Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #1

Brake Engager

Alright I am going back to a Motorhome from a Toy Hauler. Last Motor Home was 2004. I see some have a device now that applies the brakes in the tow vehicle. What are the requirements for this contraption. Are their size limits if required?

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:21 PM   #2

What type of motorhome do you plan on buying? Diesel or Gas?
What is the GVWR of your new rig? 20,000, 25,000, 35,000lbs, 43,000 lbs. etc
What do you plan to pull? A Car or Truck on all 4 wheels or a dolly for the cars front wheels?
Do you plan to be on the road long periods of time like months or just a week or a month?

The systems are called auxiliary braking systems.
On the market today they have about 3 major ones and each has it's own way of braking your tow vehicle.

1. Most states have no laws about towing vehicles 3,000 lbs and under.
I tow my Honda Fit on all 4 wheel without any auxiliary braking system because my car weighs 2,650lb and my motorhome weighs over 20,000 lbs and has adequate brakes to stop my motorhome and care without any major effort. Now this is me an dnot you.

Some of the Aux Braking systems are:
RVibrake 3 Auxiliary Braking System ( I really Like this one)
https://rvibrake.com/blogs/news/rvib...SAAEgISV_D_BwE

Watch this video.
https://youtu.be/LHhAV9aDIQ0

Roadmaster Invisibrake

SMI BRAKING SYSTEM - AIR FORCE ONE

BLUE OX PATRIOT II

Here is a great link to learn how you want to select one.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tow-bar-braking.aspx

Do your research and I'm sure you will find one that fits your needs.

Hope this helps you.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #3

Wheat he required by law or not, you should have some type of auxiliary brake system including a breakaway system for any thing you are towing. I tow my Jeep Wrangler behind my Georgetown and I use a simple system made by redid brake. It is a tow bar with built in surge brake system. There is a cable that goes to your brake pedal in you towed vehicle and hooks up to the tow bar. As you stop the movement of the surge brake pulls on the cable attached to the brake pedal and stops you towed vehicle. There is another break away cable that will engage the brakes if the tow bar of any attachment points fail and will prevent the towed vehicle from running away. Best money I have ever spent.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #4

I have the RVI3 and can answer questions on it if needed
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
I have the RVI3 and can answer questions on it if needed
Wow Eric I'm impressed.
Hope your trip is going well.

In regards to the RVI3 is it as easy to install as the videos?
Tell us more about the Wifi tablet.
Does it work for you well?
Old 08-23-2018, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Wow Eric I'm impressed.
Hope your trip is going well.

In regards to the RVI3 is it as easy to install as the videos?
Tell us more about the Wifi tablet.
Does it work for you well?
Hi Iggy,

We are nearly 30 days into the trip and it has been fantastic. So much so that we may go full time. The kids (13 & 12) are willing to be home schooled to make it happen. As such may may extend for a year. We'll see how it goes when we get back home on the 1st and when school is due to start. :-)

In regard to the RVI3...
Is it as easy to install as the videos: For the most part... yes. The RVI Brake itself if very easy to setup and use on a day to day basis. Its pretty much exactly what you see in the video. The items that can add complexity are things such as wiring in the battery charger if you need one. I did that and it really wasn't hard at all. Again, pretty much exactly what you see in the video. The only "hard" part was dealing with the breakaway cable. That needs to run from the front bumper into the car near the drivers seat. They show you just pushing the wire through an existing grommet. My car didn't have one nearby. I also was really worried about drilling through the firewall. So..... I cheated.... The wire has an easy plug. So I just keep it stored in the engine compartment when not in use. When I setup the RVI, i just run the wire out the top of the hood and through the drivers window and plug it into the RVI. No holes, no issues... easy.

The tablet: The tablet is big and doesn't serve a lot of purpose. I'd prefer an app on my phone. I really only use it for 2 things.... 1) testing the brake before I head out 2) Alerting me if there are any problems with the brake (low battery in toad, command center battery low, etc). It also shows you when the brake is working and allows you to configure it. I'd give it a C+ or a B-.

Does it work well for you: Its a mixed bag at the moment. I had an issue where the battery charger wasn't working and it caused my TOAD battery to die enough times that I replaced it. I will give RVI credit in that when I called them about it, they gave me zero flack and immediately sent a new one to my campground the very next day. I'm also not sure that the braking is as aggressive as I'd like it. I'm going to have to tweak the configuration a bit more and perhaps call RVI to see if my expectations are aligned with reality. I will say you can definitely tell its working... especially in hard stops where you need to slow down quickly. I also suspect its going to help extend the brake pads in the motorhome.

So in summary... I really like how easy it is to setup and use. It wasn't complete simplicity in the installation due to the need to put a wire though the firewall. Support has been excellent thus far, and the brake does seem to do it's job as advertised. I'll have a better impression by the time I make it back home with it too.

That help? What other questions do you have?
Old 08-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
What type of motorhome do you plan on buying? Diesel or Gas?
What is the GVWR of your new rig? 20,000, 25,000, 35,000lbs, 43,000 lbs. etc
What do you plan to pull? A Car or Truck on all 4 wheels or a dolly for the cars front wheels?
Do you plan to be on the road long periods of time like months or just a week or a month?

The systems are called auxiliary braking systems.
On the market today they have about 3 major ones and each has it's own way of braking your tow vehicle.

1. Most states have no laws about towing vehicles 3,000 lbs and under.
I tow my Honda Fit on all 4 wheel without any auxiliary braking system because my car weighs 2,650lb and my motorhome weighs over 20,000 lbs and has adequate brakes to stop my motorhome and care without any major effort. Now this is me an dnot you.

Some of the Aux Braking systems are:
RVibrake 3 Auxiliary Braking System ( I really Like this one)
https://rvibrake.com/blogs/news/rvib...SAAEgISV_D_BwE

Watch this video.
https://youtu.be/LHhAV9aDIQ0

Roadmaster Invisibrake

SMI BRAKING SYSTEM - AIR FORCE ONE

BLUE OX PATRIOT II

Here is a great link to learn how you want to select one.
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tow-bar-braking.aspx

Do your research and I'm sure you will find one that fits your needs.

Hope this helps you.
Gvwr is 42,000, 6200# tow, Diesel Pusher
Old 08-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #8

EricNJ

Thanks. IU don't think you want the brakes in the toad to be aggressive.
Just slightly engaging because the toad brakes will just over heat and burn out quickly if too aggressive. It definitely won't shop your motorhome.
SO NO AGRSSIVE setting on toad.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #9

Thanks jaherbst
I don't think you will have any issues towing anything you want.
Have you has a chance to check out any of the Supplemental/Aux Braking systems?

I see you are also here in Arizona.
I'm in Surprise
Old 08-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #10

Quote:
EricNJ

Thanks. IU don't think you want the brakes in the toad to be aggressive.
Just slightly engaging because the toad brakes will just over heat and burn out quickly if too aggressive. It definitely won't shop your motorhome.
SO NO AGRSSIVE setting on toad.
Hi Iggy,

I'm not suggesting that the toad brake more forcefully. Instead, that the system engage the brakes in more types of braking events. It engages very well when I stomp on the brakes hard to medium-hard. That said, it doesn't always engage the brakes on the toad when I step on the brakes in a medium or less type of braking scenario.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNJ View Post
Hi Iggy,

I'm not suggesting that the toad brake more forcefully. Instead, that the system engage the brakes in more types of braking events. It engages very well when I stomp on the brakes hard to medium-hard. That said, it doesn't always engage the brakes on the toad when I step on the brakes in a medium or less type of braking scenario.
Not much weight back there to worry.
Big thing is if it ever broke away the brakes would lock up and stop the toad.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:38 PM   #12

Thinking of not using one as it would hardly be called for. As far as breakaway, that's what the safety chains are for. Talked to a few folks at the Motor Home Show in Scottsdale and few of the big rigs are using them. Tow is rated at 10,000# minus of course what ever else you are caring.

Jack
Old 08-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
Thinking of not using one as it would hardly be called for. As far as breakaway, that's what the safety chains are for. Talked to a few folks at the Motor Home Show in Scottsdale and few of the big rigs are using them. Tow is rated at 10,000# minus of course what ever else you are caring.

Jack
For short trips no big deal.
I have travelled all over the country, Canada and Mexico without one and now have over 60,000 miles on my rig. Like you said that is the purpose of the safety chains.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:31 AM   #14
Back On The Go

Here is a link to some videos from the company I use for the tow bar/brake combined system. This is my 3rd motorhome and the 3rd different tow system set up I've used. All have done the job and had negs and positives, but the one I use now, the Ready Brute I like maybe the best due to ease of use. Here's a link to some videos they have on line:

Ready Brake and Ready Brute Videos

Not too serious about anything except what affects health and happiness.
salwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Jack
The safety chains are there Incase the tow bar brakes it will do nothing for you if the tow plate breaks off the tow vehicle, and it does happen. If the tow plate breaks the the only thing that will stop the towed vehicle is a break away cable or someone’s else’s vehicle. Do what ever your comfort level is but rest assured if it breaks away and you don’t have a break away systethe if it hit another vehicle you ar3 going to pay in a big way.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgew48 View Post
The safety chains are there Incase the tow bar brakes it will do nothing for you if the tow plate breaks off the tow vehicle, and it does happen. If the tow plate breaks the the only thing that will stop the towed vehicle is a break away cable or someone’s else’s vehicle. Do what ever your comfort level is but rest assured if it breaks away and you don’t have a break away systethe if it hit another vehicle you ar3 going to pay in a big way.
Yes there is risk involved without one. Still trying to sort out what I will do. Obviously a tether is connected someway to engage the brake if it departs the TV.

Jack
Old 08-24-2018, 09:36 PM   #17

Yes.... there is a small springy cord that does the trick.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #18

Quote:
For short trips no big deal.
I have travelled all over the country, Canada and Mexico without one and now have over 60,000 miles on my rig. Like you said that is the purpose of the safety chains.
Iggy - have you got the 3 or the 2? I have a 2 and don't think it's activating at all. I tried a test this afternoon with the car setting 4 feet away from the coach (right next to the cockpit) and the brake arm doesn't move a bit when simulating normal or emergency braking. It does, however, activate when I push the brake test button on the control plugged into the dash.... I'm at a loss what to do next since I leaving FL for OH in three days and it would be really nice to have confidence in the braking system... any ideas?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkekflyers View Post
Iggy - have you got the 3 or the 2? I have a 2 and don't think it's activating at all. I tried a test this afternoon with the car setting 4 feet away from the coach (right next to the cockpit) and the brake arm doesn't move a bit when simulating normal or emergency braking. It does, however, activate when I push the brake test button on the control plugged into the dash.... I'm at a loss what to do next since I leaving FL for OH in three days and it would be really nice to have confidence in the braking system... any ideas?

It sounds like your car wasn’t being towed during your test, correct. If so the issue is that the brake activates by the change of inertia it feels in your towed vehicle. It’s not what happens on the rv that triggers braking it’s the change in speed of the tow vehicle (due to you hitting the brakes in the RV).

Best way to test is to hook up your TV to your RV, get up to a reasonable speed and brake aggressively but not insanely. Usually I feel the difference if nothing else due to the backup brake releasing later than I release the RV brake.