Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2012, 06:28 PM   #141

With the problems with the leaks for the past few years I would have suspected a Class Action Suit would have been started by some lawyer.
We have many here that have lost time and money to take our new rigs into the dealer to get fixed. My MH has been in the shop about 53 days since April 2012 getting these lines fixed as well as other minor issues.
Any Lawyers here?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #142
BJ

Here s my latest,,,,, right after replacing the orange/red lines the motor had oils dripping from it. The dealer where I get all my service done, and who replaced all the orange/red lines and convinced FR (Mr Armstrong) to also approve the work necessary to get the main slide "bow" out of the center of slide, said FR will not cover the pump and FR knows the gasket between the reservoir and the motor is faulty, will not approve it to be repaired. Says will eventually cause slides to open while driving down the highway and will cost the owner between 1400 and 1800$ to get fixed.
Bjs306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjs306 View Post
Here s my latest,,,,, right after replacing the orange/red lines the motor had oils dripping from it. The dealer where I get all my service done, and who replaced all the orange/red lines and convinced FR (Mr Armstrong) to also approve the work necessary to get the main slide "bow" out of the center of slide, said FR will not cover the pump and FR knows the gasket between the reservoir and the motor is faulty, will not approve it to be repaired. Says will eventually cause slides to open while driving down the highway and will cost the owner between 1400 and 1800$ to get fixed.
Its out of warranty for Forest River but have you called Lippert?
The pump system is more than a year but your MH is 2010 so I don't know.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #144

Quote:
There really is no gasket between the reservoir and the motor. They each butt up to the manifold block. The tank side is simply an O'ring, the motor side is more complex as its a shaft seal and lots of disassembly to get at it. Lippert says it cannot be saved, it worth 1300+. A guy in the other forum has pictured a complete overhaul very well documented. I found it under Lippert pump or Monaco RV widely used on them a few years back. Either way it can be done for considerably less than 1800. The second pic is the 12VDC motor if oil is allowed too long. The key here is you'll see dripping from the bolts on the end of the shiny motor housing. The motor is cut off in this pic only 1/3 of the length is shown. This means oil is coming all the way through. On the tank leak, I found mine leaking on the overflow plug, yellow 1" diameter. Not all tanks have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Complete pump.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	20650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lippert_pump_motor.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	20651  
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #145
BJ

Seal/gasket but I'm advised by service Ted it is a very hard and dry rotted piece of material.
You say no where near 1800. That's great if true. Please advise what you base your pricing on and what cost is it nearer. Keep in mind I will most likely have to pay someone to do it.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #146
BJ

Iggy,
Thanks for your reply. Yes I contacted Lippert. They only guarantee FR furnished items for 12 months from day in service. They suggest taking it in to get it fixed by a reputable dealer. Of course they will not cover parts or labor.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Its out of warranty for Forest River but have you called Lippert?
The pump system is more than a year but your MH is 2010 so I don't know.
I talked to Lippert about 2 months ago, warranty dept. There was a thread on here the pumps were 3 years. I confirmed with them the entire system is 1 year including controls.
I think the hoses are being covered under another policy?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #148

My stomach gets upset reading this thread in wondering whether this will be my next FR/GT issue.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12
My stomach gets upset reading this thread in wondering whether this will be my next FR/GT issue.
Good news is, for all those reported, there's many more who have not. Keep checkin' for signs, have repaired pronto.

Like IGGY said don't worry about just possible.
Nothing can come out or down w/o total system press loss rare
Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie57 View Post
I sent an e-mail to John Armstrong at Forest River this morning telling of my problem and wondering why "no recall" on hoses. Received a phone call from him 10 min. later saying he would call my mechanic and they would cover it. He was a very nice man and I wish I had did this 4 wks ago. ( I would be sitting at Lowe's Motor Speedway right now. Sorry my mechanic was getting the runaround from Easy Care.
I have read these threads for months an months... the point is, for the money paid non of these things should of happened, i frankly don't know how or why motor home co. stay in business... an i admit ,its a shame to say
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #151
BJ

To all, I made a political comment, in a joking intent. I have been advised a few complained. If I upset anyone, I apologize. I also understand political comments are not allowed and understand.
Regards.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #152

Let me know your thoughts on this:
1. The fact that Forrest River is agreeing to cover the charges for out of warranty 'orignal owner' cases shows that they admit there is a defect in the orange return hoses. Note: if you're not a 'orignal owner', you're on your own.
2. There are obvious safety concerns. Although unlikely, there is the possibility that a slide can extend or jacks could fall while driving. Also, a line could burst while servicing your house batteries or loading a storage compartment causing serious harm.
3. Despite the fact that FR admits that there is an issue, they are not notifying their customers. IMHO, it's the less expensive route.
4. Despite the 40 + cases noted on this forum, there have only been a couple of reports to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml). This may explain FR's response. People need to report the issue.

Did I miss anything?

Just remember, the members of this forum makeup a very small subset of Georgetown owners. Many folks are not aware of this defect nor are they checking their lines at regular intervals. It's just a matter of time before an incident occurs.
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #153

Quote:
Seal/gasket but I'm advised by service Ted it is a very hard and dry rotted piece of material.
You say no where near 1800. That's great if true. Please advise what you base your pricing on and what cost is it nearer. Keep in mind I will most likely have to pay someone to do it.
Thanks
So Bjs have you had a chance to look up that stuff I told you about?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #154
BJ

Yes I have and thank u.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #155

Just got ours back this week from local dealer, FR covered all expenses on our 2011.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by we2lovecamping View Post
Just got ours back this week from local dealer, FR covered all expenses on our 2011.

So what was replaced or fixed?
I was by my dealer that LCI was send a complete chassis kit which we believe is all the lines being replaced. They also spoke with the mechanic which told them that he thought it was heat effecting the lines. They are only rated at 150 degrees. Also FR has called and asked a questions about my MH.
Hopefully I get it back next week
Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #157

All orange hydraulic hoses were replaced. I emailed John Armstrong about a month ago he had me email him pictures of the bulging hoses and after seeing them he told us to find a FR service dept and they would cover all expenses even though we were out of warranty (2011). He said this was a special situation. Dealership ordered hoses from Lippert taking about 10 days. Very pleased with the way FR handled the situation. We love our Georgetown 378.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #158
BJ

Can I have Mr Armstrongs email?
Has anyone checked the motor that works the pump for leaks or oil dripping from it?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #159

Jarmstrong@forestriverinc.com I'm not sure about motors being checked..
Old 10-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #160

As I posted earlier, make sure your dealer is replacing all of the hoses. There should be 7 orange hoses to replace. My dealer initially only replaced 5 hoses telling me that is all John Armstrong, FR and Lippert would cover. Wasn't until "I CHECKED" that I discovered two additional blistered lines. To my dealers credit (RVONE), they didn't bother going through FR or Lippert and had a local mobile mechanic replace the final 2 lines with NYState DOT certified lines which are twice as thick as Lipperts junk.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote