Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 04:28 PM   #1

CB radio install in 378TS

I'm considering installing a CB in our 378 to monitor what's going on ahead of us. Has anyone out there installed one - which model , mounting antenna , locating unit inside ?
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #2

I installed a Uniden 40 channel CB in our 2007 Georgetown 359. Put it on the left side of the dash. I don't know about yours but our rig had the cb antennae, and wiring already built into the coach. Had the CB hooked up and working in less than an hour. Transmits and receives good. Take a look under the left side of the dash for the power and ground wiring.
tseomrj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #3
Kanadian Kamper

Installed an old basic Radio Shack 40 channel model on the underside of the dash left of the steering column close to the outside wall. Easy access to power under there too.

I had a fibreglass CB antennae installed by a place that works in trucker rigs. It picks up a ground plane under the dash where I get power. I had him install the antennae 6" higher than my A/C units in case I'm going under trees or a roof at a gas station. I use it as a feeler for clearance.

Works well enough for getting traffic info at times.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #4

I just installed a cb in my class C. . I chose a Uniden Bearcat 880 with a 4ft Firestik II antenna. Works great. I took power directly from the battery to void an chance of interference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1476157124132.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	122658   Click image for larger version

Name:	1476157136301.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	122659   Click image for larger version

Name:	1476157155180.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	122660  
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:59 PM   #5

Installing a CB radio is the easy part.
The antenna will be the issue as the Georgetown is fiberglass with not much in metal for reflection.
The only anytenna I know of to use on a fiberglass body is...
Firestik NGP CB Antenna (NGP means No Ground Plane)
It has a special coax with built in resistors to form a ground plane reflection.

Here is a nice kit with mount from Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Firestik-...&wl13=&veh=sem
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 06:23 AM   #6

Iggy is correct in that a ground plane will be difficult on the Georgetown. . The Firestik NGP and NGP coax is an excellent choice for the task.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #7

This system served me well for what you are wanting one for. Everything is in the mike and the R/T can be remotely mounted.
Attached Images

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #8

I installed the Bearcat 980SSB with the Firestik NGP antenna on my 3500DS and it works great, no problems
Danesville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #9

This is a link to the full antenna kit and has a great video telling about how it gets installed.
https://www.rightchannelradios.com/c...annel-radios-1
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #10

As you can see in Iggy post the stud are short on the mount, so in my case I had to extend them with castle nut to manage my wall thickness on 2.250 inches but it did not affect the signal strength FYI
Danesville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesville View Post
As you can see in Iggy post the stud are short on the mount, so in my case I had to extend them with castle nut to manage my wall thickness on 2.250 inches but it did not affect the signal strength FYI
Here is a picture what someone did by cutting out the interior wall inside his cabinet.

Also it comes with 17 ft of coax that you can not shorten.
Any excess needs to be coiled in a figure 8 pattern and not in a regular loop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NGP_Side_Mount-5_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	122743  
Old 10-11-2016, 09:33 PM   #12

Anyone have any experience with the"thru the glass" antennas. I just can't see drilling holes in my 378 coach.....
360true is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360true View Post
Anyone have any experience with the"thru the glass" antennas. I just can't see drilling holes in my 378 coach.....
Many years ago I did. Like 1990's
It can work but diminished receive and transmit distance greatly.
Do they still have them?

Iggy
Old 10-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #14

Had CBS for years, pulled it all out and enjoy the peace and quite and no horrible language. Got to where I don't really care what's up there if the explanation is vulgar. Had the CB since the 80's and only needed one for some type of event one time, and oddly enough found it would not transmit so we worked around it and didn't need it after all. Have fun with your toy and noise.

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Had CBS for years, pulled it all out and enjoy the peace and quite and no horrible language. Got to where I don't really care what's up there if the explanation is vulgar. Had the CB since the 80's and only needed one for some type of event one time, and oddly enough found it would not transmit so we worked around it and didn't need it after all. Have fun with your toy and noise.

JimF
I have to agree with Jim.
CB is old school and unless you plan on travelling regularly with friends who have CB radios I think its a waste of time installing and money on a toy.

Now if you want something that has value install a 50 amp Progressive Power Management System that will stop those bad volt and amps at campgrounds from destroying things inside.

Link
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

Here is one on EBay for $255 Free shipping and no tax
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive-...25.m3641.l6368

Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 50A Surge Protector with Voltage Protection
Provides total electrical protection of RV electronics and complete digital readout of the AC power source.
High/Low Voltage Protection:
Whenever AC power falls below 104 volts, or rises above 132 volts, the EMS automatically shuts down power to the RV. The EMS will monitor the power and once the AC power rises above 104 volts, or below the 132 volt level, the time delay indicator flashes for the preset time and then automatically restores power to the RV.
Time Delay for A/C Compressor:
If the AC power isinterrupted, or the EMS detects a fault condition, the built-in time delay is activated. There are tow settings on the EMS: one is 136 seconds (02:16), and the other is 15 seconds. Consult your air conditioner manual to see if it has a time delay built in. If so, use the 15 second delay, if not; use the 136 second delay. The factory setting is 15 seconds.
5-Mode Surge Protection:
This feature provides full surge protection L-N, L-N, L-G, L-L and N-G. Total Joule rating is 3,580, 88,000A surge current. Response time of <1 nano second.
Surge Indicator:
In the event of a power surge, and the surge protector circuit is damaged within the EMS, L-N or L-G, the digital display error code will read E-10. This indicates the EMS needs to be serviced.
Reverse Polarity Protection:
If AC power is a reverse polarity condition, the EMS will not allow power to the RV and the error code will read E-1.
Open Neutral Protection:
If AC power has an open neutral condition, the display will not light, and the EMS will not allow power to the RV.
Open Ground Protection:
If AC power has an open ground condition, the EMS will read an error code of E-2 and power will not be allowed to the RV.
AC Frequency Protection:
If AC power frequency deviates +/- 9 hertz from 60 cycles per second, the EMS will shut down power. An error code of E-7 will be displayed when the frequency is high; and an error code will be displayed when frequency is low.
Accidental 240V Protection:
If 240 volts is detected when plugging into AC power, the EMS will NOT allow power to the RV. If this condition occurs while power is applied to the RV, the EMS shuts off power instantly. The display will read the voltage and E-3 for the error. (NEVER BYPASS THE EMS WHEN THIS OCCURS.)
Display:
Continuously scrolls all of the AC power information, including voltage, current, frequency, error codes and previous errors. Each reading is displayed for two (2) seconds.
Previous Error Code:
This feature tells the user what the previous error was and why power was interrupted to the RV. To read a previous error code, put a "P" in front of the "E" code. This is only displayed if an actual error occurs. The error is deleted when power is disconnected from the EMS.
Bypass:
Enclosed blue jumper wire allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing AC power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS; however, all other features are disabled.
Modular Design:
Replacement parts are designed for simple plug and play, making repairs extremely user friendly.
Microprocessor Controlled:
The computer is driven by a state-of-the-art microprocessor that is programmed with software to drive the entire EMS.

Comes with lifetime Warranty. Product Size 5'W x 9-1/2"L x 4-1/2"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	439d5a_7369bd05ca6e4da79cb733aefafdd365.png
Views:	110
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	122896  
Old 10-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post

JimF
I have a friend that is a long haul truck driver and he says there is very little talk now on CBs. He rarely hears traffic updates like he would like to hear.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #17

Thanks to everyone who replied and for all the extra info included. Also took note of what JimF,Iggy and Cedar Creek Woody had to say about me possibly being dissappointed . Many years ago I drove truck and guys would pass along what conditions they'd driven through .Time was you could make a fair living and enjoyed comraderie. I guess that's not the case anymore
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #18

My OTR truck driver friend is really frustrated that he no longer gets traffic updates. Iggy is right, they can be nice if traveling in a caravan with other travelers but other than that they have fallen in disfavor.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #19

So now that it has quieted down and many idiots are off the air, we should start using it again for good, truckers and travelers of all positive sorts.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:58 PM   #20

I'm with you. . Years ago RV'ers use to use channel 13. . Don't know if that still holds true.

Tags
378ts, radio