Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

Unhappy Check Engine Light Keeps Turning On

Hello All,

We bought our 2016 Georgetown 364TS just ove a month ago. On our way back home from picking it up we stopped for fuel and after about a mile back on the road the check engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer and they said I had to take it to a Ford Truck service dealer for check up. A friend of mine use an OBD scanner and the code said it was the gas cap. I re-tighten the cap but the light did not turn off. My friend cleared the code and the light turned off. This past week I went on a trip and I stopped for fuel and after about a mile the light came on again. Has any one had this type of issue?
Boricua_RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

By any chance did you fill the gas tank with it running. Ford will tell you to make sure that you shut the engine off when filling. Also make sure you tighten the gas cap at least 4 clicks when installing it.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Site Team

Been there, done that... A bad, or loose, gas cap will cause a "Check Engine Light" (CEL). If you do not have a ODBII scanner to clear the code it will go away after a few engine restarts. Check your chassis Owners Manual for more info on how many restarts it takes. I think it is around 5-8 restarts to clear the code. If you have been tightening the gas cap and it is still causing a CEL I would replace the gas cap to avoid the aggravation....
Old 03-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #4

Haven't had the gas cap problem on the mh but have had it a couple of times on our toad. Clears after working (has to be tight) the cap and a COUPLE of start/stop motor cycles.

There are other problems that can cause this trouble code, purge valve, leaking vacuum line etc. Not going to hurt your motor it's an EPA thing.

It'll be covered by your Ford emissions warranty, you may have to take it to a Ford dealer that works on large Fords. Your dealer will know which one to take it to.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

The first time I had the generator running, but not the second time. That is why I am concerned.
Boricua_RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
I Break Everything

Isn't it funny how the dealer has ALL the answers until you drive it off the lot. We had trouble with a front end alignment, which a lot do. When you call the dealer looking for that warm fuzzy feeling they were making you feel while looking/purchasing and you realize they really know nothing.

2015 Georgetown Forest River 351DS Class A
2008 Keystone Cougar 293SAB 5th Wheel
2007 Jay Flight 30.5RLS 5th Wheel
2006 Jay Flight 29BHS TT
mikel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #7
Retired Retail/Importer

Check :Light On

I just sold my old RV and am about to buy a Forest River 360PDEK...It happened to me..I removed the positive lead to the engine battery and the light went off...it resets it...
pledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

I had the same problem with my new Sunseeker 3010DS with only about 1,000 miles on it. I thought it was the gas cap too but the light kept coming back on after I reset the code. I brought it to a Ford dealer and they found the evaporator for the emissions system was not working, after fixing the evaporator, the light has stayed off,
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #9

Invest in an OBE reader. Some codes which are called drivability codes (like gas cap) will reset by them selves after the problem is corrected and a certain number of engine starts 25-50. Using the reader you can clear the codes after correcting the problem.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #10

You really do not need a seperate reader. If you have a smartmphone, get the app Torque, buy an inexpensive ODBII dongle. You get not only a reader, but a great system monitor.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #11

donniedu, I will have to check that out, smart phone app and dongle. One less "device" to keep track of!
Drew Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #12

donniedu, Thanks for the post. Smart phone app and dongle! One less device to track...
Drew Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #13

I think that taking the new RV to the dealer would covered by warranty and FORD may know of a way to solve this problem for you.
Rockwood 2503s
debandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #14
Happily Retired Member

The check gas cap comes on if a vapor leak is detected after a leak test is performed. The test is performed during a certain drive cycle. If a small leak is detected the check engine light will come on. So if after 3 tests no leak is detected the light will go off. The test itself looks at fuel tank pressure over the certain drive cycle. If a large leak is detected the code will be some vapor leak code. Some previous units had a separate check gas cap light and a check engine light because the vapor leack test was very sensitive. Now this set up may be slightly off from today because what I am describing Was from around 15 years ago when I was at Ford power train development, but it will be similar.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #15

Make sure the key is out of the ignition when the gas cap is off. Many modern vehicles will still energize the computers with key off but still in the ignition.
Ditto on Torque app and dongle. Make sure dongle is compatible with Ford. Most are but not all.
brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pledbetter View Post
I just sold my old RV and am about to buy a Forest River 360PDEK...It happened to me..I removed the positive lead to the engine battery and the light went off...it resets it...
FYI I would not remove the positive until the negative is removed first, safety first, among other things.
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light