Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #1

Chassis battery

Quick question is the chassis battery getting recharged like the hose batteries or it actually need the engine to run to recharged. My radio keep shutting down and I think it is a battery problem I have been parked here in FL for a month and we listen to the radio everyday.
tilap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilap View Post
Quick question is the chassis battery getting recharged like the hose batteries or it actually need the engine to run to recharged. My radio keep shutting down and I think it is a battery problem I have been parked here in FL for a month and we listen to the radio everyday.

If your coach was built after 2005 (+ or -) a couple years, your rig should have a "BIRD" or two directional relay which switches the charging source to both battery (banks) after a time delay. Your radio and all chassis loads should be supplied by the converter and all batteries remain on trickle charge. In a Georgetown, it's normally under the steps. A box containing the relay, a PCB and some fuses all control charging functions.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #3

You can download a product sheet for the Intellitec brand BIRD from this forum's library. I forgot which section. It will give you a full description of its operation including the voltages at which it energizes and deenergizes the battery interconnecting relay.

Yours may be a different brand but the operation should be similar.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #4

Well i think my own question was answered this morning. When I tried to start the engine nothing happened so I had to used the boost Botton to start it. So conclusion my 2015 motorhome
Doesn't recharge the engine battery only the house batteries. The radio in the dashboard works with the engine battery not the house batteries. Maybe my motorhome is different but that is how it works I guess, since
After a
200 miles I don't have a problem with my radio shutting down anymore and my engine battery is back to full charge
Anymore.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #5

What is your motorhome make and model? Perhaps it should charge the chassis battery but something isn't working right.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:28 PM   #6

I have a FR Georgetown XL 377 2014
Old 12-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #7

We have a Sunseeker so I'll let the Georgetown guys speak up on this question. If you can find the battery control center and get the manufacturer and model off the BIRD, that would help in figuring it out.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #8

I looked for the bird and could not find it. I just assumed that the engine battery is not getting recharged as the house batteries are. Why would we need a boost Botton using the house batteries to start engine if it was being recharge. Maybe I am not analyzing this the proper way.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #9

You should have a "Radio" switch on the dash. If you use this, it will use the house batteries instead on the chassis batterie. I don't think that the chassis batterie will be charged with the gen set. You are to use the switch that you used to link to the house batteries.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilap View Post
I have a FR Georgetown XL 377 2014
I have a GT 378 XL and the chassis battery is charged from shore power. The conditions to charge chassis battery are:

battery disconnect not disconnected
shore power connected
converter operating
when coach battery is charged to approximately 13.2 volts the charging of the chassis battery will occur in parallel with the coach batteries.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #11

I use the radio switch every time
We listen to the dash radio. So I might be wired differently since
There is nothing else but the radio that would have draw power fm the engine battery to the point
To turn it dead. I am at lost
Old 12-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #12

Bubbles obviously I got a problem because I am on shore power my house batteries are getting
Charged but
Obviously my engine battery is not.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:20 PM   #13

I would pull the cover off the battery control center panel and check for any blown fuses. I'm not sure but I think one of them may control the relay for the tie in for charging. I may be wrong on this of course but won't hurt to check. The battery control center is under your steps if your entry is like mine.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #14

How does
It
Look like?
Old 12-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #15

It's a black box about 8"x6" with a decal on the cover that says BATTERY CONTROL CENTER. There are 4 screws holding the cover on. Pull the cover and you will see the row of fuses.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #16

I'll try that get back to u
Old 12-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #17

These may help in the future if they apply. These may also be in this forum library.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf batcont.pdf (1.34 MB, 77 views)
File Type: pdf batcont1.pdf (252.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #18

Well checked the fuses all good. I am at lost still doesn't understand the boost Botton to boost the engine batt if it getting recharged all the time.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #19

Well I think I know why now. While
Scratching my head I notice
My battery disconnect
Light being off. I never
Think
About checking in because we never use it but my dogs are known to have trip it once
In a while
When
Jumping on the
Seat. Well will se
If that was the problem tomorrow when I'll listen
To the
Radio. Thanks for
All the
Info you guys made
Me
Wiser
Old 12-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #20

Yes and I'm thinking the relay for the emergency start is the same one utilized for charging and that would say the relay is ok. Have you checked to see if the coach battery is being charged from the chassis battery? It is a 2 way street. Just one last thing, have you physically actuated the battery disconnect switch to not disconnected? The light in the switch will illuminate even if it has been actuated to off. Just a final thought.

Tags
battery