Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #1

Unhappy brake line failure!!

I wanted to pass along some info. We just picked up our 2014 GT 335ds yesterday. Upon backing into our driveway, we noticed leaking fluid. BRAKE LINE RUPTURED pass side rear. WOW! we just drove 5hrs from jersey. Thank god we didnt loose our brakes! There is a split/rupture at the connector to the brake cylinder. There is no visible evidence that something hit the hose at such a force to cause this. I have taken many pics and sent them to the dealer. Because its sunday, I will have to wait for response. I have it in my neighbors driveway to get it off the road.
We are alittle bummed out! Its a great coach and the ride home was very fun. everything seems to be working good. We love it, if only we could drive it!

Anyway, just wanted to pass this along to other RVers,, CHECK YOUR BRAKE LINES before pulling out.

In additon, thanks to everyone who posts info. I have been reading for months and some of the advice and info I learned here helped me make my decision to upgrade from our Sunseeker.

Will pass along more info as it develops if anyone is interested.

Tim
tnt588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
2013 GEORGETOWN 351 DS

Wow I am happy to read you made it home without a problem. I have already inspected the underside front to back looking for problems. Please keep us posted I would like to know what they think happened.

Our family's 1st MH was a Brand New Winnebago and the rear axle was not secured properly which caused it to shift to one side. This was our 1st time driving a MH and it was also very scary that such issues will leave the production line without being noticed.
2017 Honda Civic
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #3

Tim ,
You know this is a Ford problem and not Forest River.
I would drive it or tow it to the nearest Ford dealer.
Iggy
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Call Ford Motorhome Customer Assistance & Emergency Roadside Service Hotline at 1-800-444-3311. They can get everything taken care of. Whether it has to be towed or they send someone out to look at it and repair it. I had to use them to have my coach towed back to a Ford Truck Center when I lost the rear. Don't be surprised if your information hasn't been given to them yet. My coach was still in FR name after almost 2 years.
FYI, I ran into another FRF member in Manheim PA earlier this summer and he had lost brakes on a 2011. Ford didn't cover it since brake fluid needs to be changed every 2 years per their maintenance info in the owners manual.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #5

Relhub - Thanks for the kind words. That axle must have been something. Were you driving long distance when it happened?

Iggy - I thought about it and realized after I posted that it was a Ford issue. I still think the dealer should know about it. I didnt mean to impune FR at all. In fact had it not been for our excellent experience with the sunseeker, I probably would have looked more closely at other manufactuers.. thor, etc

Cman - THANKS for the phone number and info. I will be calling them in the morning. We have a heavy truck ford repair about 20min away. They work on big rig RVs as well. I am hoping through Ford they can come out, replace the line, bleed air, fill reservoir and be done with it. Prefer that to towing it. I drive the highway to get to the service center so it would have to be towed. Glad you mentioned about the other owner with brake problems. Ill be changing my brake fluid as specified.

I guess this is just one of those things that happen. Luckly nothing bad happened. I still feel we made a great choice in RV.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #6

update:

Ford had it towed to repair facility. Between time I called and tow truck in driveway, 1 1/2hr. Not bad. Called repair today and they found the slice in the line I told them about. Had to order new brake line. Should be ready tomorrow.
Thanks again Cman for the phone number! Ford service so far has been great.

uploaded pic I took the day we had problems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	closeup3.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	40614  
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt588 View Post
update:

Ford had it towed to repair facility. Between time I called and tow truck in driveway, 1 1/2hr. Not bad. Called repair today and they found the slice in the line I told them about. Had to order new brake line. Should be ready tomorrow.

It should be under the Ford warranty being the line fractured and was defective. What did they say?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
update:

Glad it worked out for you. The Ford Rep at the Hershey RV Show gave me a card with all the info while at their chassis display. Less than a month later I had to use it. Still keep it in the coach.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 10-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #9

Might have to revise my first impression of Ford. Monday Rv towed. They said they couldnt look at it till thursday. No problem, I understand service schedules. They said they would call Thursday to let me know. Thur, no call, called them at 4pm.. said it was a slice in line. Yes, I know, I told you that. They would have the part ( brake line) by friday morn and get it done. Friday 3:30,, no call. I called them. They suposedly got wrong part. Will have to wait till Monday. WOW. We,ve owned the RV for a week and have had it in our posession for 1 day! Wanted to take it out this weekend before the weather starts to turn for the season.
I hope this is not the beginning of one thing after another.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Might have to revise my first impression of Ford. Monday Rv towed. They said they couldnt look at it till thursday. No problem, I understand service schedules. They said they would call Thursday to let me know. Thur, no call, called them at 4pm.. said it was a slice in line. Yes, I know, I told you that. They would have the part ( brake line) by friday morn and get it done. Friday 3:30,, no call. I called them. They suposedly got wrong part. Will have to wait till Monday. WOW. We,ve owned the RV for a week and have had it in our posession for 1 day! Wanted to take it out this weekend before the weather starts to turn for the season.
I hope this is not the beginning of one thing after another.
It's amazing that manufacturers send the wrong part when it's their stuff not getting it from a subcontractor or other vendor. Or is it just the info they're given is a load of BS. When my RV lost the rear and the dealer diagnosed the problem he called and said they told him they would have the parts to him the next day. He told me if this happens it will be the first time in his 20 year career it ever happened. Realistically he send most likely he would have it on Thursday which was 3 days away. He said if he had it Thursday they would get it done on Friday. Friday's weather was freezing rain and windy. They had to install the rear outside on the lift they have out there under a makeshift tent. I was shocked when he called at 6:30 on Friday evening and said it was done and we could come pick it up, they would stay or I could get it the next day. We picked it up on Saturday and the workmanship was top knotch. Al Packer Ford on Pulaski Highway came through and were honest about everything throughout the whole ordeal. Dealers get bad raps by lying or keeping the customer in the dark. I've always felt as long as I'm telling the truth I have nothing to try to cover up. Hang in there, once you get through the minor stuff you'll be glad you made your purchase. Have a great day, Charlie

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #11

UPDATE
Finally got the GT home. Brake line replace. I actually crawled under to verify. Covered under warranty. Thanks to all the encouraging comments. Its a little unsettling spending that kinda of money and have serious problem on your maiden voyage!

Charlie, sounds like you got a good service center there. When I went to get ours last night, no one was even sure it was done. lol

Stayed tuned!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
UPDATE
Finally got the GT home. Brake line replace. I actually crawled under to verify. Covered under warranty. Thanks to all the encouraging comments. Its a little unsettling spending that kinda of money and have serious problem on your maiden voyage!

Charlie, sounds like you got a good service center there. When I went to get ours last night, no one was even sure it was done. lol

Stayed tuned!
Glad to hear your problem got resolved. Yes I'm fortunate that Al Packer's Techs were able to turn it around quickly. I actually saw them driving my RV the day after I took it to them. The rear didn't fail until after I picked it up. I noticed a different sound in the transmission. They were trying to find it and as usual, it didn't show up. They tested it every way possible and it didn't make the noise. I picked it up after work, hooked my car to the hitch and was heading home. Got about 6 miles away and all went to pieces with a loud bang and the rear was shearing off teeth. Fortunately there was a turn lane for me to coast into. Called Ford and they had it towed back to Packer Ford and they took care of it from there. Their communication was great and they apologized numerous times and did a free oil change for not finding the cause. The only problem was there wasn't anything to go on, unless they would have started taking the thing apart. I noticed a whining noise in the transmission, not severe, but it wasn't something I heard before. Once the rear failed and was replaced the noise in transmission was gone and it's quieter than the day we picked it up from the dealership where we bought it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Tags
brakes