Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

CO and LP Detector

We had a cup of coffee spill on the counter and drip down the cabinet wall into our CO and LP detector (Safe T Alert/MTI 70-742-R). It's the one with the relay to cutout the propane in the event it detects a problem. Who'd a guess that this unit would catch on fire with a few drops of coffee. Must've got to the right spot on the PCB. Anyway, I had to remove the detector and obviously without a power source to the valve, the propane is shutoff. I realize I'm without these two pieces of mind right now, but I'd really like to use the propane (during the day only). Is there a way to open the valve? I'm assuming two of the three wires (red, yellow and white) could be connected to close the circuit, but I'm now grasping. Rest assured, the part is on order and I'll disconnect during the night.
chill960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
Site Team

I am basing the following off of memory, so it could be way wrong.

From what I remember reading is that the CO/Propane sensor sends 12 volt DC power to the propane solenoid. The solenoid then opens up (it's normally closed) which allows propane to flow to your appliances. If you don't have 12 volt power for any reason via the sensor, then the solenoid closes and thus shuts off propane.

The sensor, when it goes into alarm stage, just shuts off power to the propane solenoid (and it closes), thus shutting off the propane.

Now here is the part that you may need to verify, and may make just bypassing the sensor a little tricky. From what I recall is that the sensor provides 12 volt DC power to the solenoid, which then in turns opens and allows propane flow. I think then the sensor steps down to 9 volt DC to keep the solenoid open.

Bypassing the sensor with a full and constant 12 volt DC direct (without the 9 volt stepdown), might could overheat the solenoid or something, but here again this is not gospel coming from me.

You could just temporarily do away with the solenoid at the propane tanks, if you could easily replumb the propane fittings there. This might be the easiest route, then hook the solenoid back up when you get your new CO/propane sensor in.

RV's like mine, although they have a propane alarm/CO sensor, do not have the added propane solenoid shut off valve like your motorhome does.

Either temporary way you go, you seem to be without the required sensor that could save your life. I would advise at least getting a battery operated CO sensor at a hardware store (like a smoke detector) and using it in the interim if you are going to be operating propane appliances.

Good luck

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote