Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Coach Service

I booked my Georgetown 378 for grease & oil at the local Ford dealer.
I asked the service manager regarding checking the brakes and he told me they need to be taken apart and cleaned and lubricated. The quoted me a price of $500.00 + for the brake service. The coach is two years old and has about 16000 mi on it. Is this something I should be doing?
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #2

Cleaned and lubricated? WTF? Are they talking about lubricating the bearings? If it has good pads and the rotors aren't warped, you should have nothing to service. I know cars really well and I'm a newbie at motorhomes, but IMO 16k miles is a bit to early for brake service. I can understand lubing the shafts, joints, etc.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

I just called and canceled that appointment with the Ford dealer.
The service now is being done by a very reputably independent garage.
I have been using them to service our cars and our F350 that I traded for the coach.
This shop has a contract to service all the Union Gas vehicles in this area.
I somehow thought I had to take it to Ford to maintain the warranty.
It turns out all I need to do is to be able to prove I have had it serviced.
The shop I'm taking it to automatically visually inspect the brakes when they do the service.
Protect-A-Tow
Old 10-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Cleaned and lubricated? WTF? Are they talking about lubricating the bearings? If it has good pads and the rotors aren't warped, you should have nothing to service. I know cars really well and I'm a newbie at motorhomes, but IMO 16k miles is a bit to early for brake service. I can understand lubing the shafts, joints, etc.
Per Ford's owners manual. Brake fluid needs to be changed every two years. Warranty on brakes is void unless it's done. As for cleaning and lubricating, that sounds like bearings and ball joints as you stated or they're looking for some easy money.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #5

Wow, every two years? That seems a bit too soon especially since we don't put that many miles on these vehicles. Not sure what the reasoning behind is. Whenever I've service my brakes on other vehicles I always use synthetic and with that stuff it will never need to be changed unless it becomes contaminated or there is a leak.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon35 View Post
I just called and canceled that appointment with the Ford dealer.
The service now is being done by a very reputably independent garage.
I have been using them to service our cars and our F350 that I traded for the coach.
This shop has a contract to service all the Union Gas vehicles in this area.
I somehow thought I had to take it to Ford to maintain the warranty.
It turns out all I need to do is to be able to prove I have had it serviced.
The shop I'm taking it to automatically visually inspect the brakes when they do the service.
That's what they should do, a visual to make sure your discs look good and the pads have good meat on them. Also to make sure the rubber boots are good and there are no leaks. That dealer, I mean stealer was trying to take you for a ride.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Wow, every two years? That seems a bit too soon especially since we don't put that many miles on these vehicles. Not sure what the reasoning behind is. Whenever I've service my brakes on other vehicles I always use synthetic and with that stuff it will never need to be changed unless it becomes contaminated or there is a leak.
I ran into another FRF member earlier this summer at Outdoor World in Manheim PA. He told me he had lost his brakes just the week before. The brake line had rusted through resulting in a lost of regular brakes. When it was fixed Ford would not cover the expense since the original fluid was still in the coach. I believe he had a 2011 but it actually was manufactured in 2010. . He stopped by and showed me the owner's manual where they have it in writing. Changed my brake fluid about 2 weeks later, inspected the lines for rust and happy to say they all are in good shape.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
I ran into another FRF member earlier this summer at Outdoor World in Manheim PA. He told me he had lost his brakes just the week before. The brake line had rusted through resulting in a lost of regular brakes. When it was fixed Ford would not cover the expense since the original fluid was still in the coach. I believe he had a 2011 but it actually was manufactured in 2010. . He stopped by and showed me the owner's manual where they have it in writing. Changed my brake fluid about 2 weeks later, inspected the lines for rust and happy to say they all are in good shape.
If they were rusted and failed it's on the outside. If your lines are properly purged there is no reason the fluid will cause them to rust from the inside especially after a couple of years. I've restored old motorcycles were the fluid has been sitting in there for 15 years and all I've had to do is clean them up. I mean, the fluid is so bad that it's more like glue. Now, with a lot of salt and humidity the outside could rust especially if they used cheap materials. I don't know how that brake failure occurred. I have had 40+ year old cars with original brake lines. I would have gone after them because it doesn't seem right.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
If they were rusted and failed it's on the outside. If your lines are properly purged there is no reason the fluid will cause them to rust from the inside especially after a couple of years. I've restored old motorcycles were the fluid has been sitting in there for 15 years and all I've had to do is clean them up. I mean, the fluid is so bad that it's more like glue. Now, with a lot of salt and humidity the outside could rust especially if they used cheap materials. I don't know how that brake failure occurred. I have had 40+ year old cars with original brake lines. I would have gone after them because it doesn't seem right.
Here's the original posting about the Brake Lines.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nes-44054.html

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 10-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #10

I just had my brakes fluid replaced on my 2012 at my local Ford dealer.
I have 23,000 mile son the rig and I have had it for 18 months.
Worth the $102. I also had the transmission fluid replaced for $184
I figure I'm good for a few more years.
You take care of your toys and they will take care of you.
No surprises
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I just had my brakes fluid replaced on my 2012 at my local Ford dealer.
I have 23,000 mile son the rig and I have had it for 18 months.
Worth the $102. I also had the transmission fluid replaced for $184
I figure I'm good for a few more years.
You take care of your toys and they will take care of you.
No surprises
That is why I'm glad I can take it to a shop that I know I can trust. This shop looked after our 1997 Ford F350 with over 275k on it when I traded it our Georgetown. I have had a number of not very good experiences with Ford dealerships. I also had a very positive experience with a Ford dealer that I brought two trucks and a car from. But I have moved and they are two + hours away from where I now live.
Protect-A-Tow