Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 01:34 AM   #1

Blown Tire

Fellow motor homers. On a short trip this past weekend, my wife and I were no more than 15 miles east of Lincoln City Oregon when we heard a terribly loud noise from the rear of our motor home as if someone lit an M-80 firecracker and exploded it inside, and experienced that obvious blown-out tire ride. As I was able to limp to an area to pull off, I was expecting to find the rear half of my 378 laying in pieces behind me. I was very pleased to see the majority of my home in one piece.

That all being said what I did find was Forest River engineered our coach with a large wiring harness that traveled through the wheel well. It had been completely ripped in half by the torn apart tire. Crawling under the rear of my Georgetown I found the inner wires and while attempting to tie them off to the frame, noticed that when a couple of the wires managed to touch, my kitchen slide began to run out. (I didn't know what I was going to do if the slide went to far out to get on a tow truck. Wasn't thinking about cranking it back in by myself in my state of panic)

I did manage to cut all the frayed ends off so no contact would cause further expansion of the slide. My wife convinced me to limp the 15 miles on into Lincoln City and wait till morning for good ole Les Schwab to open. Our insurance company informed me that I had a gracious $150.00 towing feature and trying to drive the remaining distance on one outside tire seemed like the thing to do. We made it.

They replaced all 4 rear tires as they were about 10 years old, but with only 36,000 miles on them they still looked good. I keep the air pressure up on a regular basis, but they said they were old and coming apart. I didn't want another lesson of driving a 6 tired vehicle on 5 tires so I agreed to 4 new tires. The two front tires had been replaced 2 years earlier.

The reason I am writing this post is that even though you may have put on tires a few years ago, they could be several years older, having sat on a warehouse shelf for a few years before being put on your rig. And when they sit around they "rot" according to my wonderful Les Schwab mechanic, Chris. Having to rewire 20+ sets of wires and mount them away from the tires makes a relaxing weekend away, well, less relaxing.

In addition to regularly checking the tire pressure, check your tire's age. There is a code on the tire that lets you know when they were made and this is the true age of your tire, they don't start aging when you put them on. It isn't worth putting you and your copilot's lives in jeopardy even if there is lots of tread left on your tires.

Safe travels all.
Rongrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #2

Wow, glad to hear you are ok. did you take any pics of the wiring you had to do?
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

Our tires are replaced every 7 years. For me the mileage and visual appearance means nothing. At 7 years they are gone. 7 years from the date on the tire! Much cheaper to replace 6 tires than to replace a motorhome or even a spouse!
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #4

WOW! I am surprised you got 10 years out of them.
Glad everything went well and your back on the road.
Were you able to splice the wires back together?
I just looked at mine and it has no wires in either wheel well so it seems they may have re-routed them to a safer location.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #5

Yes we are both fine, and thanks for asking. I didn't get any pictures as I was in a hurry to get out of the tire bay. But everything is working except for one side marker light that was yanked completely out of the lamp housing.

I too was surprised to see the age of the tires. I will be watching much closer now.
Rongrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:08 AM   #6

Glad you are okay, My worst fear is a blow out, they just tear stuff up when it happens.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #7

glad that everyone was fine and that there was not much damage to the motorhome.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #8

What numbers on the tires tell the age? I'm learning all I can as lady owner. Thanks. I have a 2014 but want to log the tire age in my notes.
macevoyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Here you go macevoyj...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #10

Wow. Thanks so much for the information. I'll check my tires as soon as it gets warm outside . I appreciate your knowledge and link. Happy...safe trails
Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
Our tires are replaced every 7 years. For me the mileage and visual appearance means nothing. At 7 years they are gone. 7 years from the date on the tire! Much cheaper to replace 6 tires than to replace a motorhome or even a spouse!
X2

Whiteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #12

Agreed. Staying safe is always better..... Happy trails

Tags
tire