Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #1

Clunking noise

Good morning, I recently picked my coach up from from the dealer for some scheduled maintenance. Went on first trip last week, everything went great except on the way back I noticed when I would accelerate from a dead stop I would hear I what sounds like "clunk" coming from underneath the coach. When I got home I looked under my rig
and everything looked fine. I assume it is due to very little lubrication and maybe metal on metal rubbing together. Has any body experienced this before? If so, what type of Lube did you use? Or maybe it's something else. Pls advise.
Thank You
fidaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

what is the year, model, motorhome, tongue trailer, 5th wheel, pop up. Need a little more information to even start to guess.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #3

He said "coach", so it would be pretty safe to assume it is a motorhome.
It sounds like something in the driveline, probably a universal joint in the driveshaft. Hopefully not the rearend.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Sounds like the slip joint on the driveshaft needs lube. Service dept. rarely grease them and they can really scare the ---- out of you.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #5

I have a Class A 330ts 2010. You are right about scaring the you know what out of me! Do you know what type of Lube to use? I can call Ford and ask. Also today I went out and played with my coach to look for any abnormalities And when I extended my stabilizers, my slide out came out about 2".
Never had that happen before! I'm confused!
Thanks to all for your reply's.
fidaddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #6

"Sounds like the slip joint on the driveshaft needs lube."
===================================
Never seen one of those wear to the point of making any noise whatsoever. I doubt the OP's coach is old enough for a problem like that, as the factory lube job lasts for tens of thousands of miles.
Back to a universal or the rear end.
fidaddy, does it happen the moment you hit the gas?
And is it a very deep 'clunk', or more of a metallic 'clink'.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Have talked to more than one person with Fords, Chevys & Dodges that have taken brand new trucks & cars back to the dealers complaining of the same problem. A couple of pumps on a grease gun and you are good for many many miles or yrs. On most cars, the drive shaft has to be removed from the tranny and lithium grease applied to the spline and to the outside of the splined sleeve on the driveshaft. On most trucks, with 2 driveshafts, the problem is at the joint where the 2 shafts connect. That is where it must be greased. A u joint will squeak/squeal like the devil when you back up before it starts clunking and it will clunk every time you back off the throttle and get back on it. Jack up the frame about 3 or 4 inches by the trailer hitch, leaving the wheels on the ground and drop it real fast, you will probably be able to duplicate the clunk.
U joints and rearends will last yrs and most u joints don't even have zerks anymore and last for well over 100,000 miles.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
10Isola

Not sure if this is the same issue I was having, but sure sounds similar. When we picked up our new unit last year we were experiencing a "chunking" sound under the cab closer to the driver's side. It was very prominent went traveling very slow over a speed bump, or any turn with a slight grade. Had it looked at by a local guy. He claims there was a gap in the king pin. Even though he thought the gap was too large he claims it still fell within Ford's specs. He lubed up the front as well, and it doesn't seem to be as big of an issue. Honestly, I don't know a thing about engines, or even what a king pin does. Perhaps you have the same issue? Good luck, and I hope this may have helped.
10Isola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

The kingpins hold the spindle/hub/wheel assy on the axle. There should be a thrust bearing between the spindle and the bottom of the axle. Your gap between the axle and the spindle may be within Ford specs, but it can also be reduced by placing a hardened washer on the top of the axle between the spindle to reduce the clearance to only about 0.001" -0.002" which should eliminate any noise coming from there.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #10

"A u joint will squeak/squeal like the devil when you back up before it starts clunking and it will clunk every time you back off the throttle and get back on it."
=============================
With all due respect, that is simply not true.
And I fail to see how putting a bit of grease on a 2-yearold spline is going to stop it from "clunking".
It will be interesting to know what the OP eventually finds.
Until then, I think we can let it rest.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

The clunking is due to the driveshaft trying to slide on the spline and being prevented by the lack of lub. When the vehicle stops, the chassis raises in the rear while the driveshaft remains down and slips back on the spline. When the vehicle starts, the chassis drops and causes the driveshaft to slide forward and without adequate lubrication, it binds and then clunks forward. It is not from wear on the splines but lack of lube to allow the sleeve to slide on the spline freely.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #12

I guess anything is possible.
Like I said, lets see what the OP finds out.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #13

dunnnc is correct that the driveshaft can cause a clunk. This was a problem with a few 97-03 F150's. If I remember correctly, the fix was to lube the spline with some type of teflon grease,
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #14

Here is a liitle bit of info on the issue:

Drive Line Clunk
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #15

Would be very interested in hearing exactly what causes this clunking and a fix for the problem. My husband and I also have a FR 330ts 2010 and have complained of this problem since we bought it new in March of 2012, to no avail. (The first year of it's life it was in the shop (the dealer and at FR) more than it was with us . . . very frustrating!)

Harrills
Kensington MD
BHarrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidaddy66 View Post
Good morning, I recently picked my coach up from from the dealer for some scheduled maintenance. Went on first trip last week, everything went great except on the way back I noticed when I would accelerate from a dead stop I would hear I what sounds like "clunk" coming from underneath the coach. When I got home I looked under my rig
and everything looked fine. I assume it is due to very little lubrication and maybe metal on metal rubbing together. Has any body experienced this before? If so, what type of Lube did you use? Or maybe it's something else. Pls advise.
Thank You

So did you ever find out what the clunking noise was?
Sway bar bushings and bar bibding or what?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote