Old 09-09-2014, 12:21 AM   #21

My 2014 378 xl 5500 gen runs both ac's sitting still but will usually cut out when moving. We have learned to pick one or the other when traveling. We love our coach anyway!

2014 GT 378 XL

Old 09-15-2014, 05:10 AM   #22

Here are a few suggestions you can do yourself. Motor homes going down the road can loosen just about anything. With this in mind open your power panel (with all power shut down) and snug (tighten) all of the connections. I had a loose one which kept my front A/C from kicking in the compressor. Also check the gen set grounds as they can become rusted, loose, or dirty. Your gen set should power your coach A/C's with no problem's. If you still have a problem take the coach to an authorized Onan service center, they are more qualified to trouble shoot their unit letting you know if it is functioning properly instead of guessing.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #23

Yesterday, driving through Needles and stuck on I-40, my generator ran for all of 5 minutes and shut down. Then it would not re-start at all. This is not the first time this happens. The outside temp was 113 and our interior temp went to 116!!! Last year had same problems and tech changed out carb. With reading all the above entries I am convinced it's temp related.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:25 PM   #24

Now that's interesting...my generator shut off while driving in hot temps yesterday and wouldn't re-start. Today, it's 105 outside and genset running fine with both A/C's sitting in driveway. I spoke to a tech at Colton Truck and he says it's probably not getting ventilation and airflow in the compartment. But the error code each time is 36, which is fuel pick up line in tank is higher than rv's. But I had a full gas tank.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #25

Temp related could possibly be true. When my generator tripped, it was in the 100's as well. It tripped both while driving and when I was parking. It would sputter before it died.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #26

Both A/c's won't always run on generator especially when hot (when needed most!)

This is a long shot but cars used to suffer from vapor lock in similar circumstances. You don't hear about it much anymore with modern vehicles but that could explain the error code 36.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #27

From an online source on vapor lock: One thing that a lot of people don't understand. The reason carburated engines get vapor lock and fuel-injected ones don't is because of where the fuel pump is. A carburated engine has the fuel pump mounted on the engine---a fuel-injected vehicle (almost always) has the pump inside the gas tank.

So on a carburated engine, the pump is PULLING the fuel, on a fuel-injected vehicle the pump is PUSHING the fuel. If the gasoline turns to a vapor inside the fuel line, it is much easier to push the bubble through rather than pull it through. Pushing it will compress it and turn it back into a liquid. Pulling the bubble will make it worse and create a vacuum in the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #28

Genset not running in high temp

I contacted FR about this problem and received a response that they are aware of the issue and their engineers are working with generator manufacturer to develop a fix. FR will get back to me soon. I also went to Mike Thompson RV who services FR and they said they have dealt with this and it is their belief the compartment is not venting airflow and the fuel pump is vapor locking due to high temps. They have installed air.flow baffles that re-direct flow and this seems to work.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #29

Can you explain where the installed the baffles. Pictures would be a nice touch if possible. Thanks in advance...
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #30
Resident Wiesenheimer

Both A/c's won't always run on generator especially when hot (when needed most!)

Ditto on pics. Thanks!

Tags
generator