Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #1

Cabinet Door Upside Down?

In the image of the Cabinets in a 2017 270S, the door above the microwave appears to be installed upside down intentionally? It does not have a door snubber either. This should only need to be opened when you are NOT moving or NOT in the process of actual cooking (stove below microwave). Is this another example of FR protecting someone from themselves being stupid, saving $, or just done wrong?

With this type of orientation, it induces one to drop stuff easier because the door is in the way. I have a cross bar installed to keep items from falling when driving and on initial opening after stopping.

I will probably do a 180 on the door attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MW Cab Door.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	136506  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #2

Weird! Have you connected FR for an explanation?

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #3

Yep here is one put on correctly on a 2017 270S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	136524  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkulbok View Post
Weird! Have you connected FR for an explanation?
I'd bet one of the Yoder brothers had his head on backwards that day, or upside down, from pondering when the next horse auction was to be held.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #5

I have the same setup on my 351DS. I thought the same thing, like was this a friday build? After looking at the setup closely it makes sense. The microwave is also the stove vent. The micro vents it up and out, not to the outside, so by opening the cabinet door down and then reaching in, it would prevent you from possibly getting burned by the hot vented air.
KEliasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEliasz View Post
I have the same setup on my 351DS. I thought the same thing, like was this a friday build? After looking at the setup closely it makes sense. The microwave is also the stove vent. The micro vents it up and out, not to the outside, so by opening the cabinet door down and then reaching in, it would prevent you from possibly getting burned by the hot vented air.
As I said, I would enter that cabinet rarely and if ever prior to cooking and then never once cooking commences.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
As I said, I would enter that cabinet rarely and if ever prior to cooking and then never once cooking commences.

Makes sense. Our 270S, the door opens down.
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #8

Pretty easy switch if you want to go to the trouble. Your only issue will be the holes left by the screws. Also an easy fix with a calk pencil. Rockler.com sells retrofit soft close or "snubbers".
Old 05-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #9

Check at a big box store (Lowe's, Home Depot or Wally World) and you can pick up the snubbers or internal door latches/magnets (I wouldn't use magnets) at a reasonable price.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #10

upside door

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEliasz View Post
The only problem with that set up is the heat and steam from the cooktop will ruin the finish on the door over time.
Ken Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #11

Sense

Again, I have too many years doing stuff the right way the First time vs taking a WM shortcut approach that will burn (lol - no pun intended) you in the long run.

Simply put, do not reach over Flames or hot objects, It is when not if, No points for second place, .... Many ways to explain the same thoughts.

So, Unless I have a bad day (mistake), I have no intention of opening that cabinet door unless parked and not cooking.

Thanks for showing me GT was not consistent in their thinking either - so the Question is Which was the Friday - doing it right or wrong?
Old 05-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Check at a big box store (Lowe's, Home Depot or Wally World) and you can pick up the snubbers or internal door latches/magnets (I wouldn't use magnets) at a reasonable price.

Here are some Snubbers at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N57HAFT?psc=1

Many others on a search there
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...umatic+Support
Old 05-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #13

While you're looking, check the two cabinet doors over the bedroom slideout. In my 2015 GT 364, the handles are at the top. So, the door pulls down while opening and gets in the way if you try to pull something out of the cabinet. What's worse is, if you do like I did, and try to open the slide with the door open (down) it will rip off the molding at the top of the slide.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #14

let me get this straight our oven vents inside the cabinet??

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #15

Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
let me get this straight our oven vents inside the cabinet??
You need to look at your specific unit (TT, RV, ...) On some the range hood vents overboard (outside) and on others it just recirculates it back inside through the vent hood (? top) attached to a cabinet bottom and you will need to use one of your "Max Air" fans to remove the heat, smoke, ... from the unit.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #16

I think the door is supposed to be on that way!
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:27 PM   #17

Our 2015 351DS is installed the same way.
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #18

Wow. I saw this post a while ago and while I was doing my pre first trip cleaning tonight I saw that my 364ts has it too. Funny thing but I see the logic. If you put the hand on the bottom and lift up a short person would not be able to reach the ceiling to pull it down. Also your handle would bang on your ceiling every time you opened it leaving a dent. Lastly it would require a gas spring which is another thing that could go bad and have to be replace. I thought it looked upside down too but when I was opening it and closing it these all came to me. I'm leaving it as is
Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowning View Post
Our 2015 351DS is installed the same way.
Our 2014 is also

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walte1fr View Post
Wow. I saw this post a while ago and while I was doing my pre first trip cleaning tonight I saw that my 364ts has it too. Funny thing but I see the logic. If you put the hand on the bottom and lift up a short person would not be able to reach the ceiling to pull it down. Also your handle would bang on your ceiling every time you opened it leaving a dent. Lastly it would require a gas spring which is another thing that could go bad and have to be replace. I thought it looked upside down too but when I was opening it and closing it these all came to me. I'm leaving it as is
I guess that is why they make vanilla and chocolate ice cream.
As you say, depending on height, one needs to have a step stool inside regardless - to reach inside, regardless of door. Door opening down aggravates reaching inside even worse.

Tags
door