Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 05:48 PM   #21

Here's a google search for "Cheap Handling Fix"
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=c...p+handling+fix
12,8000,000 hits

One is for the IRV2 form, it's up to 3611 post as of today, thread started on 7-28-2010. This link is to the last page (258) with some good pictures.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...72335-258.html

This link is for a Georgetown sub forum search for "Cheap Handling Fix" we have 65 threads as of today.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...archid=5584587
Old 05-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #22

OK. Here's the other side of the story. I did the CHF on my 2015 GT 364. As soon as I did, I got a clunk from the suspension in turns. Took it to a big-rig alignment shop. He undid the CHF and said he has undone them on GTs quite a few times for the same reason. Turns out, the front anti-sway bar end was hitting the frame in turns. Instead, I went with the Roadmaster heavy duty front and rear anti-sway bars, a TruTrac rear track bar and a steering stabilizer. All this has given me modest improvement. I just purchased Sumos, but haven't had a chance to put them on. I hear good things about them and am really looking forward to the end of constant, small steering inputs. Also, I finally took the leap and bought the 5-Star Tune engine chip. I got a small but noticeable power increase, along with a definite improvement in shifting as it brings 4th gear back into play (5-speed was programmed by Ford to skip 4th gear during downshifts, which resulted in the screaming 5,000 rpm excursions.) Freeway entrance and small to medium hills are now quite and I lose a lot less speed.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #23

Cheap Handling Fix - Any Regrets?

I installed front Sumo springs this past weekend on my 2014 351. I noticed a big difference just stepping into the coach - almost no rocking with the jacks up. Took it for a short drive and even pulling out of the drive way it didn't lean as much turning out.
ttincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:00 PM   #24

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1464062409.941120.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	108802
Old 05-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #25
Steelhorzz

I added the Sumo Springs, (front and rear), and a steering stabilizer on my 2012 Georgetown 360, after my first trip!! NOT a CHF, but well worth it!!! MUCH better handling in windy weather, and cornering! Not sure why this isn't an option when you order it from the factory??!! I think I'll go back and try adjusting the swY bars. I'm getting my alignment next month before I head out. I'm at 22,000 miles now.
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:51 AM   #26

Thanks again for all of the great input regarding the CHF. I called Ford yesterday and they confirmed that the additional holes in the sway bars are there specifically for adjustment purposes.

I hope everyone has a great summer camping!

rkulbok
(Ron & Karin)
2015 Georgetown 328TS
Full time since October 2015
rkulbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #27

I did the fix and it improved handling but when rounding a curve on a mountain road I head a loud clunk from the rear of the coach. I found that a nut had completely stripped off the sway bar bracket bolt on one side and the bracket had bent so the sway bar was disconnected from the frame. I was able to straighten the bracket and replace the bolts with Ford bolts, but only a few months later the same thing happened when I hit a pothole except it stripped the bolts on both sides.
This time I replaced the bolts with tempered ones and returned the CHF bolts to the original position. I am not sure if moving the bolts had placed undue stress on the sway bar brackets, but I moved the bolts back as a precaution. I took the RV to a Ford truck shop to have it inspected. I was told that the tempered bolts I used were better than the standard Ford bolts and suggested that I leave it like it is. I have had no further problems in a year.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #28

Hi Steelhorzz,
What Sumo Springs did you use?
I have a 378XL 22,000 chassis.

Thanks

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:55 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercept View Post
Hi Steelhorzz,
What Sumo Springs did you use?
I have a 378XL 22,000 chassis.

Thanks
etrailer has a parts finder where you put in your year and model and they show you what's compatible:

https://www.etrailer.com/suspension-enhancement.htm
carmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G View Post
I did the fix and it improved handling but when rounding a curve on a mountain road I head a loud clunk from the rear of the coach. I found that a nut had completely stripped off the sway bar bracket bolt on one side and the bracket had bent so the sway bar was disconnected from the frame. I was able to straighten the bracket and replace the bolts with Ford bolts, but only a few months later the same thing happened when I hit a pothole except it stripped the bolts on both sides.
This time I replaced the bolts with tempered ones and returned the CHF bolts to the original position. I am not sure if moving the bolts had placed undue stress on the sway bar brackets, but I moved the bolts back as a precaution. I took the RV to a Ford truck shop to have it inspected. I was told that the tempered bolts I used were better than the standard Ford bolts and suggested that I leave it like it is. I have had no further problems in a year.
It's not the CHF causing the loose bolts, there's a TSB (tsb-12-6-1) for the rear sway bar bracket bolts coming loose.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tsb-28238.html
Old 05-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #31

Thanks for the info, my dealer did not know about it. I am glad it was not attributed to the CHF
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #32

Thanks for the heads up - i just checked mine and the left rear bracket is missing! I did hear an odd thunk last year when turning on a trip and that must have been when it happened. I did do the CHF on the rears a few months before this happened.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:48 AM   #33

Who in the Tulsa area can make some of these CHF's? Our new rig is from this area and our dealership thinks I'm
over reacting. So, finding an outside trustworthy source is critical.
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #34

Cheap HANDLING FIX

can anyone send a picture if this fix???? I have a 30DS

thank yOU!!!!
Larry Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Roth View Post
can anyone send a picture if this fix???? I have a 30DS

thank yOU!!!!
Just do a search for CHF and you'll find all the info.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 12:07 PM   #36

CHF - Yours will be very similar to this.

Cheap Handling Fix – and then some | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

I strongly recommend making your front links longer ( I say 12 inches) If you scroll down through the article, you'll see a lot of photos and drawings that describe the CHF.

ALSO - If you have a newer chassis, the bolts and mounts for the rear torsion bar on the axle will be different.

IMPORTANT - Newer chassis F53 are notorious for rear torsion bar brackets breaking and bolts falling out, regardless if you do the CHF or not.. Inspect these often as they loosen, fall out, or break the axle attachments.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
Who in the Tulsa area can make some of these CHF's? Our new rig is from this area and our dealership thinks I'm
over reacting. So, finding an outside trustworthy source is critical.

Tulsa auto Spring? 21st and Sheridan

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:26 AM   #38

CHF

I just discovered Tulsa auto Springs yesterday but I had no idea who they were and if they were someone reputable to work with. Thank you so very much for that endorsement
Old 07-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentdavido View Post
I just discovered Tulsa auto Springs yesterday but I had no idea who they were and if they were someone reputable to work with. Thank you so very much for that endorsement
They are very good at what they do, they are the only place I would let do my front end alignment in Tulsa! Ask for a guy name John, tell him what your trying to achieve, they are very reasonable on price as well.

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Dijoeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #40

Thank you and I spoke to John. I was going to have T and W do our alignment, is that not good? I'm printing off the Sumos springs information and meeting with him. Thanks for the confidence.