Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

Brand New Need Advice

My wife and I are new to the RV World. We finally got our kids out of college and out of the house. We are 10 years from retirement but want to go ahead and start enjoying a little of our free time.
Sine it will only be two of us the majority of the time and we enjoy simple- we have narrowed our choice down to a Georgetown 350 or a Coachman Concord. As far as reliability which one will I get better service from?
What are your observations concerning these two brands- pros and cons?
Also- I read everything I can but so far have not found a publicized list of important questions to ask when deciding on a coach. The forums are fantastic but each poster has gained insight from years of RVing history. Those of late to the game would like to have a cheat sheet if possible.
Any insight you can share will be appreciated.
Newbie from TN
Tboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #2

IMO, the Georgetown would be your better choice simply from the standpoint of living and storage space. My wife and I owned a Class C similar to the Concorde. We quickly determined that it was too small. Welcome to the forum. I'm sure others will jump in with some good input.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to a great RV website!!

Take your time and research RV reviews on youtube and visit as many dealerships as you can. (Unlike car dealerships, the ones we've visited respected our request to just let us look.)

We had no idea how much we'd love camping when we bought a little, used 18-foot trailer in 2010 and, last year, spent about 6 months researching Class-C's but, in the end, decided a 32-foot trailer was what we really needed and wanted...and we love it! (We, also, didn't wait until I retired before jumping in...hopefully I can retire for good in about 10-15 years, however, but that won't stop us from camping as much as we can squeeze in!!)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #4

I personally love our Georgetown 337xl. It is 4 years old and has never been in a shop. It was a good choice for us, it is our 4th RV after two class c's and a 38' Winnebago. We downsized for more flexibility and easier driving in the mountains on two lane roads. When you check out the forums you will see a lot of issues brought up by a lot of owners. I have found all makes have similar issues. Good Luck, you will love it.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #5

In a class C you will have to bend down to look out the front window. Sales man asked me if my wife would be ok with that as other wives are not.

Keith,Karen,Brianna, and Jessica
2015 F250 KingRanch, Powerstoke 6.7, 373 gears,
Prime Time Owner #81
2012 Tracer 3150bhd Delivered 10-22-2011
Nights Camped 2012 - 9 ,2013 - 7,2014-16
kwjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #6

What have you done different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
I personally love our Georgetown 337xl. It is 4 years old and has never been in a shop. It was a good choice for us, it is our 4th RV after two class c's and a 38' Winnebago. We downsized for more flexibility and easier driving in the mountains on two lane roads. When you check out the forums you will see a lot of issues brought up by a lot of owners. I have found all makes have similar issues. Good Luck, you will love it.
Jim- I probably over analyze too much- but about the time I think I have made a decision I will read another poster who is really frustrated with all the issues they are experiencing.
What have you done different that has caused your coach not to visit the shop since you have owned it. Unfortunately I haven't read that much on many threads. Since I am not a handyman- the more I read the more fearful of MH ownership I become!
Tboy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy58 View Post
My wife and I are new to the RV World. We finally got our kids out of college and out of the house. We are 10 years from retirement but want to go ahead and start enjoying a little of our free time.
Sine it will only be two of us the majority of the time and we enjoy simple- we have narrowed our choice down to a Georgetown 350 or a Coachman Concord. As far as reliability which one will I get better service from?
What are your observations concerning these two brands- pros and cons?
Also- I read everything I can but so far have not found a publicized list of important questions to ask when deciding on a coach. The forums are fantastic but each poster has gained insight from years of RVing history. Those of late to the game would like to have a cheat sheet if possible.
Any insight you can share will be appreciated.
Newbie from TN
We have a 2014 Georgetown 335 and love it. Has the usual problems that any other maker and model would have. Don't think you can go wrong with the Georgetown. Happy Camping.
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
Site Team

I don't have either unit so I will not comment on which one, but if you have questions, ask them here. You will get honest answers ( some you may not like, but honest. Don't believe anything the salesman says. if it is important get it in writing and be specific. ie.
Don't accept we will repair it under warranty don't worry, it is logged and will be repaired under warranty in XXXX period of time. Dealers see warranty work as a given they will prioritize customer paid work as they don't want to lose that work.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #9
Georgetown 280

We Love Our Georgetown

We decided to begin our RV adventures after retiring due to a health issue. We took over 8 months visiting RV dealers, researching the internet and talking to other RV owners during my recovery time. We decided on a Class A for many reasons, but primarily because of the layout and the larger front window which makes a huge difference in enjoying the vistas on your trips. We chose to go shorter, 28' because of greater availability for dry camping and it is just us and our dog. Like most RV owners, we had repair and replace issues that needed to be attended to, but we chose a local dealer with an extensive service capabilities and they have been great in getting FR to have our problems fixed. I always try to remember that you are virutally taking a "house" on bumpy, windy and sometimes tough to get to places and things will shake loose. On two occasions we have had to use the roadside assistance program, once for plumbing problem and the other a power issue and in both cases and that response and service has been great.
Finally, we chose to go "new" because of the warranty availabilty knowing that we would most likely need to have repairs done. Don't give up on your dreams, traveling by RV is awesome.
MikeFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #10

One big deal for me in getting a Georgetown was the fiberglass roof. That was a deal breaker for me with other class A's. I'm also big enough that we immediately ruled out class C's once I had sat in them...the extra width and ceiling height were a plus. Lots of normal sized people are happy in their C's but I couldn't be.
Also take a look at the carrying capacity, cu ft. of storage under coach, and towing & tongue weight capacities since the stuff you want to take or drag along may be an issue. I see the Cochmen has only a 30 amp hookup and a single 15k A/C...and thus is under "powered" for a larger coach. Countertops on the G'town are Corian type material ...not foil.

If you like the idea of both class C and a fiberglass roof...then I think the Winnebago Aspect line is the only one that provides this ...but at a noticeably higher price point.
Good luck on the hunt!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
Anacortesians

We started out with an old 26' Class C, to see if we liked the lifestyle. We did, but we soon came to hate that old wreck. We sold it after only 2 seasons, then waited a couple of years before buying an '02 Georgetown 325. It was 8 years old then and had less than 12,000 miles on it.

We enjoyed the lifestyle to start with, but the overall cost was starting to eat into our 401Ks. We sold it last December after 4 seasons.

You might want to verify the fiberglass roof. Our GT had a rubber one. Maybe they changed the design on newer rigs.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #12

We have owned 9 different RV's and hopefully our 2015 Georgetown 335 is our last...wait I've said that nine times before. We started out with Class C's and have great memories with each one, before getting our first gas Class A, an Itasca Suncruiser. We later traded for our first diesel pusher, a Horizon. We loved the Horizon and eventually upgraded to an Allegro Bus. We had it for 6 yrs and sold it deciding to not have any RV. After two years without, we bought our first of two toy hauler travel trailers. it took two to decide we really missed having a motorhome. We really were considering going back where we started with a really nice Class C. We liked the Coachmen Leprechaun and Concorde. However, while both very nice, we didn't like the small refrigerators, only one roof air, and only 30 amp service. We love our Georgetown!!
2014 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide
Will Parish is offline   Reply With Quote