Old 11-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACretired View Post
Here is the link to one of the threads i've been on:
Cheap Heat now available direct - Page 4 - iRV2 Forums
I have checked the web site, what I saw was a electric heat strip being put in a furnace. The problem I see that it would take a 10KW heat strip to put out 34,000 BTU's same as my propane heater puts out. At 110V you would need a circuit of 42 amps just to make it work. My trailer is wired for 30 amps. My TT would not be able to run this option.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #22

Another issue is that the circulation fan motor also drives the combustion vent motor, this would cause a portion on the heat from the return air to be transferred through the heat exchanger to the outside.

2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
Another issue is that the circulation fan motor also drives the combustion vent motor, this would cause a portion on the heat from the return air to be transferred through the heat exchanger to the outside.
The heat loss is extremely small when compared to the loss when the furnace is actually being used with the gas. It would no different than the loss using Cheap Heat.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #24

When heating with gas, the combustion chamber is heated transferring the heat to the inside so I am not sure of the point trying to be made. Of course, if at a site with electric that you are not being metered on it will be cheaper to run.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

Old 11-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
... this would cause a portion on the heat from the return air to be transferred through the heat exchanger to the outside.
Didn't understand the point of this and was just replying to it.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
When heating with gas, the combustion chamber is heated transferring the heat to the inside so I am not sure of the point trying to be made. Of course, if at a site with electric that you are not being metered on it will be cheaper to run.
Even on an electric metered site, it is cheaper to use the electric than propane from our experience.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #27

I found that it would cost me $120 per month to heat with propane and it cost $65 per month to heat with 2 electric heaters. It is less expensive to heat with electric heaters. If I had a Costco that sold propane it would have been cheaper to run the TT on propane but when you are paying $1/lb for propane electric is much cheaper.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I found that it would cost me $120 per month to heat with propane and it cost $65 per month to heat with 2 electric heaters. It is less expensive to heat with electric heaters. If I had a Costco that sold propane it would have been cheaper to run the TT on propane but when you are paying $1/lb for propane electric is much cheaper.
I guess I am lucky because where I buy propane it is a little over 50 cents a pound. I would imagine that if you are on an extended trip you would pay the regional price. When we were in Nebraska it cost around 75 cents a pound.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Didn't understand the point of this and was just replying to it.
I guess my point is that if paying for electric, you would probably be better off using electric space heaters because you keep all the heat inside as opposed to using a unit attached to the furnace that is transferring some of the heat outside in the same way as it transfers heat from the combustion to the inside.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have checked the web site, what I saw was a electric heat strip being put in a furnace. The problem I see that it would take a 10KW heat strip to put out 34,000 BTU's same as my propane heater puts out. At 110V you would need a circuit of 42 amps just to make it work. My trailer is wired for 30 amps. My TT would not be able to run this option.
Your missing the fact that a gas furnace is only 60% eff (that a documented fact) plus the electric heater has no pre purge or post purge. So.......... when you measure the true sensible heat out of the register over a one hour period (BTU's an Hour) you get about 18,000 out of 40,000 gas.
That being said (17,500 Btu's) 5000 watts = 21.7 amps per leg on a 50 amp service (which is actually a 230 VAC service). This is not much more than my two roof top AC's use during the summer.
Readers Digest version I have it installed in my 5th Wheel, Its cheaper to operate than gas and keeps the RV much more comfortable. Lastly I spent some time in Maryland where it was as low as one degree outside and the cheap heat system did a wonderful job, nice and toasty 72 inside WITH OUT ANY GAS.
Oh ya and there is no cold air coming out of the registers because there is no pre purge or post purge, Fan on Heat on-- Fan off Heat off.
But as you said if you only have a 30 amp service it won't work for you unless you upgrade to a 50 amp service (rvcomfortsystems.com have upgrade documents).
For those of you donít have one and that think its BS donít buy one, but please donít talk smack to the people that have it and like it.