Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Moreau Send a message via Skype™ to Dr. Moreau
Chassis AC - Compressor Leak

We bought our 2007 Georgetown 350DS in March and have been very happy with the purchase. We've put about 4500 miles on it so far and are three months into a year-long trip with our two children.

With all of that being said, we have a very small problem. The problem has existed since we purchased it and only recently did I decide to diagnose it. At the local Ford Dealership in Salt Lake City during our oil change, we asked them to diagnose why the AC blew moderately cool air... sometimes warm. Their diagnosis, a lead on a non-serviceable seal on the AC Compressor. They're recommendation, replace the whole AC compressor at a cost near $1K. The part alone is apparently $500.

I am not really bothered not having AC, first off it's started to get cooler as the US settles into winter. Secondly, I drive in shorts and a t-shirt anyway so I stay cooler.

Is there any less expensive way to replace a AC compressor? I suspect I could it myself, but I am geek not a car guy.

Thoughts?

If it matters, we're on our way to Arizona along I-15. If there is a shop along the way, a recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dr. Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #2

It's strange that the seal cannot be replaced. If it were me, and didn't want to spend the money, I would remove it (can't use it anyway) and see about taking it apart. Put baggies over the lines and duck tape them. Not sure how the compressor is built, but usually you have to remove the clutch assembly and you will see the shaft and the seal around it. Usually, compressors can be taken apart to put new seals in them.

If you go the route of getting a new compressor and installing it yourself, it isn't really that hard. I would recommend swapping out the expansion valve and drier, but you don't necessarily have to. When you put everything together, get an air vacuum pump (harbor freight has one for less than 20 bucks if you have an air compressor, or if you want an electric one they are about 100 bucks) and evacuate all the air out of the lines. Then get your Freon with adapter and pump in the recommended amount, or keep filling it until the bubbles go out on the sight glass. Usually, the new compressor will have enough oil in it for the entire system. I'm not an expert, this is something I have not done in eons.

You could also run your generator and one of your AC units.

Cheers, AL
Old 10-10-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

My 2012 Georgetown compressor was replaced last week because of dry seals. It was still under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. I have a lot of miles on it... 23,000 miles
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #4

Evidently these compressors are not a "normal" Ford part.
Way too many F53 failures!

Ours leaked probably from day 1, replaced under warranty.

If you had a quote for $500.00 labor they must charge $250.00 an hour.

An independent big truck shop might do it for a lot less than Ford.

The compressor is on the bottom in the front in plane sight easy DIY and a REAL EASY 2 hour job for a pro.

You can buy a lot of R134a for 1K$'s

If you add freon be careful when you buy the hose, one manufacture uses a proprietary connection, from then on you have to but their freon.

This would be a good one to get you started. Should be less than $50.00

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Quest-R-134a-refrigerant-with-Sub-Zero-synthetic-A-C-booster-and-charging-hose/_/N-261q?itemIdentifier=532242&_requestid=553029

Then more freon is less than $15 a can, don't buy the leak finder or stop leak!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Quest-R-134a-refrigerant-with-Sub-Zero-synthetic-A-C-booster/_/N-261q?itemIdentifier=832120&_requestid=555071

good luck
ab&jb
Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #5

You can't just replace the compressor and then put new freon in. You have to vacuum pump the system first. (If the compressor blew up, you have to flush the system and replace the accumulator/drier and expansion valve/port as well.)

I'm not saying it's not an easy enough job. I have the equipment and have done it myself. But it's not as easy as some are suggesting.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #6

Prior to me getting my AC compressor and Ford not knowing it was under warranty Ford dealer quoted me parts and labor to replace compressor and recharge the system for $675.36
Find another dealer.

Here's one on EBay for $134 and free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FS10-A-C...fba72b&vxp=mtr
Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Moreau Send a message via Skype™ to Dr. Moreau
As I read through your responses I am struck by something abjb said... "You can buy a lot of R134a for 1K$'s"

This may be the best approach, buy a couple cans of Freon and refill the system every month or so. I am rather cheap and if indeed this is a common failure the last thing I want to do is replace the AC compressor again in a few months.

As for finding another Ford dealer, yeah... Larry H Miller Ford in Salt Lake hasn't been very customer focuses. Multiple calls not returned, not acknowledging my presence when I arrived (it's hard to miss a 350 DS show up outside your shop). I'll call around in Arizona where I'll be in a few weeks, but .. I may stick with the Freon idea.
Dr. Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Moreau View Post
As I read through your responses I am struck by something abjb said... "You can buy a lot of R134a for 1K$'s"

This may be the best approach, buy a couple cans of Freon and refill the system every month or so. I am rather cheap and if indeed this is a common failure the last thing I want to do is replace the AC compressor again in a few months.

As for finding another Ford dealer, yeah... Larry H Miller Ford in Salt Lake hasn't been very customer focuses. Multiple calls not returned, not acknowledging my presence when I arrived (it's hard to miss a 350 DS show up outside your shop). I'll call around in Arizona where I'll be in a few weeks, but .. I may stick with the Freon idea.
I had my AC replaced at Peoria Ford Arizona on Bell road and the 101. (Not owned by Larry Miller)
You can call my Service Provider David Turner to make a appointment. Tell him John with the 2012 Georgetown motorhome sent you to him. He will treat you will respect and get you a fair estimate. 623-792-2670
They had me in and out in one afternoon.

But I also would first try the Artic Freeze 22 oz bottle with the gauge at Walmart. It will tell you how much to add and it can be used until the can is out. At that time you buy another can and use the gauge and hose again. $34 -$39

P.S.
Like your Family BLOG on your travels.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #9

I also had the leaking compressor seal problem on my 2010 Georgetown. The service tech at the Ford dealer said it is a common problem they see on the F-53 chassis. I had mine fixed under warranty at Gator Ford in Tampa next to Lazy Days. They do a lot of Ford motorhome chassis service and are familiar with the vehicles. The compressor replacement and recharge took about 90 minutes.

I would suggest going to a Ford dealer where they frequently service motorhomes. An earlier Ford dealer was unsuccessful in diagnosing the problem.
Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #10

my first choice would be to try and get it fixed.
if u opt to charge the freon, charge vapor to the low side and shoot for a pressure between 30 and 35 lbs. (this will vary depending on the temperature inside the vehicle).
if u have the sight glass on the high side (discharge) of the compressor, looking for the bubbles to clear up is a good suggestion.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

Sorry about your troubles

From someone who does automotive ac work on a daily basis.
#1 if the seal is leaking a little now (add a can every week), within a few months (or days-you never know)it will be a can a day or worse. Fix the problem.
#2 if the seal is leaking than there is no need to flush the system, its a leak not a mechanical component failure that will send contaminants into the system.
#3 go with an OE compressor. Auto zone or oriellys reman. Compressors may sound great as they are cheaper, but we have had some that would not make it out of the shop doors without failing, and then your doing it again. And as much as most dealers charge for labor at $100+ an hour, I would only want to pay it once.

I hate to justify a cost cause I dont want to upset anybody, but brake down the cost.
$500 for ac compressor
$10-20 for orifice tube and oil
$30 at $12 a pound most have around 2-3 pounds for larger vehicles
$180- labor for evac and recharge. Book time for all smaller automotive systems is 1.8 hours
+2-4 hours @$100hr for compressor install its self- I dont know what book time would be on this. Of course the harder the access the more it will cost. I can see how $1,000 would be easy to hit.
- I did one on my little sisters sunfire and compessor, new line (about $45)(there was a rubbed area on the line) freon and oil, and I had about $450 in it and that was me getting employee- 10% over cost on parts & no labor.
Just a little perspective, not trying to ruffle any feathers

Edit-ps. I have never heard of any shop that will re-seal a compressor or any aftermarkets that do a real great job of it consistently.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #12

The $500 (even $400) for labor is still WAY OFF.

The compressor on the F53 couldn't be any easier to get to, you don't even have to open the hood.
Lay on creeper, roll under bumper...that's all, it's RIGHT there! Nothing to take off or move out of the way, just go to work on IT.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #13

OH NO! We are heading south from Vermont and finally hit warm enough weather here in North Georgia to turn the dash air on. It blew nothing but warm air! A year or so ago I felt like it was not working the way I thought it should and had a Ford truck service place take a look at it and they said that it just needed a little more Freon. It worked good for awhile but we have not needed it cause we have been parked for the last three months in Vermont while workamping at a state park. Guess I'll be taking it to the Ford place again. Guess I'll get an oil change while there. And I'll probably lean on them pretty hard to get me a new compressor while still under warranty. Wish me luck!
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #14

Dash A/C with 134 needs to be exercised fairly often or the seals will develop leaks. It is recommended that you run it for about a half hour a month to keep the seals from developing leaks, and to circulate the oil.

We live in the desert, and my sister forgets to turn the defroster on every stinking winter, since we have virtually no frost. Have to recharge her air every year. I have started making her pay for it, so maybe she'll remember now!
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:56 PM   #15

Mine too

My compressor failed on its maiden voyage. 2012 360DS. Gator Ford in Tampa replaced it under warranty. Been working fine since. One year left on warranty so who knows?
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #16

Some information on Georgetown/Ford AC systems. The correct pressure on the low side is 10 psi and high side 150 psi. The systems do not use an expansion valve and they flood the system. There are two types of Condensers used in fords. The Old fashion is made with fins as a radiator is. That system takes 2.75 pounds of freon to fully charge. The new on is a silver one without fins. That system full charge is 1.75 pounds.
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercept View Post
Some information on Georgetown/Ford AC systems. The correct pressure on the low side is 10 psi and high side 150 psi. The systems do not use an expansion valve and they flood the system. There are two types of Condensers used in fords. The Old fashion is made with fins as a radiator is. That system takes 2.75 pounds of freon to fully charge. The new on is a silver one without fins. That system full charge is 1.7nd5 pous.
Here is a picture of my 2012.
I guess it show fins. Haven't seen any without fins in a Georgetown.. Have you?
When Ford replaced my compressor they added 36 oz of R134a Freon at approx. 95 degrees ambient temp

Also it seem the AC compressor is the same part # since 2003

YCC-187 FORD F550 SUPER DUTY
6.8L A/C COMPRESSOR 6U9Z-19703-A
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome May31_2013 042.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	41402  
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
OH NO! We are heading south from Vermont and finally hit warm enough weather here in North Georgia to turn the dash air on. It blew nothing but warm air! A year or so ago I felt like it was not working the way I thought it should and had a Ford truck service place take a look at it and they said that it just needed a little more Freon. It worked good for awhile but we have not needed it cause we have been parked for the last three months in Vermont while workamping at a state park. Guess I'll be taking it to the Ford place again. Guess I'll get an oil change while there. And I'll probably lean on them pretty hard to get me a new compressor while still under warranty. Wish me luck!
Took the coach into the Ford dealer and they found that the "split compressor case" was cracked. They also stated that "this is frequent with the MotorCraft compressors". All was fixed under warranty but now I have little confidence that the new compressor will have any length of life.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #19

Mine is in the shop with AC Freon leaks too. Looks like Iggy's dealer split the 28 or 44 ounce ratings of the two condenser types in half at 36 ounces. The most critical method of charging is reading ~10 to 15 PSI on the low side with 80 F ambient air outside and the air on recirculate and 1500 rpm on the engine. The hotter ambient (95 F) air will raise the low side some but not a great amount. Don't make the mistake of using the expansion system auto air readings of 35 PSI+ for the low side. That will overcharge the system and raise the high side above the 150 range and possibly cause leaks.
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak