Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Happy Member

Camping During the Holidays

Hello everyone,

Now that we have our GT, we are contemplating the idea of spending one of the upcoming winter holidays camping. We live in So Cal and was wondering if anyone has any great spots they would recommend. We decided to trade the drama with the fam for a nice weekend relaxing and enjoying our kids!

Looking forward to any respones...thanks!

2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

We did Disney World for Christmas this past year. We traded family insanity for people inanity! But, we had a great time in spite of it all.

But, we did agree- it's not an every year kind of thing for us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2284059684.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	35600   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1340477054.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	35601   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3568348822.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	35602   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-924237443.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	35603  

Old 07-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
Happy Member

That's pretty cool, we r thinking to take our first shot at it this Thanksgiving.
looks like you guys had a blast....!
thanks for sharing your pics.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Wife and I were actually just texting. Since our camper's going back to the factory and we'll likely not have it in Sept & Oct (or some part of them), about going a little south in search of warmer weather for Thanksgiving.

Not sure where yet...
Old 07-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm heading to San Clemente State Beach. This year will be the first big holidays I will be there instead of home. I like camping with full hookups so my choices are somewhat more limited. I like the beach because its not usually as cold as it is at home.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Anacortesians

Since we're retired, we try to avoid any "holidays", including the summer school breaks. There are just too many rug-rats around, along with their "forgiving" parents that we just don't want the hassles. We normally go out int late May/early June before the schools are out and then again after Labor Day. We don't get the kind of utilisation I'd like to get for the amount of money we have invested in the RV, but it's just not worth the hassle.

Typical old fart bias, I guess.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
Since we're retired, we try to avoid any "holidays", including the summer school breaks. There are just too many rug-rats around, along with their "forgiving" parents that we just don't want the hassles. We normally go out int late May/early June before the schools are out and then again after Labor Day. We don't get the kind of utilisation I'd like to get for the amount of money we have invested in the RV, but it's just not worth the hassle.

Typical old fart bias, I guess.
We do camp in the summer, but not on holiday weekends, particularly long holiday weekends.

That said, we went to Lake Isabella in Southern CaL with daughter and DH in both MoHos over the long 4th weekend, and it was horrendous! The lake is low for dam repairs, so only one ramp was open for launching deep-draft boats. We would've waited 5-6 hours to launch, and the lake was so low that I'd have been reluctant to anchor out beside our campsite.
The genny ran 24-7 for 4 days due to the heat (even at night), and it was so muggy that you couldn't sit outside until 8:00PM!

The lake, normally 20' from our site was at least 500' away! The only area where you could safely get a motorhome on the lake, by the dam, was at least two units deep everywhere. Ugh, and never again on "Amateur Weekends"!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #8

Until we started to full-time we would gather a bunch of our RV friends and stay a few days around the Christmas Holidays at Stephen S. Foster State Park in North Florida. The park is displayed with thousands and thousands of lights, the bell tower plays Christmas music and the Village is set up with all types of entertainment. Check it out, if you can get in.

Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote