Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronhanson
I beleive the Monaco pumps that are being replaced are the same ones we have.
For sure, shaft seal leaks, pump to motor, motor fills and rstriction causes motor overheat.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #122

God this is getting me excited on my "yet" to receive" 330TS, though they did call today regarding progress on the alignment I requested.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #123
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
God this is getting me excited on my "yet" to receive" 330TS, though they did call today regarding progress on the alignment I requested.
After all the talk here about hoses, I think I would leave it on the lot until ALL the hoses were replaced, bar none, with quality hoses. Gates is an alternative to Eaton Aeroquip. Hose crimping done correctly is also tantamount to good hoses.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #124

hydraulic hoses

What's the cost to replace the hoses ? I have a 2010 350 TS. Thanks for any info that may be supplied.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #125
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman
What's the cost to replace the hoses ? I have a 2010 350 TS. Thanks for any info that may be supplied.
If you use the hose that I recommend
The hose is about 1.50 a foot and depending on the crimp ends 2.00 to 8.00 a fitting.

I make hydraulic hoses.

Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #126
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
I think someone posted it is around $1,000 for all of them. I really don't have any idea.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #127

FR paid for the replacement hoses and CW is charging me $500 for installation. CW says they're giving me a significant discount on the labor as I just purchased the MH a couple of months back.
lochsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #128

Bulging hose on 2012 378!

We had a nightmare on the highway! blew a hyddraulic line and the rear slide came all the way out on the highway! A tractor trailer could have taken us out! I am talking to the safety commision at this time! the hoses are cheap and forrest river should replace all of them! this will be a recall! I will not stop until this rv is safe to drive.
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #129

Daddio, contact James Armstrong at Forest River we found the same problem 2 wks ago and he told us to take to a service dept and FR would take care of it as we have a 2011 and out of warranty, he said this is a special situation. It's in shop now.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #130

Sorry John Armstrong. jarmstrong@forestriverinc.com
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #131

When I had mine replaced by the dealer prior to delivery of my 2011 330TS, they only replaced 5 of 7 orange hoses. I was told Forest River only authorized 5 replacements. In addition, it was explained to me that they could tell the defective hoses (or not I suppose) by a numbering system by each foot of hose as it came off of the master roll at the factory. I told the dealer that must of been one huge roll if this problem has been reported from at least 2010 models and perhaps even earlier. How many thousands of units were produced from that supposed roll? Anyways, when I took my rig on its maiden weekend trip, doing an inspection under the rig, did I find out they only replaced 5 hoses. When I returned it to the dealer, to their credit this time they called a local outside company to come in and custom make the 2 remaining hoses on site. Perhaps they were frustrated with FR too?
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
Old 10-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #132

I have a 2010 Georgetown motorhome and noticed hydraulic fluid leaking from pump and found some had sprayed in some compartments. Dealer found that all the orange return lines for the slide-outs and leveling jacks were blistered. They called Forest River to try to get the kit with all hoses needed and could not get them. I have seen many other post on this same problem so it should have been a RECALL by Forrest River. Repair shop has had motorhome for 4 weeks now trying to negotiate with Forest River and Easy Care for a payment before they can go out and have hoses made. Love our r.v but am missing 3 planned trips because of this. This is a SAFETY issue as the slides started coming out going down the road. It is unsafe until we can resolve this. The problem seems to be affecting at least 3 model years from what I have read.
Bonnie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #133
Pete

We have a 2010 GT 378TS. Went to the factory Sept. 24; left on Sept 26. FR warranty department replaced the orange hoses on hydraulics, put on new entry steps that had failed, replaced ceiling panels that had dropped down (3rd time), new ice maker, new hot water element and fixed several other small items.

Their service was great! No complaints from me. Don’t know why others have commented so negatively on FR warranty service. Maybe the Sugar versus Vinegar theory?

In fairness, it was easier for us than most, to go to the factory because we are full timers and scheduled a trip to Elkhart and other points in Indiana and Michigan.
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #134

Forgive me for saying this, but it seem that most people complain about the NUMBER of problems/failures and the general ineptness of the dealer network. I believe Forest River could do themselves a lot of good if they would jerk a few franchises from the worst offenders and get tougher on the dealer workmanship.

As for the Elkhart bunch, I have heard almost no complaints about their warranty work and, i am sure the folks at the August rally will support that comment.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #135
BJ

You are very lucky.
Bjs306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #136

Satisfaction on blistering hose problem

I sent an e-mail to John Armstrong at Forest River this morning telling of my problem and wondering why "no recall" on hoses. Received a phone call from him 10 min. later saying he would call my mechanic and they would cover it. He was a very nice man and I wish I had did this 4 wks ago. ( I would be sitting at Lowe's Motor Speedway right now. Sorry my mechanic was getting the runaround from Easy Care.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend302 View Post
Forgive me for saying this, but it seem that most people complain about the NUMBER of problems/failures and the general ineptness of the dealer network. I believe Forest River could do themselves a lot of good if they would jerk a few franchises from the worst offenders and get tougher on the dealer workmanship.

As for the Elkhart bunch, I have heard almost no complaints about their warranty work and, i am sure the folks at the August rally will support that comment.

Bill
You are so very right about weeding out the dealers that don't give good service.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #138

I had an interesting discussion with a Lippert rep about this problem. The answer I was given was "There's no problem with the hoses. The problem occurs when the crimped fitting at the end of the hose isn't correctly assembled and high pressure hydraulic fluid gets into the hose through the fitting. It then travels up the hose through the outer layers and shows up as blisters."

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
I had an interesting discussion with a Lippert rep about this problem. The answer I was given was "There's no problem with the hoses. The problem occurs when the crimped fitting at the end of the hose isn't correctly assembled and high pressure hydraulic fluid gets into the hose through the fitting. It then travels up the hose through the outer layers and shows up as blisters."

Phil
Sorry to not understand the Lippert answer. How is it the jacket survives the onslaught of high pressure for 6'+ away from the fittings? The failures are not always "at the fitting". Sharp turns figure in as well as the pump I believe may be overpressuring the hoses in periods of hydraulic shock aka "water hamer". Just thinkin out loud, gotta be more than fittings applied wrong.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #140

I believe the problem stems from the hydraulic hoses being stored outside, water get into the inside of the hoses and rusts out the steel mesh lining of the hose. The blisters occur where the mesh has rusted through and you now have the pressure of the fluid pressing against the inner and outer hose. Lippert's exuse sounds lame because the hose would burst and not blister under their version of cause. Just like my dealer told me they can tell by the foot of where the poor quality hoses came from off of the hose spool and I told them it must be one hell of a spool if it covers more than 2 model years of Forest River RV's.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly