Old 04-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #1

check engine light

I have a 2014 351 and the check engine light recently came on. I noticed today that there is a small leak at one of the welds on the exhaust pipe between the catalytic converter and the muffler - could this be the cause? I read this light comes on when there is an issue with the emissions system.

I will take it in the the Ford dealer since I am under warranty but wanted to know before taking it out again. If this is the issue it doesn't look to be urgent.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #2

I doubt your exhaust leak caused the engine light. The engine light is tied to numerous components from engine, drivetrain, emissions, etc. I have a hand held scanner that has come in handy many times, but I recommend getting a ScanGauge. It gives you a lot of information...too much actually. I just use it to see how I'm doing on MPGs, but if I ever get an engine light while on the road I can tell the severity of the problem.

Please post what you find. It will be interesting to know what code it gives you...or what the dealer says.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #3

Amazon.com: ScanGauge II Ultra Compact 3-in-1 Automotive Computer with Customizable Real-Time Fuel Economy Digital Gauges: Automotive
Old 04-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

The check engine light isnít something to ignore, it could mean almost nothing OR something VERY bad is happening to your motor.

I did a quick look at Autozone and found an OBD code reader for $30.
Actron/OBD I code scanner (CP9015) | Code Reader | AutoZone.com

The OBDII port is on the dash by your right knee.
Codes are easy to read and the reader will come with an explanation for the more common codes, hereís a more complete list.
Most Complete List For Ford Check Engine Light Codes

Edit: we have a ScanGuageII use it on all our Vehicles.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #5
phat phrog stunt crew

Could be something as simple as needing gas cap tightened or replaced. My daughters 2000 chrysler cirrus had the cel on and was traced to a bad cap. 5 bucks later, all was good.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

Yes, an exhaust leak can throw a CEL code. If the code is from your O2 sensors, most of the time it is because of readings outside the design sensor perameters of the upstream (before catalytic) and downstream sensors. Or, failure on an O2 sensor itself. The good thing is your under emissions warranty for 5yrs or 50K.

If you know the code, just research it on the net in a Ford owners blog. At least that way you will be up to speed when the dealer does the fix.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #7

Like dwaynerz says in post #5

Or something important (this summer ) like a.
P1530 Open or Short to A/C Compressor Clutch Circuit

Or something that needs immediate attention like this.
P1702 Transmission system problems
Old 04-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #8

Thanks - I think the scanner might be a wise investment. I just can't believe I am having issues already with only 2k miles!

I planned on taking it in to my local Ford dealer within the next 2 weeks to have the alignment checked & this code scanned but have a quick trip planned before then and was hoping this was something minor. The gas cap was the first thing i checked.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttincali View Post
Thanks - I think the scanner might be a wise investment. I just can't believe I am having issues already with only 2k miles!

I planned on taking it in to my local Ford dealer within the next 2 weeks to have the alignment checked & this code scanned but have a quick trip planned before then and was hoping this was something minor. The gas cap was the first thing i checked.
Don't worry about it. You can buy a half a million dollar class A and still have issues. You will encounter all sorts of issues within the first year. I was the same way, but now realize that's how it is. I'm lucky to be able to take care of things myself, for the most part. I know it's a PITA to have to take it back, drop it off, wait, wait, and wait. The GTs are really nice coaches for the money. Enjoy it.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:01 AM   #10

It is a pretty awesome coach - luckily my Ford dealer that services RV's is only a few miles away!

Tags
light