Old 07-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #1

Changing Air Filter in F-53

Just got done changing the air filter in my 2007 373 on a F-53. Had so much fun thought I would write a post that may same someone else a minute or two. Warning this may not be the best way or the right way but its what worked for me. The housing is simple to get to and the three clips on the front flip up easy. Now the fun, in theory you can remove the air tube from the top of the box, push the air box top to the back and lift up to disengage the rear clips and lift the top off of the unit. I found that the air tube is so stiff on mine that pushing it off the attachment tube on the air box top impossible. Instead I removed the engine cover and loosened the clamp holding the air tube onto the intake of the engine and what appears to be a pcv hose from the air tube by pushing the green retainer to the passenger side to clear its clip and then forward. This allowed me to be able to pull the air tube to the rear so the front of it could be removed from the top of the air box. Then the top of the air box can be lifted and the filter element changed. Now the front drivers side clip snaps into the lower air box horizonally where the other two snap in vertically now I do not know if this is a safety warning if the element is not in correctly or some secret Ford planning but I do know if there is any pressure on the filter box top this clamp will keep popping off. So I learned to reattached the Air box top and its three clips first. I then put the air tube back on to the air box and tightened the clamp. Then went inside and attached the other end of the air tube on to the intake and tightened its clamp, reattached the PVC line and closed the engine cover back up. Its not really a bad job, like most stuff in these, its doing it for the first time in a space that is almost to tight. Only tool needed is a straight blade screwdriver to fit the hose clamps.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

You forgot to add the wonderful kink in your lower back when changing the filter. I'm not sure what else they could have done for the position of the box, but the way the box has to be opened could have been simpler! This an the fuse box to the left of the air filter box is another treat trying to get open.
Thanks for posting your details. I changed mine over to the Banks Cold Air Intake kit. It's easier to access. I still have the Ford set-up if anyone needs any of those parts.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
ME

At least you must have found the correct filter I tried three and are 0 for 3
Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I changed mine over to the Banks Cold Air Intake kit. It's easier to access. I still have the Ford set-up if anyone needs any of those parts.
Just curious...did you notice any change in performance?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #5

Sparks - Used a Wix 49136 - Construction is exactly the same right down to the imprints in the filter media as the Motorcraft I took out. I would say they were both made by the same company. My owners manual called for a Motorcraft FA 1782. I Picked it up from my local Bumper to Bumper that is very well stocked as a rule. Good Luck.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Just curious...did you notice any change in performance?

Dave
Yes, better pedal response. Climbing hills appears to be better without turning 4500 RPMs. Part of it could be I've gotten a bit better at approaching the hills but as for decelleration as I climb, it's minimal and if the hill isn't too severe I actually gain a few MPH. Better gas mileage, doubtful, might be saving a little since the engine isn't screaming going up hill. Overall I'm pleased with it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote