Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #21

cheap handling fix on my new Georgetown 30x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonz View Post
jim_bob. I would like to hear more about this. My steering wheel is off to the right about 11o clock. Very irritating. The guy that did my alignment couldn't straighten wheel.

A couple photos of the bolt locations would be very helpful. I have the same problem and this seems like an easy fix. Happy to play with the steering wheel, but not the steering box.
dhind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #22

I’ll take a picture tomorrow and also try to get a number for the guy that did it for me. My wheel was off about 20° Not exaggerating I think it was less than two minutes to straighten it up.
Jim_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #23

My guy pulled steering wheel but there is a master spline so no joy! I am hopeful about the new idea.

Toad 2015 Toyota Tacoma
Tbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_bob View Post
I’ll take a picture tomorrow and also try to get a number for the guy that did it for me. My wheel was off about 20° Not exaggerating I think it was less than two minutes to straighten it up.
Look foward to seeing this myself.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Also paying attention. The truck place that did my alignment said the only way to straighten the wheel was to re index the pitman arm which involved some grinding and would take about an hour.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #26
RJJ

Mine was straightened when I got my alignment done. I was raised with the MH on a lift, tech had me hold the wheel straight while he adjusted something underneath, felt like near passenger wheel. Sorry I don't know what he did, but it can be done.
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #27

2 months ago had an alignment at a FR dealership. Asked to straighten the steering wheel, was off center from previous alignment. Service manager said it can not be done, it’s not adjustable. Will have to take a look under steering wheel for the 2 bolts mentioned ——- Interesting, Thanks for sharing.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #28

If the F53 chassis is like mine there are no magic bolts on the steering wheel (column). The column has a key way and is a fixed steering wheel install. The top of the steering box interconnect is the only way that I have found. Waiting for photos also. Would be nice.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964chevelle View Post
Has anybody ever heard of the book titled unsafe at any speed. It was a book written about the chevy corvair .I think that they should put all of the ford F-53 motorhome in the samecategory as the corvair UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED. Any other opinions out there?

Oh, please. I’ve not done the CHF for various reasons and my coach handles fine. As for Corvairs...I grew up driving one and Nader is full of crap.
Scagsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:26 AM   #30

Amen brother.
ijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:23 PM   #31

On my 3rd F53. Have only added SafeT Plus and did chf. No handling problems. Just can back to Florida from New Orleans. Comfortable doing 70 and an occasional 75.
I’m with Scarsdale on Corvair. When I was 20 bought a new Corvair. Never any problem with it except for one funny (no irritating) issue. My main cooling fan pulley went and needed to be replaced. Bought a new pulley for $12. Only 1 bolt in center needs to come out and put new pulley in. PROBLEM - bolt was 2 1/2” long. Clearance from bolt to frame was 2”. Had to drop engine to remove a single bolt.
Was not happy that day, today I laugh. Anyway, me and my new wife had lots of good times with our Corvair.
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #32

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6699.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	157903
Old 12-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #33

There is a hole like this on the opposite side too. The mechanic at Josam in Orlando, took a small bolt out of each side, turned the wheel 10 or 15 deg. to make it straight.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_bob View Post
There is a hole like this on the opposite side too. The mechanic at Josam in Orlando, took a small bolt out of each side, turned the wheel 10 or 15 deg. to make it straight.
Glad that worked for you on your GT but on my 2012 GT378 there is a non movable master keyway (not splined) that will not allow repositioning of the steering wheel. Maybe the change affects 2014 GT's and later.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #35

".I grew up driving one and Nader is full of crap."

The first Corvairs handled like a VW of the time. Different than most cars , not worse.

The last Corvairs had better G loading than the Corvettes of the time.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #36

The easy way to adjust the steering wheel is to simply remove and reposition the wheel, if possible.
The PROPER way is by adjusting the tie rod. If you turn one end in and the other end out the exact same amount, say 1/2 or 1 full turn, you will move the steering wheel and not alter the toe in setting.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #37

The manual for the F53 states to pull the steering wheel and put it back on lined up. When I had the front end aligned at Rush Truck, the tech said that mine was so close that if he changed it, it would be off in the other direction. The techs who say it cannot be done or involves adjusting the steering linkage do not know what they are talking about.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
The manual for the F53 states to pull the steering wheel and put it back on lined up. When I had the front end aligned at Rush Truck, the tech said that mine was so close that if he changed it, it would be off in the other direction. The techs who say it cannot be done or involves adjusting the steering linkage do not know what they are talking about.

Frank
Frank sorry you feel that way.. I did alignments for 12 years and totally disagree.. Each vehicle is different and requires different techniques...
Old 12-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #39

The F53 shop manual is what I base my statement on, not my feelings. Check the book.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
The F53 shop manual is what I base my statement on, not my feelings. Check the book.

Frank
Your shop manual is not applicable to my 2012 (2011 F53 Motorhome chassis). The steering wheel cannot be centered via tie rod adjustments or steering wheel removing and repositioning. The steering wheel can only go on the shaft one way (fixed keyway and slot). It appears the only way to align my steering wheel is at the steering box on top at the steering wheel shaft interconnect. Evidently Ford has changed the steering wheel alignment procedure over the years with bulletins to the latest manual.

Tags
georgetown