Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #1

Cables on side of slide

2015 351DS, what is the purpose of the cables on the side of the slides? We have one that broke but I can still push and pull my slides. Repair guy said he's never seen this slide system and he didn't know how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
sdowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #2

I thong think they are called Accu-slide system
One cable on the top and one on the bottom
Look up Accu-slide on the Internet. You should be able to find the manual
Old 07-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

Cables are what pulls the slide in and out. If one snapped, take it to a shop immediately to get it fixed - your slide right now is broken and you're either going to damage it or the slide motors.
Starboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #4

It takes 4 cables to operate. It will still go in and out because all of the strain for the slide is being transferred to other cables. They will fail soon.
Preadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

Getting to a shop is not available right now. I'm leaving it in and trying to get home. I couldn't find anyone in our part of Texas to fix it. My husband didn't think it was broken even after I showed him where it snapped.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #6

Cable broke on my 351 as well

I took my brand new Georgetown 351 out last year for the very 1st time and as we were bringing one of the slides back in... a cable broke. Damaged floor badly.
The nuts on the slides are not strong enough... bring your unit in (hopefully it's under warranty) and get new bolts... Forest River is well aware of this problem.
And watch your slides every time. It scares me every time I push the slide button, sadly.
Having said that, we know things happen with a moving house... and I will say St Louis RV did a tremendous job fixing my unit.
Good luck.
philthy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:28 PM   #7

Cable Slides

I broke one last summer on my 2015 Charleston. In addition to adding pushing/pulling force to moving the slides, they also help hold the slide in the proper position when extended.

From the school of hard knocks: It is critically important to make sure your cables are tensioned properly. New cables will stretch - so it's very important to check the tensions periodically. After a while, they should reach a point that they don't stretch as much, but I'd still check them twice a year or so.

Mine got out of whack, and the slides had dropped so far when extended, I could not open my basement doors fully. Unfortunately, I was on the road when this happened - the next day, the cable broke when it was retracting. Had to do the remaining 6 weeks of the trip with no dining room slide.

Earlier on the same trip, my other big slide started coming in at an angle so out of spec that the crown molding at the top of the slide shattered when hitting the A/C ducts on the ceiling. Also caused by cable stretch...

Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #8

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckabrahamson View Post
I broke one last summer on my 2015 Charleston. In addition to adding pushing/pulling force to moving the slides, they also help hold the slide in the proper position when extended.

From the school of hard knocks: It is critically important to make sure your cables are tensioned properly. New cables will stretch - so it's very important to check the tensions periodically. After a while, they should reach a point that they don't stretch as much, but I'd still check them twice a year or so.

Mine got out of whack, and the slides had dropped so far when extended, I could not open my basement doors fully. Unfortunately, I was on the road when this happened - the next day, the cable broke when it was retracting. Had to do the remaining 6 weeks of the trip with no dining room slide.

Earlier on the same trip, my other big slide started coming in at an angle so out of spec that the crown molding at the top of the slide shattered when hitting the A/C ducts on the ceiling. Also caused by cable stretch...

Carl
How do you check and adjust the tension?
Old 07-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #9

Cables Break, Do Slides Stay in?

Does anyone know that if the Tension Cables to the Slide outs break and you have to Push the slide back in... Will it stay shut? Is there a break system that keeps it in? Will the other 3 cables keep it in?
When it happened to me, dealership told me to drive slow for the 10 miles I had to go... I did, it didn't come out, but it scared me that it would or could.

Any info on this would be helpful.
philthy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #10

My old Georgetown has two hydraulic slides and one electric AccuSlide for the wardrobe. A cable on the AccuSlide broke or jammed last summer in Maine. A local repair shop got it retracted and we finished the trip with the slide in.

When we went to Florida last winter, I took it to B&E in Ocala for repair. They had to remove the slide and rework all the cables. Works now!

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouownbeer View Post
How do you check and adjust the tension?
I had my service center do it.
Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:50 AM   #12
new to georgetownMesa,

Cable Slides

My 2008 Georgetown 337 has this Accu-Slide system for keeping the slide from tilting as it goes in or out by the hydraulic system. It has eight cables, four on each end of the slide. I'm still learning how to open or close the slide without leaving too much tension on the cables to prevent their breaking. The manual that I found on the FR website says to ensure the cables have an inch or so of vertical play when the slide is in or out.

So far, have replaced several cables over the 3 years of ownership. Best repair work has been by the selling dealer (bought it used) who has become a FR dealer.

Locally in the Phoenix area, found "Little Dealer, Little Prices" in Mesa at Loop 202 and Country Club Drive to be a good repair facility. They fixed our refrigerator when others, including the selling dealer couldn't.

Jim
jamesgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:17 AM   #13

Here is the manual for a accuslide about how to repair and bring it in and out with the flex connector that you should have gotten. Second Question this week on the accuslide. Maybe our Moderators can put this in the FRF library. Hope this helps some of you folks....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bedroom Slide adjustments.pdf (1.28 MB, 215 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:44 AM   #14

Good Post WD,this can/should Help Members with their "ACCU-Slides"! Youroo!!
Old 07-24-2016, 08:53 AM   #15

We bought the RV new 2 years ago. I spent 4 days doing the PDI. When I asked about the slides, all I was told was if they fail you can't bring them in manually. I didn't know what type of slide it was, or to my knowledge given any tool to fix them. I still have all the parts. There is nothing in my manuals about the slides. I have read thru all that I was given. I don't even have the manual to my A/C units and I have one acting up. Thank you for the link. I will look at it. This is for my living room slide. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the "white cover " they put over all the cables. Thank you again. It's a little "hot " here in Phoenix and I'm a little fried right now.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowning View Post
We bought the RV new 2 years ago. I spent 4 days doing the PDI. When I asked about the slides, all I was told was if they fail you can't bring them in manually. I didn't know what type of slide it was, or to my knowledge given any tool to fix them. I still have all the parts. There is nothing in my manuals about the slides. I have read thru all that I was given. I don't even have the manual to my A/C units and I have one acting up. Thank you for the link. I will look at it. This is for my living room slide. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the "white cover " they put over all the cables. Thank you again. It's a little "hot " here in Phoenix and I'm a little fried right now.
You have to disconnect the power to the motor at the end you will see a plug if there our just the hole you put the flex bit in then hook the other end up to the cordless drill, this will allow you to bring the slide in and out, broken cable or not the chain is what controls it. If you need a picture of the flex tool I can post it for you to see... PS: I don't know if you have a Coleman or a dometic A/C , You can get the manual on line or if it is a coleman mach I can give you that info....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #17

I think there are 8 cables, 4 to pull in and 4 to pull out. Determine the mfgr. and find the youtube video that shows replacement procedures.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide