Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
Happy Member

Red face Cloth Diapers + RV, anyone travel and use cloth?

Hello all!
This is a question for the moms out there. Anyone with a baby in diapers take any trips while using cloth diapers? I'm ok with using some disposable but for longer trips I would prefer to stick with my cloth diapers. Just thinking of the washing dilemma. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

You are a brave momma!! I am traveling with an18 mos. old and I can't imagine using cloth but impressed by those who do!! The camp grounds that I have been to have all had a wash facility, some nicer than others but always available!
Old 05-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #3

Yes mam! I sure do! I use all-in-ones! I bought one of those 5 gallon orange Home Depot buckets with the kid that screws on. I haven't had a problem with smell. We haven't been gone more than 6 nights at this point though. I seperate out the pees only and wash those sometimes in the laundromats in campgrounds. I don't feel ok washing spoiled ones there. Otherwise I would run out of diapers.
Campingmomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingmomx4 View Post
Yes mam! I sure do! I use all-in-ones! I bought one of those 5 gallon orange Home Depot buckets with the kid that screws on. I haven't had a problem with smell. We haven't been gone more than 6 nights at this point though. I seperate out the pees only and wash those sometimes in the laundromats in campgrounds. I don't feel ok washing spoiled ones there. Otherwise I would run out of diapers.
Pardon me??????
Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 PM   #5

Autocorrect-----the lid that screws on. So sorry.
Campingmomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yea, the kid screws on for potty training, you never heard of that trick? Lol.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
Yea, the kid screws on for potty training, you never heard of that trick? Lol.
Back in the day I used duct tape.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #8
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingmomx4 View Post
Thanks for the great tip. Like the idea of the bucket keeping the smell away. Not sure I would feel comfortable washing the soiled ones at the laundromat either. Need to figure out a solution for that one.

Thanks again,
Mrs. B
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 05-26-2014, 12:13 AM   #9
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Back in the day I used duct tape.

Wow, you're a brave one...I guess that means you've had a Brazilian wax, but with tape, lmao
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 05-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4six View Post
Wow, you're a brave one...I guess that means you've had a Brazilian wax, but with tape, lmao
Are you kidding?

Never even had my knuckles waxed....the gravel keeps the hair scraped off.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #11

Here is a youtube video for making a washing machine out of a 5-gallon bucket. I am sure that is what she is referring to above. It is kinda easy, but I am not sure you would find a place to dump the dirty water in a populated campground. This would, in fact, be black water (sewage) and should not just be dumped on the ground, even in a back-woods setting.

I guess you would have to think about that.

merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykalia View Post
Here is a youtube video for making a washing machine out of a 5-gallon bucket. I am sure that is what she is referring to above. It is kinda easy, but I am not sure you would find a place to dump the dirty water in a populated campground. This would, in fact, be black water (sewage) and should not just be dumped on the ground, even in a back-woods setting.

I guess you would have to think about that.
Dump it in the outhouse. Admire anyone using cloth diapers that is not too lazy to do the laundry as opposed to those using disposable ones filling up the landfills while professing to be "Green".
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Dump it in the outhouse.
Or even down the RV toilet.

A manual washing machine was my thought, as well - didn't even dawn on me that you could make one from a 5 gallon bucket.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Dump it in the outhouse. Admire anyone using cloth diapers that is not too lazy to do the laundry as opposed to those using disposable ones filling up the landfills while professing to be "Green".
I'm no landfill aficionado, but I'm willing to bet that the percentage of things other than diapers in a landfill is so much greater that it's not worth comparing. I know, I know, every bit helps. For us, the fight isn't with disposable diapers. I wonder how many chemicals are going down the drain to make cloth diapers nice and shiny again.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmer View Post
I'm no landfill aficionado, but I'm willing to bet that the percentage of things other than diapers in a landfill is so much greater that it's not worth comparing...
From: Analyzing Environmental Life-Cycle Costs of Diapers | The Green Mama

"DISPOSABLES: The 18 to 23 million disposable diapers sold in the U.S. all end up in the landfill once soiled. That’s 3.5 million tons of poop and plastic going into the ground each year. They are the third largest users of landfill space in the U.S. And the diapers, because of the plastic content, take approximately 500 years to breakdown. It is illegal in most states to dump human waste in landfills but that law is unenforced when it comes to diapers—though the packages of many disposable diapers say to scrape the poop into the toilet before disposing of it, almost no one does—and that human feces can leach and cause contamination or spread communicable diseases when disposed of in the landfill."
Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #16

I saw a posting a few days back on a portable washing machine - a panda. Had never heard of them before, but here's a link to them on amazon - they get good reviews! But not cheap, unfortunately.

Amazon.com: Panda Small Compact Portable Washing Machine(6-7lbs Capacity) with Spin Dryer: Appliances
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:13 AM   #17

Quote:
From: Analyzing Environmental Life-Cycle Costs of Diapers | The Green Mama

"DISPOSABLES: The 18 to 23 million disposable diapers sold in the U.S. all end up in the landfill once soiled. That’s 3.5 million tons of poop and plastic going into the ground each year. They are the third largest users of landfill space in the U.S. And the diapers, because of the plastic content, take approximately 500 years to breakdown. It is illegal in most states to dump human waste in landfills but that law is unenforced when it comes to diapers—though the packages of many disposable diapers say to scrape the poop into the toilet before disposing of it, almost no one does—and that human feces can leach and cause contamination or spread communicable diseases when disposed of in the landfill."
Research "Landfill Statistics", and not something biased by "The Green Mama".

Apologies to the OP if getting off topic, but had to answer.

We can go back and forth if you hand pick different answers.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 AM   #18

This could be useful. I would imagine that you would want to run the diapers a few times to be sure they a clean and rinsed well.

Wonder Washer - 588762, Camping Accessories at Sportsman's Guide

Tags
travel