Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

Coach battery disconect??

We took our new GT350XL out 2 weeks ago. Everything worked fine. Today I went to my storage facility to load up some stuff for our trip this friday and i noticted that the stairs would not fold out. I turned the iginition on, got the engine going and the stairs worked. So...i called the dealer and asked why the coach batteries would drain and he said that i did hit the disconnect switch.

Could someone explain why I would have to disconnect the coach batteries when we are not using it, please?

Also, now that this has happened, our microwave oven will not work. I open the door, close it, it beeps, flashes and nothing.
SemperFi3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #2

Not sure why the microwave is not working but it could be a low voltage situation since you just started the unit and there may have been insufficient time for the batttery to charge enough to properly supply the inverter. Your unit has several 12v DC systems that continue to draw amperage unless you completely disconnect the batteries or supply 120v shore power. CO2 and LP gas detectors, possibly the refrigerator if it is dual AC/gas (12V electronics to run LP side), etc. . .
Papa Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #3

There are anumber of little things (co detector, etc) that continue to draw unless you push the disconnect. Mine will run down in about 5 or 6 days unless disconnected.

I don't think the coach batteries should have anything to do with the microwave when connected to shore power. Did you push the clear button and set the clock on the microwave?
ohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the info on the disconnect. On regards to the micro, I have push every button and no response. I have the generator on as well. Could it be a fuse?
SemperFi3088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

I had an older in wall dual oven/microwave that did have a fuse behind the facia. It looks from the link below some RV units do as well. Beeps and flashes however are perplexing, I would think if it was a fuse it would be completely off.

Microwave Oven Repair and Replacement | RV Tip of the Day
Papa Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #6

I too have been through the battery drain issues. I got fed up and bought a switch that I mounted on the coach batteries. It disconnects the batteries from all the coach circuitry. Its a large copper knife switch that cost me less than $20 bucks at Amazon. Now after more than a month of idle time I can go to my rig and she fires right up, all the internal 12V stuff works and I have a great weekend. Your other choices are to track down all the parasitic stuff that drains batteries: dash radio, gas detector....... and turn it all off. I like a simple solution.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #7

The knife switch is a good idea but on a newer coach, it could cause other issues. My 2011 327DS has two devices that would stop working properly if all power was disconnected. These are the leveling system and the motor driven front shade. Both have small computers that control them and they need power to retain their settings. The leveling system memorizes what "level" is and the shade has memory of the two "down" settings (one for driving, the other for sleeping) and the "up" stop.

Both can be field reset after a power loss but, of course, FR doesn't provide the information about how to do this to the coach owner. The "program" button for the shade is located behind a trim strip where it can't be seen. The leveling system can be reprogrammed from its control panel.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Tim & Lisa Trempert

I use a blade switch on my house batteries for longer storage periods and neither my shade nor my leveling system have lost their settings. Are you sure the shade and leveling system settings are not maintained from the chassis battery? Seems like they would have to be or I would have lost my settings.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #9

I'm not sure. It's another thing that needs to be checked. I remember reading that someone, some time ago, discovered that the solenoid for the emergency "connect house batteries to chassis battery" starting relay was powered from the chassis battery. This would render the relay inoperative if the chassis battery was dead.

Running those computers off of the chassis battery is another load left on it when your unit is in storage. It's a small load but it will help drain whatever battery it's hooked to.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Forest River replaced the microwave in our Georgetown when is was about eight months old. It was only not working intermittently and that is hard to fix. Better to get it looked after while under warranty.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery