Old 06-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #1

Blue Ox Patriot

Just bought me a lightly used great condition Patriot BRK2012. Seems super simple to use and set up, any concerns or items to be cautious for? Will use for my F150 and plan to buy the Blue Ox Alpha bar and plate.

Should have asked before I bought but what's a good street price, just hoping I didn't overpay?

Old 06-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
I Break Everything

We bought a new one a year ago or so. Can't comment on your truck. I'd check etrailers. https://www.etrailer.com/tow-bar-brake-system.htm

Works fine. We use it on Jeep.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS MH
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #3

I am a new member to this forum - hello to all.

I have used the Blue Alpha and Patriot combo for two years and have found it works well. I tow a Wrangler. I also installed the Blue Ox wiring light kit and have a full-time review reverse monitor to keep an eye on the toad.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #4

Thanks for the input, will be ordering and installing the base, bar, and wireless light kit soon. Couldn't stomach the dealer mark up on parts plus 85 an hour on labor...told him I'd buy parts and pay an extra hour but he wouldn't do that. He wanted 1475 for Patriot...
Old 06-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #5

We've used our Blue Ox Patriot on our Pathfinder for nearly 6 years and about 45,000 miles. It occasionally gives an error on the remote and I have pull over and reset it. This happened maybe 5 times in all those miles. It was usually due to very rough railroad crossings, so it's not a big worry.

However, at the last stop during our recent trip I had a serious problem. It gave a error after a sudden stop on a steep hill. I pulled over, reset it and when I drove way I found the toad brakes were on. The Patriot had shut off with the brakes applied and I didn't realize it. I unknowingly had reset it with the brakes applied. Every time it had failed in the past it failed in the retracted position.

Usually I go to the back of the toad and watch the brakes lights go on and off as it goes through its setup cycles but this time I didn't. I do that to be sure it isn't set up with the brakes dragging. I won't miss that check again.

Here's a suggestion. The remote flashes a code to tell you why it had an error. Copy the list of codes, laminate it or put it in a sheet protector, and keep it handy so you don't have to dig out the manual to find out why it went into error mode.

Also, we had no problem just running it off the toad battery for a full day without starting the toad to recharge it. The second or third day the battery would run down. I just plugged it into a portable booster battery to continue for the rest of the day. I installed a wire to feed 12 volts from the motorhome chassis to the toad battery for back to back long drives. I put a fuse in the wire at the toad battery. Although there's a fuse on the motorhome the wire is still hot from the toad battery when it is not hooked up to the motorhome.
RamblerGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #6

Blue Ox Patriot and Tow system - updated

Just in case I am missing something...here is where I am at. Also showing costs so people can see what to expect for setting up a toad. If anyone sees something that is wrong, unsafe, missing etc please let me know!

I got a few quotes from places to install and about had a heart attack...they want a killing on mark up for parts and for labor...i was ok with labor but apparently its not worth their time to work for 115 an hour...

1. Blue Ox Patriot brake controller - bought used from local person on Craiglist, everything works when i tried it out, all parts, box, manuals = 475 bucks

2. Towmate RVHW32 light kit...now this is interesting. Its a wireless transmitter from RV, but runs a power cord to truck, draws extremely low amount of juice as LED. It has magnet mounts...I knew that my aluminum F150 was going to be an issue, so brother is making me a hitch with a flat plate to use to mount it on. Thought about some other methods to secure but settled on this one as being the simplest. 249 bucks plus his time and materials for plate.

3. Blue Ox Alpha tow bar, 6,500 weight, cost me 550 or so on Amazon. Bought together with base plate....wanted about 80 bucks to ship the two parts, so signed up for prime as I had let it expire, got it for free that way.

4. Blue Ox Baseplate for F150, $350.

So total that up and im at....carry the 2, divide by 4....around 1,525 for all plus paying him about 250 to install the bracket on truck for me...so just under 1,800 bucks and im not sure how I would get cheaper than that.

I think my quote for just the Alpha Bar and plate was 1,600 plus tax to install from one place, and other quote was 3,400 plus tax...

They dont make this cheap to do...
Old 06-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #7

Just got a quote from two different places ( complete system setup and install on a 2016 GMC Sierra). One was $3900, the other was $3500. I bought a truck to tow with us to save on car rentals but at $4000 it would be years before breaking even! Ouch....
Old 06-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #8

Where you located at? My brother builds his own vehicles for mudding and truck pulls...he's doing the install.

If you can pull parts together and happen to be in Iowa area maybe could work out...
Old 06-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #9

Just got a Patriot too and friend of mine said that in order to tow I need to disconnect the toad battery. He can't give me a reason why. Anyone can shed some light?
Old 06-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #10

You need battery for mine...powers light bar and the patriot. Internal battery on blue Ox wouldn't last that long.

Just got mine all hooked up! Took my brother an hour to install since I didn't have to do lights with wireless bar.

Tags
blue ox