Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #1

Cheapheat

Has anyone seen this /used this/have this system. Was looking around the net for supplement heat to add onto propane heat came across this:
CheapHeat . We own a HVAC/ELECTRIC co. and this interest me. What you think ?the people here that been rving seem to be good at it, as we are new to it and eager to learn.
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by trell View Post
Has anyone seen this /used this/have this system. Was looking around the net for supplement heat to add onto propane heat came across this:
CheapHeat . We own a HVAC/ELECTRIC co. and this interest me. What you think ?the people here that been rving seem to be good at it, as we are new to it and eager to learn.
Think you will find for the price of the Cheap Heat, you can buy a lot of propane. It is pricey.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #3

I like it!!

It saves on trips to the propane station especially during the winter when the unit sits but gets used for guests!!

Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
I like it!!

It saves on trips to the propane station especially during the winter when the unit sits but gets used for guests!!

An infrared heater and an auxiliary on/off switch on the furnace blower is a more economical solution and accomplishes the task.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

I love my electric fire place heater. Have used it about 10 times and does the job. See below TV set.
If you have a space like mine maybe you can install a basic model.
LINK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	db4474905b_640.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	21517  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
An infrared heater and an auxiliary on/off switch on the furnace blower is a more economical solution and accomplishes the task.

Please elaborate about the system you propose.

My thermostat goes down to 45 deg and that is awesome if I want to have water in the unit so people can use the facilities without having to go inside the house when the trailer is in use.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Please elaborate about the system you propose.

My thermostat goes down to 45 deg and that is awesome if I want to have water in the unit so people can use the facilities without having to go inside the house when the trailer is in use.
We have an Eden PURE infrared heater and I went into the furnace and ran wires from the blower to a switch mounted to the cabinet to run the blower independent of the furnace. It circulates the heat from the infrared heater thru the floor ducts via the furnace blower. The thermostat is turned off completely.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #8

Thanks Dunnnc!

That is a viable option as well. I would then need to find a place to store the heater as most of the nook and crannies are taken by toys, movies or the wifes necessities.

I would be affraid that the DW would put the nix on something in the middle of the floor though.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
We have an Eden PURE infrared heater and I went into the furnace and ran wires from the blower to a switch mounted to the cabinet to run the blower independent of the furnace. It circulates the heat from the infrared heater thru the floor ducts via the furnace blower. The thermostat is turned off completely.
Dunnnc, Can you tell me how you bypassed the stat and how you have hooked up the blower to run on it's own. I know they sell a board that will replace the one installed at the FAU that will run the fan only, but it's not cheap........
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #10

Fireplace

Iggy, I agree 100% about the electric fireplace. Not only does it provide warmth, it works on the electric provided by (of course I paid for it) the RV Park. We turn it off when we go to bed and set the furnace to come on about 68 degrees.

Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thanks Dunnnc!

That is a viable option as well. I would then need to find a place to store the heater as most of the nook and crannies are taken by toys, movies or the wifes necessities.

I would be affraid that the DW would put the nix on something in the middle of the floor though.
We use it as an 'end table' and have a lamp on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00179.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	21520  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Dunnnc, Can you tell me how you bypassed the stat and how you have hooked up the blower to run on it's own. I know they sell a board that will replace the one installed at the FAU that will run the fan only, but it's not cheap........
It has nothing to do with the thermostat. Just added a 12v wire & switch to the furnace blower. Only cost was for wire, switch, electrical box and cover plate.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #13

Seems it might be better (safer) to use the electric furnace rather than the propane but I may be missing something.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Seems it might be better (safer) to use the electric furnace rather than the propane but I may be missing something.
We haven't used the propane furnace but once or twice in the last 5 yrs and that was before we got the Eden PURE.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #15

We have two Eden pures for the house we love them!
Grey9712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #16

We have a electric heater like the Eden pure in our Georgetown 350. It is behind the passenger seat. We don't use a fan and it does a great job heating the MH in Texas in the winter. The best part it is whisper quite.
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #17

I installed one of the cheap heat systems and it works great. I been in areas were it a got down to 2 degrees out side and the system kept us warm and toasty with no other heaters. On of the best parts is it attached to our gas furnace so its tied into the main duct work and it heats the plumbing and storage tanks at the same time.
Lastly it is a much or even heat and stops the over shoot and under shoot the gas furnace suffers from.
Check out IRV2 there are a couple of other people that have installed one as well. I WILL NOT HAVE A NOTHER RV WITH OUT ONE.
By the way its UL certified and RVIA certified unlike adding a bunch of plug-in heaters in front of your return air vent.
HVACretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACretired View Post
I installed one of the cheap heat systems and it works great. I been in areas were it a got down to 2 degrees out side and the system kept us warm and toasty with no other heaters. On of the best parts is it attached to our gas furnace so its tied into the main duct work and it heats the plumbing and storage tanks at the same time.
Lastly it is a much or even heat and stops the over shoot and under shoot the gas furnace suffers from.
Check out IRV2 there are a couple of other people that have installed one as well. I WILL NOT HAVE A NOTHER RV WITH OUT ONE.
By the way its UL certified and RVIA certified unlike adding a bunch of plug-in heaters in front of your return air vent.
I could not find what you where talking about at IRV2, do you have web address? I would like to read some information on this HVACretired if you can post it please....
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACretired View Post
...By the way its UL certified and RVIA certified unlike adding a bunch of plug-in heaters in front of your return air vent.
I think you will find the EdenPURE is UL approved.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #20

IRV2 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I could not find what you where talking about at IRV2, do you have web address? I would like to read some information on this HVACretired if you can post it please....

Here is the link to one of the threads i've been on:
Cheap Heat now available direct - Page 4 - iRV2 Forums
HVACretired is offline   Reply With Quote