Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #1

Class A vs. Class C

Hello Gang,

My wife and I are considering upgrading to a Class A. We currently have a Sunseeker 3050S. We have a few questions before we pull the trigger. We love our Sunseeker however looking forward (retirement - 10 years) we're thinking the "A" is better the whole way around.

*What's the ride like (i.e. handling, comfort, maneuverability, etc...)..
*Flat tow handling (we flat tow our Jeep Wrangler behind our Class C) - the Class C" is rated at 7500# and I believe the "A" is rated at 5000#. Our Jeep is weighs in at 4400#.
*Living out of it for 5 to 6 months (snow birds).

Anything else that you can share would greatly be appreciated. We're looking at a 328 which fits our budget based on the deal the dealer offered.

Thanks everyone....
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #2

*What's the ride like (i.e. handling, comfort, maneuverability, etc...)..

Our first RV is our MH. Have had no problems I have been able to get in and out of all situations without a problem. Comfort in the seat is a real bonus.

*Flat tow handling (we flat tow our Jeep Wrangler behind our Class C) - the Class C" is rated at 7500# and I believe the "A" is rated at 5000#. Our Jeep is weighs in at 4400#.

We started with a tow dolly and now tow 4 down, I think your numbers are generally correct for the F53 gas A.

*Living out of it for 5 to 6 months (snow birds).

We looked at C's before we bought our A, I didn't think the price differential was that much but the room and storage difference was huge. So I went with the A.

Anything else that you can share would greatly be appreciated. We're looking at a 328 which fits our budget based on the deal the dealer offered.

The size is overwhelming at first when you look at the A but after you drive it is great!

Good Luck!!

Thanks everyone....[/QUOTE]

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
ME

We were in the same boat several years ago and we're consistently towing a trailer at the time (25 ft). The class C with water, gas, all our stuff inside was much closer to max combined load rating. The class A appeared similar on paper but our RV dealer let me hook it up and pull them and Class A won hands down.

Another selling point was GAS powered so I could do the maintenance if needed because we put very few miles on our coach each year. PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND

If you are going to full-time a diesel has a more power stronger chassis easier people access (lower entry point) and unfortunately a higher price tag.

Thinking about it all over again a Super C might be perfect for us but might not be what you need.

Also ride quality in comparison from a gas to diesel is Jeep Wrangler to Cadillac diesel wins this category hands down but again getting into the market with diesel is higher.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #4

We have a 328TS and really like it. We flat tow a Chevy Sonic which is only 2700 pounds and I can't tell the difference driving when towing vs. not towing. I would think it would have plenty of power to pull your jeep. It has a stiff ride as I would expect for a truck chassis but I think it handles well. This is our first motorhome so I can't comment on differences from a Class C.
WayneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Just Dreamin

If your seriously considering a Class A, depending on what amenities you must have and what would be nice to have, consider looking at a used diesel pusher. There are a lot of really good used units out there. Check online at various dealers and you may find exactly what you want at a comparable price to a new class A gas unit. That's what my wife and I did a couple of years ago, we purchased a 6 year old diesel (2008) 38 feet with 42,000 miles, 4 slides for $80,000. Down the road, 4-5 years, we are going to replace the flooring and some of the furniture to make it better for us. Good luck on your decision.
dreamin533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #6

When we retired, we tried a used Class A which was a 30' with no slides. We soon upgraded to a brand new 38' with 3 slides. It had a Workhorse chassis with an 8.1 Vortec and Allison tranny. Best combination. Rode like a car, was great. Flat towed a Saturn Vue with no problems. C's are great for families but for retirement, go with the A. We have since sold our A (BH nervous in big rig) and went with a 32' 5th wheel. Actually bigger entertainment area and cabinet/cupboard/counter space than our previous A. Love both but would not go back to an A because the engine and chassis nowadays are all Ford and not as smooth riding or as powerful as Workhorse etc. My 2 cents worth.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:53 PM   #7

Full timers and towing flat... class A DIESEL with SLIDES ...no question...of course we're retired travel a lot but not full timers ... We enjoy our solera turbo diesel pulling nothing and 15 mpg!! Can park anywhere even Dairy Queen ! Lol
conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #8

We bought a 328TS. Quote from the DW "we should have done this years ago". We moved from a TT. I do miss the truck, sometimes.

Ride is okay, unless you hit a bad bump, then you can feel it.
We tow a versa on a dolly, with the weight of the unit, I can not tell if it is there or not. If you tow, get a brake setup for the toad.

you will love the space and view from upfront. Since you have C, your setup/down time will not change much. It is a big difference going from a TT, minutes vs over an hour....

If you take the plunge, get the res fridge and washer dryer. Get the upgraded AC if possible. Double pane windows also. We did not get these.
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin533 View Post
If your seriously considering a Class A, depending on what amenities you must have and what would be nice to have, consider looking at a used diesel pusher. There are a lot of really good used units out there. Check online at various dealers and you may find exactly what you want at a comparable price to a new class A gas unit. That's what my wife and I did a couple of years ago, we purchased a 6 year old diesel (2008) 38 feet with 42,000 miles, 4 slides for $80,000. Down the road, 4-5 years, we are going to replace the flooring and some of the furniture to make it better for us. Good luck on your decision.
A diesel pusher would be ideal, just don't think it will fit our budget. Our Sunseeker is a 2015 which we took delivery of last March so go to many years backwards is doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.. Plus, I enjoy doing a lot of my own maintenance and a gas Coach fits that..
Old 07-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for all of the great points.. We love our Class C but in hindsight we should of went with an "A". Live and learn. Reality is we'll end up with an "A" sometime in the near future.. Makes more sense for when we retire....
Old 08-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #11

Well Gang.. We pulled the trigger and bought a "NEW" Leftover 2014 Georgetown 328 TSF. What a difference from our Class C... The dealer did a great job in putting the deal together with our trade and made sure the few concerns we had were taken care of..

Brought her home yesterday and spent the weekend packing for our maiden voyage next weekend. We think this will suit us just fine. Retirement is still a little ways off, but the plan is to head south (Myrtle Beach area) in the winter months..
Old 08-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #12

Congratulations on the new Class A. I hope you like yours as much as we like ours. My wife just retired this year and we have our first month long trip planned for the Florida Keys this Fall.

Having never owned a Class C, I am curious how you think the ride/handling of your new Class A compares to your C.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
Congratulations on the new Class A. I hope you like yours as much as we like ours. My wife just retired this year and we have our first month long trip planned for the Florida Keys this Fall.

Having never owned a Class C, I am curious how you think the ride/handling of your new Class A compares to your C.
The ride is night and day difference. The Class C road well and easy to drive but was a rougher ride. The Class A is much smoother more power and easier to steer. Just be careful of the overhang in the rear.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #14

You are right about the overhang and scraping the back exiting some steep driveways. One thing you might want to check is whether your plug for your dinghy lights beneath the hitch is bent from bottoming out. Ours was and they relocated it to the top of the hitch under warranty.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:26 AM   #15
New:

Congrats on the 328ts
I have one and love it. You will learn little tricks as you go. Enjoy your trip and maybe see you down in Fl soon!
Cheers and Happy camping!
New: 2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2016 Equinox Tow Vehicle
old: 2013 FR Rockwood 2318G w/ 2001 Ford F250 4X4 Diesel
compman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c