Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #1

Carrier Bearing Lube

While a local shop had my Georgetown up on a lift recently I took the oportunity to wander around underneath it. It was about a 25 minute drive to get to the shop so everything was warm. However I was surprised to find that the driveline was warm to the touch, almost hot. Feeling along it it seemed like the hottest part of the drive line was at the front carrier bearing.

Anyone know how to lube these? I'm not getting any noise from it but it does have 45,000 miles on it. So I'm sure some lube would be appreciated. There where no zerk fitting on the carrier bearing.

P.S. It's a heck of a thing watching your rig rise up on one of those lifts. 20,000lbs going up into the air like magic. The lift did make some groaning sounds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0951-resized.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	17160  
Old 07-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #2

I can't speak to your bearing specifically, but most carrier bearings are a sealed bearing that you can't lube. Being where they are located (they catch a lot of road grime) they are sealed for longer life. I don't think it's uncommon for a bearing under that much stress to be almost hot to the touch.
I have used a small pick to take out the seal on smaller bearings, grease them, and carefully put the seal back in. I'm not sure I would want to do that to a carrier bearing though. Probably better off replacing it if your concerned about it.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Just replace it don't mess with lubing it.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #4

replacing is abt ur only option. i had one that was whining on a ford pkup. i cut into it and put grease in it. it lasted abt 3 more months then froze. had blue smoke come out from back as bearing twisted in the rubber mounting. drove abt 5 mph to a parking lot then left it until after work. they are no fun when they give. extreme vibration. was afraid the drive shaft was going to come off.

i would not expect it to be hot.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote