Old 09-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #1

Center console mod?

So has anyone done anything with the center console? I've noticed after driving mine now for a handful of trips that the center console isn't placed and laid out well. The monitor is too low as well as the radio. IDE love to have the monitor about a foot higher than it is now and the radio below that.

I can't be the only one that doesn't like this setup! Has anyone found a replacement or come up with something. My only thought is to make something out of wood that I can layout the way I want. I've seen the newer Georgetowns and the console is a bit better but not by much and not worth getting as a replacement. Is there a place out there that sells a replacement mold that can be trimmed to fit the dash?

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #2
PPST Wannabe

To answer your question about a replacement mold? Nope.

I hardly look at the camera monitor, so although itís low, it doesnít really bother me.

Reaching the radio to make adjustments....if they had the steering wheel controls like in todayís real cars.......thatíd be my choice.

My dash is 10 years old, and they still havenít made a change in the newest Georgetowns. If you didnít know what it looks like outside, youíd never know the difference inside.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
To answer your question about a replacement mold? Nope.

I hardly look at the camera monitor, so although itís low, it doesnít really bother me.

Reaching the radio to make adjustments....if they had the steering wheel controls like in todayís real cars.......thatíd be my choice.

My dash is 10 years old, and they still havenít made a change in the newest Georgetowns. If you didnít know what it looks like outside, youíd never know the difference inside.
I use the monitor for he rear view camera when the Explorer is on the back. Where the side camera placement is it doesn't give you much depth perception so the right and left views aren't not very helpful. And yes the radio could've been positioned a lot better. I'm looking at a Pioneer that has a small unit you attach to the steering wheel.
Next year I may just make a cardboard template and make my own console out of thin oak plywood.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:35 AM   #4

I agree. We do the same when towing the Spark. It's nice to be able to regularly check on it. Having had a motorhome with a decent backup camera that I could use, I found it infinitely helpful then as well though still rely primarily on my miorros. We don't really use the radio much while driving. (Never really have.) But minimally, it would be nice if there were some sort of mod that at least let you angle the camera up a little and toward the driver . . . like some sort of two-way pivot mechanism. This a common problem for any coach using the Jensen or Pioneer systems.

Alternatively, I am going to get a mount for my iPad that we use for navigation. I'm toying with the idea of adding one of the wireless cameras for it and trying to figure out if there is a way to have it flip between camera display and navigation.

In the current configuration where the monitor is not all that useful I'm seriously considering disabling the side cameras. I thought they'd be a really helpful feature but with the monitor being so hard to see most of the time they really aren't. In fact, I've given myself about a dozen small heart attacks this year because I usually like to check on the toad when sitting and waiting to turn. Of course it isn't on the screen and since it is hard to see what you are looking at, it takes me a minute to get over the "Oh **** we lost the TOAD feeling".
2019 Georgetown GT5 31R5
Mr. October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Seasoned Camper-MH newbie

There was a post not long ago (AUGUST) where quite an extensive mod was done to the entire Dash. He Replaced and relocated about everything. Iíll try to find it.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldPE View Post
There was a post not long ago (AUGUST) where quite an extensive mod was done to the entire Dash. He Replaced and relocated about everything. Iíll try to find it.
Thanks. That would be great! I vaguely remember it, but didnít pay much if any attention to it!

Old 09-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
Senior Member - Retired

The following was posted in July of this year by kc6rzy

FR3 DS32 Mods

FR3 DS32 Mods
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, base plates, diode kit
SMI Stay-IN-Play Duo auxiliary braking system
25' Off shore blue water fishing boat
CA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Fisherman View Post
The following was posted in July of this year by kc6rzy

FR3 DS32 Mods

FR3 DS32 Mods
Thanks. I'll check it out. I was looking earlier but couldn't find anything.