Old 06-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #1

Cabinet Door Mirror Insert Glue

I had the mirror insert in the cabinet door above the dinette come off this weekend. It is held in by a tan glue or caulk like stuff. Its about a 1/4 inch in diameter and looks like it might come off a roll like two sided tape. Any idea what it is and where I can get some? I also have a large insert in the bedroom coming loose in one spot and that glue/caulk looks more like a silicone caulk. Any info and that one and I can get two items checked off the MH fix list?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #2

Ours are glued in with something looking like caulking but not as pliable. Looks like it was squeezed out of a tube. So far we haven't had any troubles with the mirror inserts coming loose (knock on wood). You might try inserting a few glazing points to keep the mirrors in place and then re-glue with Goop or something similar.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
I had the mirror insert in the cabinet door above the dinette come off this weekend. It is held in by a tan glue or caulk like stuff. Its about a 1/4 inch in diameter and looks like it might come off a roll like two sided tape. Any idea what it is and where I can get some? I also have a large insert in the bedroom coming loose in one spot and that glue/caulk looks more like a silicone caulk. Any info and that one and I can get two items checked off the MH fix list?
Ours too, same area, last summer. Left the door open over night while we loaded up for vacation. Found the mirror dangling from the cabinet the next day by the adhesive. I removed the whole thing, removed the remaining adhesive, if you want to call it that, and reattached using liquid nails. It's been there since and no effect on the mirrored backing.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #4

Nail the Glass Insert

Well, I know liquid nail well and hadn't thought of anything that strong for this application. If the glass is broken by something inside or for that matter outside, then liquid nail is going to make the next fix much tougher. On the other hand the glass ain't never, no way, no how, gonna fall out again.

Before I try that I'm going to wait for some cabinet guy to suggest a "softer" fix. Thanks for the suggestion. If my next fix doesn't do it then I'll "nail" it.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

3M double sided foam tape. Sold in very small quantities in the mirror section at Lowe's and Home depot. I would suggest trying to buy a roll, and use what you think you need. If the mirror ever needed replacing, you can maybe get it loose, and only have some tape residue to clean off. Been holding mine for over a year.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #6

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

I will be in Home Depot today to get the double sided tape. Thanks Windrider.