Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Are you speaking of a tire and wheel?

On a motorhome application it should. Unless you find a rare directional pattern tread application for the tire.

If you carry only a tire it would not make any difference even if the pattern was directional.
Yes, tire and wheel. Would it fit all positions. The rear inners are facing in. In other words, would you need a spare (tire and rim) for the front or rear outer, and then another spare for the rear inner? My tires are not directional.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarr View Post
On the other hand... If you don't know how to change the tire or you can't due to physical limitations or you just don't want to, then it wouldn't make any difference. Road service call anyway.
That's true. I'd have to look at the policies. We have roadside that came with our insurance and the extended warranty we purchased has a tire policy. If we were to get a flat that cannot be repaired, I believe we would have to pay for a new tire (not sure what the tire policy covers). If that's the case then we would be better off having a tire/rim as a spare and the labor to get it installed would be covered. If we don't have a spare then we would get ripped off by having to pay whatever they ask.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:54 PM   #13

I pull a trailer, so yes, I have a spare. In fact, two spares for the trailer and 2 for the towing vehicle. We have had good luck not having many flats while traveling. This summer in the Yukon, we came across a guy with no spare. 125 miles from any type of service and no cell phone coverage. Took him two days to get back on the road. I guess it boils down to where you are at, are you capable of doing the work yourself and how long you want to wait.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf465 View Post
I pull a trailer, so yes, I have a spare. In fact, two spares for the trailer and 2 for the towing vehicle. We have had good luck not having many flats while traveling. This summer in the Yukon, we came across a guy with no spare. 125 miles from any type of service and no cell phone coverage. Took him two days to get back on the road. I guess it boils down to where you are at, are you capable of doing the work yourself and how long you want to wait.
I wasn't going to say anything because I also have a trailer but...

X2 + bearings
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #15

Regardless of the type of rig, if you are going up to the Yukon with out a spare tire and a few other things, yes I think one can be called stupid! On my previous A, an Allegro I had a spare tire carrier and spare mounted the rear steel bumper. On one occasion I arrived at our campground, set up and popped open a beer and discovered a screw sticking out of the right front wheel near the side wall. I waited to the day we were leaving to call Good Sam, timing it with break down and departure. Timing was perfect, but the guy that arrived did not have a jack small enough to fit under my axle. He was equipped to work on semi's! So I raised the wheel with my levelers. Next he did not have a 15/16's socket to fit my lugs, so I lent him mine. Nope, no 1/2 ratchet to fit the socket either! Pulled out mine. However, he did have a 5ft. breaker bar to bust free the lugs, which I would never of been able to due with just my large ratchet. Young fellow did attach taken off tire to the tire carrier though, I had the spare inside under the bed and he helped with that, damn they are heavy! All in all the kid that came out was nice and I still tipped him $20 for his efforts.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #16

I travel a lot in my motorhome and don't carry a spare.
If your tires are good you may have a puncture and not need a total new tire if it is a nail or screw.
I bought this kit for emergency repairs and have a good air compressor onboard.

1. BLACK JACK TIRE REPAIR KIT KT-335
(This is the truck tire repair kit not the standard car one)
T-BONE HANDLES W/ 35 PLUGS
Black Jack Tire Repair Kit with 35 repairs.
Kit includes: T-Bone Handle with spiral probe
about $43

2. I also have Good Sam's Roadside Assistance but if I get a small leak I will repair myself.

3. I also have TST 510 tire monitor system that report in any small decrease in tire pressure.
It also monitors tire temps and every few seconds scans each tire and reports to screen while I'm driving.
Link TST 510 System |TST Trucking Systems

TST is now offering a THREE YEAR warranty on every system purchased in January!! PHONE IN ORDERS RECEIVE AN ADDITIONAL 10% OFF! CALL NOW 770 889 9102
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-B0NE35.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	45418  

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #17

If I was heading to the Yukon or Alaska I would find room for a spare. In the lower 48 I don't and if I have a flat I feel very confident they will have a tire to get me going. In the mean time I can put out the slides and have a cold beer until help arrives. There is no chance I could change the tire myself. If I had a Trailer I would have a spare for sure and maybe two.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
If I was heading to the Yukon or Alaska I would find room for a spare. In the lower 48 I don't and if I have a flat I feel very confident they will have a tire to get me going. In the mean time I can put out the slides and have a cold beer until help arrives. There is no chance I could change the tire myself. If I had a Trailer I would have a spare for sure and maybe two.
Good Point. Definitely heading into the Yukon or Alaska.
FYI many time if you need a spare they throw on a truck tire because most don't have motorhome RV tires. You will have to buy the proper one up the road again.

I have this years big trip of 12,000 miles planned and heading into the Canadian Maritime area and I'm not worried.
But then again I have good tires and not old ones.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #19
Grape Escape

Never seen a spare on any late model Class A yet
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #20

Several good points made here! Not having a class A I never thought about this question, but I think I would at minimum carry a tire (so I don't have to pay the premium rate for a replacement from road service - also to eliminate the risk of not being the correct size) and a plug kit with a pump (So I may be able to handle a simple flat problem from a nail myself).

Regarding trailers I have always carried a spare tire and a bearing kit, but the coolest thing I found a few years ago was this rolling jack! You just place it under the axel behind the flat wheel and roll it up on the eccentric. Break the lugs loose first of course.
Works like a champ - and speeds up the repair (no jacking needed for trailer now). I used it on a dual axel "Loaded - 12000lb total" toy hauler - I suspect since the other wheels are still on the ground it only sees about 5000lbs at most.