Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #1

Chassis warranty

We have a 2012 Georgetown built on a Ford 550 chassis with the V10 engine. Is this covered under the basic warranty issued by Ford?
tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I can't say for sure, but I would think Ford would have to warrant the chassis, and Forrest River the camper part.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #3

Your dealer should have gone over that with you?? Ford covers the chassis for 5 years or mileage, similar to a new car warranty, I can't remember the exact number, but you can probably find out on the Ford website. It's too bad Forest River did not cover everything else similar to a new car warranty.
georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Hob

Do you suppose Lippert makes the chassis for Ford too?
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #5

Thanks for all the replys. The dealer did leave out quite a bit of info on this sort of thing. I got a number for Ford RV assistance 800-444-3311. They were a very big help!
tjvpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
Do you suppose Lippert makes the chassis for Ford too?
No Lippert does not make the chassis for Ford. The Motorhome chassis is a stripped chassis from Ford manufactured for this purpose.
georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvpga View Post
We have a 2012 Georgetown built on a Ford 550 chassis with the V10 engine. Is this covered under the basic warranty issued by Ford?
the correct chassis designation is "f53" and it is covered by ford
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #8

Chassis warranty is 5y-60,000mi, also before you jump on a road service plan, ford gives you a free one for 3 yrs. Google ford chassis rv and you will find it. Most dealers either do not know this or fail to pass it on.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #9

Ford F53

I have attached a PDF for the 2011 F53 chassis, hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Class_A_brochure_2011_LoRes.pdf (1.34 MB, 94 views)
Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #10

While your chassis is warranted by Ford, not many Ford dealers will agree to service it because it is not a standard that their shop understands or can fit in the repair bays. Do call the 800 number referenced in your Ford manual and they will very quickly locate an agreeable dealer. Directions came within an hour for my last request. The dealer may be located several hours drive away, but the frustration of locating the dealer is managed a lot by Ford, motor Home help desk.

pops
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I had the misfortune of having a rear gear break on my Georgetown. I heard a noise and a then a whining sound at the transmission. Called Ford and they referred me to a local Ford dealership. I called them, told them what I was driving and the reply was "Sure, bring it in". Next day I show up and they have me pull it inside the building at the service writers area. Their first statement was "WOW! That's a big one". Once the Service Mgr. saw it he took me back in their shop. They can work on 32ft motorhomes but anything longer will stick out the back of the building. This makes it impossible to pick up any higher that the door opening.
I was referred to another facility close to where I work so I towed my car there and left the coach. They had it a few days and couldn't find anything wrong. I picked it up after work. I got 6 miles from their building when all hell broke loose. The coach started bucking, clunking and sounding like it was shearing off gears in the rear. Fortunately I was able to get off the road and still had my car behind me. I called the dealership and they had me call Ford to get it towed back to their facility. Imagine my surprise when I called them and found out my coach was still listed as Forest River being the owner. This was almost 3 years after we picked it up. The coach got towed back, Ford replaced the rear and it's been quieter than ever before and it only took 7 days to get back.
I'd recommend calling Ford and making sure the coach ownership has been changed to you so in case it becomes necessary the information is correct. I was told my dealer should have taken care of this but didn't.

Warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles on the chassis.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote