Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #21

I've got a 2014 GT 351DS and it still came with the Lippert steps.
kmbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
Retired US Army CW4

I just had the LCI steps on my 2014 replaced with Kwikee steps after two of the bolts sheared off. When I took two of the "good" bolts out I found that the washers on those had been ground down to a paper thin width and had even worn through in a couple of spots (see pic). After the washer is gone the bolt starts to wear until it shears. The Kwikee steps are noticeably sturdier (none of that sideways back and forth movement like the LCI steps) and they are almost silent when they extend and retract. They also retract with the power off so you don't have to reach in through the screen door to shut off the switch after they retract.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	40596  
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #23
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
I have a 2013 Georgetown 378 XL and the steps are seems so loose wil replaceing them with the kwike steps make them more sturdy? Fireman Dutch
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
I have a 2013 Georgetown 378 XL and the steps are seems so loose wil replaceing them with the kwike steps make them more sturdy? Fireman Dutch
I can't speak for anyone else, but the LCI steps on my 2014 flexed back and forth, up and down and seemed very unsteady whenever you used them. This was from day one when I bought the motorhome and the movement got progressively worse over the last 6 months as they loosened up and eventually sheared two of the bolts. The Kwikee steps are very solid and don't have that back and forth movement.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #25
Fireman

Thanks Tom & Kat, did you take it back to the dealer to have the new set installed and what was roughly cost for new one and instalion.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
In my case Forest River did it all at no cost to me at the rally. They have to put a different magnet on the screen door frame because kwicke works a different way. You can shut off the power and close the door,lock up and the steps stay retracted.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch View Post
Thanks Tom & Kat, did you take it back to the dealer to have the new set installed and what was roughly cost for new one and instalion.
I took it to the dealer. Forest River had agreed to pay for the removal and replacement with the Kwikee step so it didn't cost me anything. If you pay for them, they go for around $700 for the triple step (PPL Motorhomes).
Old 10-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kat View Post
I took it to the dealer. Forest River had agreed to pay for the removal and replacement with the Kwikee step so it didn't cost me anything. If you pay for them, they go for around $700 for the triple step (PPL Motorhomes).
I just received an email from April and she will be sending out new steps also. The local RV dealer will install after they are received and bill FR for 1 hour labor. I hope the Kwikee triple steps are stronger than the original Lippert ones.
Thank you April at Forest River for taking care of your customers.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #29

Just curious Iggy. Have not seen any post by you that a step failure had occured. I had to replace the main pivot bolt in my steps some time ago. Have not had any further issues except Lippert steps are not as stable as the Kwike steps on my other coach. Is forest river replacing your steps as a courtesy or as preventive measures? What have you done to get it accomplished?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #30
Retired US Army CW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I just received an email from April and she will be sending out new steps also. The local RV dealer will install after they are received and bill FR for 1 hour labor. I hope the Kwikee triple steps are stronger than the original Lippert ones. Thank you April at Forest River for taking care of your customers.
The Kwikee steps are much more stable than the LCI's. They don't have that side to side movement and much less up and down flex when you step on them. They are also almost silent when they extend and retract. My LCI's made all kinds of noise........and you can close the door with the coach power turned off and the steps will retract (no more reaching in through the screen door). I also climbed under the MH and looked at the motor assembly. Boy, there is a world of difference between the Kwikee and LCI quality!
Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #31

[QUOTE=Tom and Kat;483026]
Quote:
I just received an email from April and she will be sending out new steps also. The local RV dealer will install after they are received and bill FR for 1 hour labor. I hope the Kwikee triple steps are stronger than the original Lippert ones.

The Kwikee steps are much more stable than the LCI's. They don't have that side to side movement and much less up and down flex when you step on them. They are also almost silent when they extend and retract. My LCI's made all kinds of noise........and you can close the door with the coach power turned off and the steps will retract (no more reaching in through the screen door). I also climbed under the MH and looked at the motor assembly. Boy, there is a world of difference between the Kwikee and LCI quality!
GREAT! After 18 months I think I have all the bugs worked out. Hopefully no more surprises.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
Retired US Army CW4

[QUOTE=bubbles;483024]Just curious Iggy. Have not seen any post by you that a step failure had occured. I had to replace the main pivot bolt in my steps some time ago. Have not had any further issues except Lippert steps are not as stable as the Kwike steps on my other coach. Is forest river replacing your steps as a courtesy or as preventive measures? What have you done to get it accomplished?

My LCI steps sheared two bolts, which I replaced. Although I didn't have any "current" failure, Forest River agreed to replace the steps.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #33

Quote:

Iggy. Have not seen any post by you that a step failure had occured. I had to replace the main pivot bolt in my steps some time ago. Have not had any further issues except Lippert steps are not as stable as the Kwikee steps on my other coach. Is forest river replacing your steps as a courtesy or as preventive measures? What have you done to get it accomplished?
Old 10-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Iggy. Have not seen any post by you that a step failure had occured. I had to replace the main pivot bolt in my steps some time ago. Have not had any further issues except Lippert steps are not as stable as the Kwikee steps on my other coach. Is forest river replacing your steps as a courtesy or as preventive measures? What have you done to get it accomplished?
Both. Broke and out of warranty but they want to make things rights.
They have Steve and April making people happy.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #35

This is my reply from April Oconner concerning my step concerns:

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do at this point. How can we replace a working step? As stated in your email you stated that your step is not broken at this time. We can not replace parts on a what if scenario.
However that being said, the only ones Forest River have been replacing with a Kwikee step are the ones that are in warranty. Since we have transitioned to Kwikee on the production line.
If you have a failure you will need to contact LCI, at 866-524-7821. You have a repair order already in for the steps.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #36

I had a couple bolts break and sent an e-mail to April and explained the situation because my wife took a fall because of the broken bolts. April referred me to LCI, I did contact them and they sent me out replacement bolt kit. Well since replacing the bolts, ones on the other side broke and again my wife took another tumble, so yesterday I sent an e-mail to Steve explaining everything. My warranty ran out the end of May 2013. I understand how warranties work and I offered to cover the labor cost of installing the new steps if they would supply them. I feel that this is a fair and reasonable request, seeing that my wife has fallen twice because of the broken bolts. I hope to here from Steve soon. Don't take this post wrong we love the motorhome and April and Forest River have been great and have no complaints so far. April has assisted us in the past.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #37

We have a 2011 378 and our steps broke about two weeks ago as we were leaving on a trip, as my husband stepped out they gave way and are no longer attached to mechanism. We had to tie them up to travel and once at our destination we propped them up.

I emailed Steve as soon ad this happened but no response and just emailed April. Any suggestions?
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #38

I contacted lippert directly.
The first call they were not to responsive and wanted to ship me only the main pivot bolt. After checking out how to remove the pivot bolt I noticed it was welded in place. No way to remove. The second time I called the lady rep shipped me the whole step assembly. Free freight. They arrived less than a week. My was still under warranty though.
You may want to insist on them replacing them anyways because of all of the issues lippert has with their step assemblies. But be nice, patient and insisting on them to replace them for free. I replaced mine myself in less than an hour. But two people will be needed.
You can search this site for previous posts on them
I even contacted the national highway safety board. They were very concerned about problems like this and would like for others to report it if needed.
Reply with any other questions or PM me if you need phone number. I may still have them or just call lippert warrant deptment.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #39

When mine broke, April Conner said that FR was no longer using that brand and switched to Kwik Kee steps. She authorized the repair place to install them. Shipping and install covered by FR. That was last year.
MattM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #40
Fireman

When we bought our Georgetown last May and after using them we saw that the steps were loose and moving all the times and bolts broke off. We contact the dealer after reading different posting on this subject on this forum. They contacted FR and got us a new set of Kewee steps and they work a lot bettere and much more sturder. hope this help.
US Air Force Retire SMS