Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #41

Just talked to Kevin with Forest River they offered to ship us new step for approximately $450- $500 total(magnet and shipping) step is wholesale for about $350. He said our unit is 3 yrs old and thats the best they could do.

Not particularly happy about this. We will contact our extended warranty company and see if it would be covered with them.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #42

your steps should be covered under the extended warranty and you just pay your deductible mine is (60.00). That's what you purchased that for I would use it. If anyone needs some shoulder bolts for the LCI steps I have (5) shoulder bolts you can have. Just PM me.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #43

I have talked to warranty company--National Warranty of Florida they say they only cover the electronics of the step??? Not a "happy camper" right now. I really think FR should cover this they obviously know this step has not held up and has the potential to cause bodily harm yet will not replac it. We have it somewhat patched up at the moment but don't expect it to last and hope no one is hurt when it does fail.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #44

Just got emai from Kevin stating they will not replace step can only sell us one for approximately $450.00. I now have changed my whole attitude about quality of Georgetowns. We've had our ceiling replaced due to "bad batch of glue"", hydraulic lines replaced due to bulges, refrigerator bord went out, and now we have a broken step due to "bad design". I have always thought Georgetown had more bang for the buck but don't feel that now. It doesn't matter how great the unit looks or the extras they add if the important-necessary things are "crap"
Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #45

That is real BS...they replaced my steps when the rv went back to Indiana to replace the roof and ceiling that had the same bad batch of glue. Since the steps were less than a year old, they replaced the with the Kwikee free of charge. I too had the hydraulic manifold replaced along with some hoses. All those part made in the Republic of Communist China,,,,thank you very much for this crap. Right now, no leaks, everything working ok, knock on wood. The wife wants to replace the cheap carpet with linoleum. I feel for you brother.
MattM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #46

Another broken bolt story

The main pivot bolt broke this weekend as I was stepping out of the coach. Lucky for me, I caught myself before taking a header to the ground. I dropped April an email this AM. It is a 2014 378 TS bought last August so I am still within the warranty. It is the first major item to have broken and I hope the last. I guess I will have to keep on FR to make it right. As others have said, there is no easy way to replace the bolt because it looks like it is welded in place.
EdB Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #47

Is it a Lippert step? I was told they are no longer using the Lippert they now use Kwickee. I can't understand why they would continue to use it as a technician said "it's a piece of crap". He's replaced several. I hope no one gets seriously hurt, it would be unforgivable since they know the dangers of this step.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #48

Im not sure if April is still there I would draft a letter explaining what happened and send it to FR and see what they say. I did that and my steps were replaced and was outside the 1 year warranty period. In the letter I offered to cover the labor if they provided me the steps, however they covered everything. My experience FR has stepped up and assisted me when possible and always remember you get more with sugar than lemon. Just my opinion...
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #49

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair View Post
Im not sure if April is still there I would draft a letter explaining what happened and send it to FR and see what they say. I did that and my steps were replaced and was outside the 1 year warranty period. In the letter I offered to cover the labor if they provided me the steps, however they covered everything. My experience FR has stepped up and assisted me when possible and always remember you get more with sugar than lemon. Just my opinion...
That has been my experience as well.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #50

That's exactly how I handled the situation my first contact was an email to April and Steve stating our problem with the step and ask if there was anything they could do to help us. I didn't hear from either for a couple of weeks so resent it and Kevin called me on phone and we had a nice conversation and he told me they could not cover it as we have a 3 yr old coach but they would ship me a step fir approximately $450 I then mentioned our extended warranty and he said to try that and if that didnt work he would then ship us a step if that's what we wanted.
After talking to dealer and dealer talking to Kevin is when I got upset. Dealer said he didn't understand why FR wasn't taking care of this. That they have replaced numerous steps on the Georgetowns and he felt this should be a recall that the step is a known hazard.
At no time was I rude or "sour lemon" during conversation with FR. I only got frustrated and upset after the fact.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #51

we2lovecamping I was not implying that you were rude just stating that people get more with sugar than lemons. Most individuals do not stay calm when trying to get things accomplished, if they are frustrated. No offense...
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
Old 03-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #52

Got an email back from FR. They are going to replace the step unit under warranty. I just need to get it to a dealer and F R will handle the paperwork etc. as we are camping right now, I will get the process in motion later next week. I hope it all goes smoothly
EdB Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #53

Glad to hear that FR is taking care of your issue EDB Wingman. I am a firm believer that FR truly cares about their customers.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM   #54

We received our step UPS yesterday, removed old step out and replaced with new. It was pretty easy process and works great. Still think FR should have replaced it. But it's done and I'm out $446.00 so life goes on.