Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Merritt Island Fl.
Posts: 168
Changing over to golf cart batteries

This past week I replaced my ageing 12 volt house batteries with 6 volt golf cart batteries hooked in series. The ist thing I noticed is that the low voltage light on the jack controll didn't go on anymore. It may be my imagination but it seemed like the slides went in and out faster and the water had more pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	32652  
__________________

__________________
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Site Team
 
dcheatwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,379
Beautiful rig.
__________________

__________________
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypal
This past week I replaced my ageing 12 volt house batteries with 6 volt golf cart batteries hooked in series. The ist thing I noticed is that the low voltage light on the jack controll didn't go on anymore. It may be my imagination but it seemed like the slides went in and out faster and the water had more pressure.
The Lippert low voltage alarm is very sensitive, the hyd pump would for sure run faster with more voltage. Four year old + lead acid batteries will lose capacity, think your obsevation were prably correct.....
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
If you had bad batteries before that is why you probably got low voltages alot and the pump didn't turn as fast. New ones are full 13.6 volts total or more

Kind of curious on how you comapred the cold cranking amps from the two 12 volt batteries to two 6 volt batteries.
Usually the 12 volt batteries are 750-850 CCA.
What is it for the new 6 volts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome Home 001.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	32696  
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
Somewhat right of center
 
Crabbyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Beautiful rig.
I'll second that. Plus you live in Merrit Island.....I'm envious.
__________________
Crabbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Great Horned Owl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lake County, Illinois
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
If you had bad batteries before that is why you probably got low voltages alot and the pump didn't turn as fast. New ones are full 13.6 volts total or more

Kind of curious on how you comapred the cold cranking amps from the two 12 volt batteries to two 6 volt batteries.
Usually the 12 volt batteries are 750-850 CCA.
What is it for the new 6 volts?
Starting batteries are intended to provide lots of current for a very short time. Deep cycle batteries are intended to provide much lower currents for a much longer time. Batteries that have a CCA rating are either starting batteries or hybrid (marine) batteries. True deep cycle batteries (i.e. 6V golf cart batteries) do not have a CCA rating. What you want to look at on these, is the Amp Hour rating.

Joel
__________________
2011 Silverado 2500HD Duramax, 4x4, crew cab, long bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS, 27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B on Chevy chassis
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
Starting batteries are intended to provide lots of current for a very short time. Deep cycle batteries are intended to provide much lower currents for a much longer time. Batteries that have a CCA rating are either starting batteries or hybrid (marine) batteries. True deep cycle batteries (i.e. 6V golf cart batteries) do not have a CCA rating. What you want to look at on these, is the Amp Hour rating.

Joel

That is what I was thinking also. I just wanted to see how he decided on the specific amperage batteries he purchased to replace the old one lead acid.

Now we can talk about the advantage or disadvantages using lead acid or sealed deep cycle batteries in motorhomes
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Merritt Island Fl.
Posts: 168
Don't know much about batteries but do know the new ones are taller and much heavier.
__________________
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
ronhanson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
That is what I was thinking also. I just wanted to see how he decided on the specific amperage batteries he purchased to replace the old one lead acid.
Basically you want as many amp hours as you can get. The only limit is storage space for them.
__________________
Ron Hanson
2009 Georgetown 350TS (bunks)
400W solar, 440AH 6V GC2
2009 Ford Edge AWD Ltd towed
2011 Honda Fit Sport towed
ronhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
JimF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 348
You should also note that per the FR manual on the hydraulics it is stated very plainly that the slide should NOT be ran on the batteries alone, you should plug in to shore power or run the generator prior to activating the slides. The jacks must have the engine running.
__________________

__________________
JimF, CWO, US Army Ret, 100% DAV
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2008 Dodge Caliber Toad
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.