Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #1

Bulges in hydraulic hoses

I was doing some routine house battery maintenance on my 378 when I noticed several small bulges in the hyraulic hoses that run through the battery compartment. Has anyone else run into a problem like this, and if so, did FR cover the cost of repair? My unit is out of warranty, but is only 2 yrs old with low mileage. This appears to be a manufacturing defect. I am taking the rig to the dealer next week to get a repair estimate.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The hydraulic. Hoses have an internal leak usually caused by over crimping the end hydraulic fitting.
The hydraulic oil then seeps past multiple layers of the hose and creates the bulges you see.
I'd be very careful as those hoses can be under very high pressure and burst.
And you don't want to be around when that happens.
Id get them fixed asap!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #3

My hoses leaked all over the place. They became pourous. I bought my unit used, but the dealer fixed them anyways.
Fourn3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
10Isola

I have a 3 month old 320ds and all of the orange lines have blistered. It is currently in the shop being repaired. I'm assuming it will be covered under warranty. Apparently this is a fairly common issue along with some other things that I'm having checked out. Very frustrating trying to get fixed this time of the year.
10Isola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #5
Anacortesians

Small bulges can suddenly bcome big ones and then burst. If pressurised oil is getting outside the inner containment, it's only a matter of time.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #6

I spoke with Lippert and FR today. Lippert claims they do not supply the hydraulic lines to FR. The hoses come from another supplier. Mike Burns at FR didn't know who the supplier was, but had heard of this blistering problem before. He suggested I schedule an appointment with my dealer (I already have) and have them contact the dealer rep (John Armstrong). I'll post an update after I've seen the dealer.
Also, according to Lippert, in the event of a hose failure and loss of pressure, there would nothing to prevent the slide rooms from moving while driving. I went to Walmart and bought some adjustable shower curtain rods to use as braces while the coach is moving, just in case. If there is a failure with the slide rooms out, they said you should be able to push them in by hand ( may need a 2nd person). They claimed the jacks should retract with loss of hydraulics.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
10Isola

Just heard back from the dealer. Apparently this is a common issue with the orange lines. Forest River approved the work for warranty, and parts are on order. If a problem is known - why does FR continue to install these lines?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #8

sounds like their supplier is using inferior hoses. FR may have just found out abt the problem and trying to get the supplier to correct it.

when i visited the cardinal plant 2 yrs after buying mine, i was amazed at the "haven't heard of that happening" answer i got to a couple of my problems. i suspect the dealers are correcting problems and not telling FR what they are finding.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #9

Thanks for the heads up on this issue. I inspected mine this morning and am also effected.

2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #10

maybe i ought to look at mine...would hate to rupture one on a holiday, weekend, etc.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #11

If anyone gets them replaced. Please cut into the blisters and see if you find any ATF fluid.

After talking with a an engineer knowledgable in hydraulics, he did not think it was hydraulic fluid leaking out the hose but gas under pressure permeating through the liner getting trapped by the polyethylene cover when it was at a lower pressure. He was quite positive that polyethylene cover on the hose wasn't holding back any pressure (1000+psi) the hydraulic system is under. That gas would have went to atmosphere if the cover wasn't there and we wouldn't be the wiser. He said there might be an oily substance in there but not ATF fluid which would indicate a leak.

I'd rather be safe then sorry but it would be nice if someone could check.
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #12

Update: My coach is 2yrs. old but FR has agreed to pay for the cost of replacing the bistered hydraulic lines. I would encourage everyone with a late model Georgetown to inspect your hyraulic lines and have them serviced if needed.
I also asked my dealer to save the old lines so we can "operate" on them to see what's under those blisters. I'll update when I know.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
10Isola

My parts just came in yesterday,and are being installed today. I will check with the dealer, and see if we can open up a few of the old lines. I will let you know. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #14

Just checked all the lines in my 2011 360...I have no orange lines and I have no bulges..may FR finally changed suppliers. Hope so.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #15

Lovely.... Something for us Orange/Black Hydraulic hose owners to look forward too. Deffinatly post back photos of whats under those bulges!
SoMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #16

We have a 2010 Georgetown 378, same problem with the orange hoses as stated above. Our rig was purchased 12/2009, out of warrany. However, after contacting FR, I was told to take it to a dealer for service and hose replacement. Just finished the install of new hoses today. Had the tech cut open a few of the blisters and he claims it was hydraulic fluid in the blister. John Armstrong at FR has been fantastic about helping with the few problems that we have experienced, especially this hydraulic hose blistering problem. BTW, the hoses were ordered from Lippert, but who they get them from is a ?. The tech who did the change out stated that he believed the new orange hoses were of a much higher quality than hose he removed.
betndavrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #17

After reading about
Bulges in hydraulic hoses off i went with trusty flash lite to investigate, from looking at picture my hoses look to be smaller an different texture but that could all be in photo, ours is 2012 bought in april an i See no problems, maybe too new yet,but thanks for heads up.as i crawl under this thing it amazes me, as a retire truck driver of 39yrs always looking for problems.. i wonder how many owners know they have steel wheels on inside an aluminum only on out side ...
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #18

My 2011 360 came with all black hoses..maybe FR has caught on as i hear the problem only happens on the orange lines.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #19

our 2012 has black an orange so don't know, so far we're good ..
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #20

Budging orange lines issue

I have the issue with the orange hydraulic lines, I need a number to call at Forest River (Mike Burns?) about these lines. I know some of you have contacted FR and had your lines replaced. Thanks
Mandy
Partner
johnnyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote