Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #1

Cheap Handling Fix

Well, I finally took the plunge and swapped out the front sway bar bolt holes and what a huge difference it made. I had procrastinated because I didn't know how difficult it would be, or if it would really make any difference.

Why did I wait this long?????

If you are on the fence whether or not to do this simple, and very effective fix, take the plunge and you will be amazed. I took my 2004, 375 XL on a rough back road, inner city streets, and I-5 freeway. WOW, what a dream to drive.

Wish I would have done it 4 years ago.

Ron
Rongrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #2

Congratulations. It just makes sense to do the easiest, cheapest fix before throwing money at it with aftermarket track bars and the like.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #3

I am doing this also....I initially put the stock brackets in the rearmost holes on the sway bar, and the clearance looked very tight to the springs. So I ordered the 11-14" adjustable hellwig brackets and will use those in conjunction with the stock sway bar.

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
Congratulations. It just makes sense to do the easiest, cheapest fix before throwing money at it with aftermarket track bars and the like.
I agree with you. I bought the rear Trak Bar before doing the CHF. I think I would have never gotten the Trak Bar if I would have done the CHF first.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by willingtonpaul View Post
i am doing this also....i initially put the stock brackets in the rearmost holes on the sway bar, and the clearance looked very tight to the springs. so i ordered the 11-14" adjustable hellwig brackets and will use those in conjunction with the stock sway bar.
What are you thinking of doing as far as the bushings go. You can't use the Hellwig metal bushings and bolts because they are too small. I ended up installing the stock metal bushings into the Hellwig's rubber bushings to make it work. The problem is that the original Ford bushings are Poly and the Hellwigs are not.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
What are you thinking of doing as far as the bushings go. You can't use the Hellwig metal bushings and bolts because they are too small. I ended up installing the stock metal bushings into the Hellwig's rubber bushings to make it work. The problem is that the original Ford bushings are Poly and the Hellwigs are not.

Had not gotten that far yet....hellwig brackets have not come yet...

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #7

I do not know how much the Hellwigs cost but it is very simple to just measure to get how much longer the stock ones need to be, have the stock ones cut, a piece of pipe added to give you stock height of the sway bar when installed in rear hole, weld it or have someone or shop weld them and presto you are on your way. I did my own and it took a whole 10 minutes to extend them and another 5 to install them back. Beware this is for those that hate to spend money. Thats me.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #8

I have decided to do the CHF, and thought that I saw in the past someone had posted the bolt/wrench size. I have a 2014 378TS, sorry but I could not find in my search.
texcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongrice View Post
Well, I finally took the plunge and swapped out the front sway bar bolt holes and what a huge difference it made. I had procrastinated because I didn't know how difficult it would be, or if it would really make any difference.

Why did I wait this long?????

If you are on the fence whether or not to do this simple, and very effective fix, take the plunge and you will be amazed. I took my 2004, 375 XL on a rough back road, inner city streets, and I-5 freeway. WOW, what a dream to drive.

Wish I would have done it 4 years ago.

Ron
Being relatively new to MH driving, I have to ask, what were the issues with handling that caused you to consider this mod?
Was this simply a matter of moving an end of the bar from one hole to another, or were parts / special tools needed? I'd like more details please.
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sullivan View Post
Being relatively new to MH driving, I have to ask, what were the issues with handling that caused you to consider this mod?
Was this simply a matter of moving an end of the bar from one hole to another, or were parts / special tools needed? I'd like more details please.
Here is a link to what the mod looks like.

index.html

2001 Georgetown 346S
CHF, Roadmaster Stabilizer
5 Star Tuner, Ultra RV Trac Bar
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #11

[QUOTE=alparmer;638129]What are you thinking of doing as far as the bushings go. You can't use the Hellwig metal bushings and bolts because they are too small. I ended up installing the stock metal bushings into the Hellwig's rubber bushings to make it work. The problem is that the original Ford bushings are Poly and the Hellwigs are not.[/QUOTE]

Older F53 Chassis did not have Poly bushings. I'm not sure what year Ford started with the poly bushings. The Hellwig links do have poly bushings.

Specs: Brand:Hellwig

Manufacturer's Part Number:7962

Part Type:Sway Bar End Links

Product Line:Hellwig Adjustable End Links

Summit Racing Part Number:HEL-7962

UPC:745662079628

Bushing Material:Polyurethane

Bushing Color:Black

End Link Bushings Included:Yes

Frame Bushings Included:Yes

Frame Bushings Greasable:No

Washers Included:Yes

Bolts Included:Yes

Quantity:Sold as a pair.

Notes:Adjustable from 11 in. to 14 in. eyelet to eyelet. Converts bayonet and stem-style end links to heavy-duty bushings.

2001 Georgetown 346S
Old 06-26-2014, 07:57 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Bob G;644122]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
What are you thinking of doing as far as the bushings go. You can't use the Hellwig metal bushings and bolts because they are too small. I ended up installing the stock metal bushings into the Hellwig's rubber bushings to make it work. The problem is that the original Ford bushings are Poly and the Hellwigs are not.[/QUOTE]

Older F53 Chassis did not have Poly bushings. I'm not sure what year Ford started with the poly bushings. The Hellwig links do have poly bushings.

Specs: Brand:Hellwig

Manufacturer's Part Number:7962

Part Type:Sway Bar End Links

Product Line:Hellwig Adjustable End Links

Summit Racing Part Number:HEL-7962

UPC:745662079628

Bushing Material:Polyurethane

Bushing Color:Black

End Link Bushings Included:Yes

Frame Bushings Included:Yes

Frame Bushings Greasable:No

Washers Included:Yes

Bolts Included:Yes

Quantity:Sold as a pair.

Notes:Adjustable from 11 in. to 14 in. eyelet to eyelet. Converts bayonet and stem-style end links to heavy-duty bushings.
Thanks for the specs. I wonder if the Hellwig bushings are softer since they are not designed for the F53 chassis.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #13

The Hellwig bushings are softer. The Ford bolt bushings slipped in the poly bushings to replace the Hellwig bolt bushings so you can use the Ford bolts. www.IRV2.com has alot of information about the CHF. look under the Ford Chassis section. If I had to do it again, I would just take the Ford sway bar links to a welder and have him lenghten them (which I did after installing the Hellwig links so I have them handy if needed)

2001 Georgetown 346S
Old 06-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sullivan View Post

Jim, I was tired of the excessive sway, and my MH driving like a ship on rolling waves going down the hwy. it is a very simple fix, and yes you just swap out the bolts from the end hole on the sway bar to the inner hole. I raised the front end with my jacks, then used a floor jack to help raise the sway bar. Very little effort.
Greased everything under the MH while I was under there.

Don't let any lack of mechanical experience hold you back, the most difficult thing for me was admitting Ford was using metric bolts. Hate those things.

Ron
Rongrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #15

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #16

Awhile back, someone posted the correct foot pounds to tighten the bolts for the CHF. Unfortunately, I can't find that post. Anyone know?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
jpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpow View Post
Awhile back, someone posted the correct foot pounds to tighten the bolts for the CHF. Unfortunately, I can't find that post. Anyone know?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...n-38947-2.html
post #13... "The Ford manual calls for 66 ft lbs of torque for all of the fasteners on the sway bar/link assemblies."
Old 07-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #18

Thank you!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #19

One other question-do I need to have the jacks down before attempting the CHF or not?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpow View Post
One other question-do I need to have the jacks down before attempting the CHF or not?

No jackS

All you need is a dry place to park.
Ratchet, 15mm and 18mm sockets and a small jack, the one in your car should work.
The jack is used to lift the sway bar AFTER you've done ONE side.

If you've ever used hand tools then on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being putting air in a tire) then this is a 2 . The back is a little more complicated, you have to rotate the bracket on each end of the sway bar, that make it a 2.5 on our 1 to 10 scale .