Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #1

Camp site breaker blowing when I plug in...help!

I had this problem before and it went away for a few trips but it is back.

Scenario:
1) plug my 50 amp cord into the dog bone to convert to 30 amp plug
2) plug into camp post
3) I can hear the automatic transfer relay switch on the rig click
4) the breaker on the post immediately trips

Things I have tried
1) never had the problem on 50 amp service
2) same issue now on 20 amp 120 service
3) I switched the 120 main breaker on the house to off and it still trips the post breaker
4) everything works fine on generator

I think it is a faulty transfer relay. One question I have is: is there anything wired between the main house breaker panel and the relay that could be shorting.

Possible problems:
1) faulty relay switch
2) bad power cord

Any other thoughts welcomed!
Old 09-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #2

maybe you're already on the right track...but first, do the easy thing: remove the front of your Main panel in the coach, and the ATS(auto transfer switch box), usually nearby, and check both for the TORQUE on all the breaker wiring and screw inputs. These can many times be loose from the factory, or just get loose fairly quickly after a few camping trips.

A loose wire in the ATS can easily look like the symptoms you have. Everything works fine on the generator, so the generator side wiring seems to be tight. Everything works fine when plugged into 50amp shore power - but, this could be misleading, as maybe only 1/2 of your items really are working. Since you are tripping a 30amp shore breaker when you are using a 50amp to 30amp adapter, it sounds like one 'side'(hot leg) of your shore cord is not working correctly, which may actually be one WIRE coming into your ATS from the shore power. The same for adapting down to the 15/20amp household outlet.

Tighten all wires, and test to see if it changes.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
maybe you're already on the right track...but first, do the easy thing: remove the front of your Main panel in the coach, and the ATS(auto transfer switch box), usually nearby, and check both for the TORQUE on all the breaker wiring and screw inputs. These can many times be loose from the factory, or just get loose fairly quickly after a few camping trips.

A loose wire in the ATS can easily look like the symptoms you have. Everything works fine on the generator, so the generator side wiring seems to be tight. Everything works fine when plugged into 50amp shore power - but, this could be misleading, as maybe only 1/2 of your items really are working. Since you are tripping a 30amp shore breaker when you are using a 50amp to 30amp adapter, it sounds like one 'side'(hot leg) of your shore cord is not working correctly, which may actually be one WIRE coming into your ATS from the shore power. The same for adapting down to the 15/20amp household outlet.

Tighten all wires, and test to see if it changes.

Good advice, I also plan to check the cord in the morning.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Perhaps the 50-30 amp dogbone is having an issue and needs to be replaced.

Or is there an AC unit or other high draw item turned on when the power circuit in the pedestal is flipped on?

Or maybe the pedestal is bad...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Perhaps the 50-30 amp dogbone is having an issue and needs to be replaced.

Or is there an AC unit or other high draw item turned on when the power circuit in the pedestal is flipped on?

Or maybe the pedestal is bad...

It happens with two different dog bones, and it happens when my house main breaker is turned OFF, so there should be zero load. That is why I asked the question about anything wired between the relay switch and house breaker panel.

Thanks for the thoughts, it all helps.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #6

Dead short

I had same problem on my 2017 Sabre. Was a dead short on the black leg of the 50 amp service. Repaired by running new 8-3 wire from camper plug to breaker box. Never did find the short. I only dropped enough if the under belly to run new wire, old faulty wire is still there. I just disconnected the black leg. It was found by doing a continuity check. First on the outside cord, next on the cord while plugged into camper and checking it at the breaker box. Cost me about $90 for the new wire and half a day of my time to repair.
High Country Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:51 PM   #7

If you have a volt ohm meter check all the pins of the plugs for short. Rig cord and then adapter cord. Set meter on ohms setting. Put a test lead on one the plug's pin , and the the other test lead touching 1 of the other pins, one at a time, then move your first test lead to another plug pin, test all the combinations possible, if meter goes to zero . there is your short. if there is another known good power supply make sure its not the power source. now that "I" am totally confused take it to a shop, and let them figure it out.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #8

Plugged into the next camp ground which was 50 amp and had no problems. Called Progressive about the relay switch and they indicated they had never heard of the problem before. They suggested that I continuity of the cord with the dog bone on, which is my next step.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #9

Checked at the next camp ground and the site had both 50 and 30 amp plugs, both worked fine. At a complete loss now☹️
Old 09-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
It could just be too much load. turn all breakers off then try it. Water heater, convertor, fridge, etc.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker