sitting. We moved the recliner over, added an endtable/magazine rack and have more room now. To get the couch out by myself I took it completely apart. Its a cheapo construction.

BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
Ours was ok for a couple times.
Then brother & sil came for a couple of nights, only cost us a couple hundred $ for a motel.
Replaced it under warranty, that one didn't even work once, leaked out of the built-in pump.

Trashed it and bought a Coleman, been holding air for a couple of years with a lot of inflate/deflates.

2012 Georgetown 360
SHE wanted "a new motorhome"
abjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
We replaced our couch/bed with a home theater unit because: "10 people for a party...6 people for dinner...2 people sleep here". We've had folks stay with us but they always bring a tent.
2011 Georgetown 378TS in FireMist
2013 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
We have had several trips over the last 4 yewars where the blow up bed was used. The original one lasted 1 trip and had a hole in it. The second, and current one has lastret 4 years, many trips, and many nights of use flawlessly. We do put a thick oversize comforter underneath it to protect it from the frame and our guests are not overly plus size but not small either.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Don't know what they are rated for weight wise but I put a movers blanket under ours so it doesn't come in contact with the metal parts of the couch. You can get one at Harbor Freight for about $9. Mattress if I need to replace it will go get one of the Coleman ones . We have one of the Coleman ones for extra bed if we get to many staying at our home and it's worked fine.
Think about things before you do them make life easier not harder.
mark0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Need Safety label.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sign.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	66040  
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
Same thing happened to ours after a couple of uses. Blown!! We bought an aero bed in queen size and the thicker one it. We just put in front of couch on floor and have plenty of room of course it's seldom used and as you said if we have overnight guest we typically give them our bed and we sleep on air matress.

The one we purchased came with a storage bag so it's very easy to store.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
You may need this sign:

Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
5-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:45 PM   #10