Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2014, 01:10 AM   #1

bringing a canoe

We're looking to buy a 16' canoe. We already have 3 solar panels on the roof. Any suggestions for how we can bring the canoe along w/o towing a trailer?
emeraldlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Point 65N makes modular canoes...little expensive but lightweight and breaks down so you have more options on where to store for transport...check it out

Old 03-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #3

Look at this site, maybe buy a shorter canoe or kayaks instead. Good luck.

WELCOME TO RVKAYAKRACKS.COM - THE FIRST VERTICAL RV KAYAK RACK - YAKUPS ? brand WHY LEAVE FUN BEHIND?
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #4

We've been tossing the idea around of getting an inflatable kayak? Would that be an option for you instead of a canoe? Has anyone used an inflatable kayak? If so, how do you like it?
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #5

It all depends. Do you have a bumper pull, 5th wheel or motor home? When I had a bumper pull, I made 2 racks that looked like a saw horse made of 1 1/2" angle iron with a 1" galvanized pipe for the top rail. I used "C" clamps to clamp these to the bed rail of the truck. With that arrangement, I could strap the kayaks so that they did not extend much past the back of the truck and did not pose a clearance issue with the camper. When I got my 5th wheel, I had to invent something different. You can see it below.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
We've been tossing the idea around of getting an inflatable kayak? Would that be an option for you instead of a canoe? Has anyone used an inflatable kayak? If so, how do you like it?
I think aquaman has or has looked into these.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Always Learning

Since we're in the Georgetown forum, I am assuming a motorhome. Do you pull a toad? If so, it's roof would be the ideal place for the canoe.

No idea otherwise.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

bringing a canoe

Since you're asking, I'll assume you've already considered what will fit in storage, getting it through the door and carrying inside, etc...

That leaves:

1) On a trailer or toad
2) On the roof
3) On the back

A quick google search for "Motorhome hitch mount canoe rack" brought me to http://rvkayakrack.com. They might have something you can use to try carrying it on the back.

If not, as long as it's properly secured you should still be able to use the roof, even with the solar panels up there. Just have to make sure it can't hit the panels. Oh, and watch your height.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:54 AM   #9

We have two kayaks, a 12' and a 14' and couldn't figure out how to bring them on our trip to FL. I could have strapped the 12' to the latter, but the 14' would have stayed home. We have a trailer to tow behind our coach, but didn't want to do that just for the kayaks. We almost bought the modular snap on design, but it had to be ordered. I think we'll end up getting it because it fits just about anywhere and it's a tandem.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #10

Have you thought about a folding canoe or boat?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
We have two kayaks, a 12' and a 14' and couldn't figure out how to bring them on our trip to FL. I could have strapped the 12' to the latter, but the 14' would have stayed home. We have a trailer to tow behind our coach, but didn't want to do that just for the kayaks. We almost bought the modular snap on design, but it had to be ordered. I think we'll end up getting it because it fits just about anywhere and it's a tandem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396030615.763769.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	48644

Modulars are pretty nifty!

Old 03-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide5r4fun View Post
We had a canoe and three single kayaks, all in the 16 to 17 foot range. We pull a PT Cruiser and my wife frequently hauls her kayak on it.

We (OK I) decided that I did not want two kayaks back there while towing so we bought a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak for kicking around in while we travel. (Yes, we are up to 5 boats for the 2 of us but we live on an island.) It seems to be very well constructed and I got a killer price in it at Christmas time. It weighs about 35 pounds and should fit into one of the basement hatches.

Sorry, we have not actually gotten it wet yet and I have not tried it in the basement since I just took the cover off.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
phat phrog stunt crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
It all depends. Do you have a bumper pull, 5th wheel or motor home? When I had a bumper pull, I made 2 racks that looked like a saw horse made of 1 1/2" angle iron with a 1" galvanized pipe for the top rail. I used "C" clamps to clamp these to the bed rail of the truck. With that arrangement, I could strap the kayaks so that they did not extend much past the back of the truck and did not pose a clearance issue with the camper. When I got my 5th wheel, I had to invent something different. You can see it below.

I saw this arrangement but with atv's. I guess it was cheaper than a toyhauler, but still an impressive sight.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I think aquaman has or has looked into these.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Thanks Turbs, I'll send Aquaman a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
When I got my 5th wheel, I had to invent something different. You can see it below.

Joe, that is an awesome setup you have there! Really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Attachment 48644

Modulars are pretty nifty!
I do like the Modulars Cajun but I'm concerned they'll take up too much space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevillefish View Post
We (OK I) decided that I did not want two kayaks back there while towing so we bought a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak for kicking around in while we travel. (Yes, we are up to 5 boats for the 2 of us but we live on an island.) It seems to be very well constructed and I got a killer price in it at Christmas time. It weighs about 35 pounds and should fit into one of the basement hatches.

Sorry, we have not actually gotten it wet yet and I have not tried it in the basement since I just took the cover off.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
Coupevillefish, I checked out the Sea Eagle website and really like the SE370 Pro Package. At $379 with free shipping I might have to snag that.

Thanks to all for the feedback and ideas.

OP, sorry to hijack your thread a bit. Have you found any options for your canoe?
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #15

That's the one we got. Big enough for the two of us and the German Sheppard.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:41 AM   #16

Oops. OP, I wasn't smart enough to look and see that this was a motorhome forum. Good luck with whatever method you use and let us know how you did it!

Kevin, thanks for the Kudos!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #17

Thanks for all the responses folks. I spent last weekend researching some options, and basically came up w/thinking about taking the leap and buying a dinghy w/a roof rack.

We've done the inflatable kayak thing - not comfortable, sits too low in water, poor tracking, and a huge hassle to inflate, DRY, and put away.

We looked at the folding kayak options (we prefer a canoe given me, DW, and 2 little girls), but it looked like a similar level of hassle. I can't imagine being next to the lake and telling the girls "wait 30 min while I put this together." So that was out.

Short 1-person kayaks seemed like an ok option, at least until my girls were school age, which is just around the corner, so we bailed on that.

We looked at getting a roof rack installed w/one of those hull-a-vator things, but that's still 10 ft off the ground, and the installer was worried about getting a solid mount on the fiberglass roof/wood sub-structure.

I haven't found a local place w/the modular kayaks, but I really want to stay dry given the little ones, so that doesn't seem like the right choice.

So for now, looks like I'm going to pursue a toad for my 351ds.
emeraldlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #18

DW and I like to take our 10.5ft and 12ft kayaks with us as much as possible. We have used her RAV4 with roof J-Racks for the kayaks towed on our dolly just to have the kayaks with us at times we didn't really need to have use of the car. We'll be doing that again in early June for the Keuka Lake (NY) Triathlon. DW (former participant) and I volunteer for water safety for the swimmers so we'll tow the RAV with kayaks as our only way to get them there. Worth it every time.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote