Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #1

Question cold in front of 378

We have 378 ,it cold in front of coach hot in back,i put towels over vent in back still cold in front and little air flow is any body having same problem. Forest River said that the design of the coach so that my problem in nut shell.
ck101999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #2

Same on our 360 so we just put a small heater up front
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

I think this is the case in all motorhomes due to all the glass-windshield, windows etc as well as dash vents, lots of air holes to let the cold in. We use the fireplace and it gets toasty warm.
we2lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #4

I'm not sure with your floor plan if you have any heat ducts that run through the slides, if you do, check them. We had 2 ducts running through our kitchen slide, one was crushed when the slide was assembled at the factory, the other was torn behind the stove, result was very cold up front and the bedroom was an oven. We fixed the ducts and replaced the bedroom heat registers with ones that you can adjust the flow from Home depot, the whole coach is now a pretty even temperature.
georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #5

Same on our 374, not nearly enough heat flow up front, and way too hot in back.
Ggantilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #6

I have not had mine for to long. One day while I was under my Georgetown i found one of the ducts had slipped off its connection and was hanging. Mine was one towards the back not sure if it is the same up front.
Frank4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #7

On our 2011 350 I block the heat ducts near the front to push more heat to the back.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #8

Our 340 is cold up front. made some insulated curtains that hang from the visor mounts with velcro, and it makes a big difference. We still use a small heater up front.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck101999 View Post
We have 378 ,it cold in front of coach hot in back,i put towels over vent in back still cold in front and little air flow is any body having same problem. Forest River said that the design of the coach so that my problem in nut shell.
We have a 374 I said it was a 378 cold in front ,it was in shop 3 months getting fixed that was mistake still problems . This will be my last Forest River ,my wife see it now . Poor workmanship at plant and dealership now much better . Forest River denied fixxing being cold in front do to the design ,denied white about my windows fixxing that problem denied crack around my front windshield ,they will not pay Diagnostic charges why should i and other in warranty .Floor lose as goose .
ck101999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #10

Another idea for this is to put up a curtain rod and heavy curtains right behind driver's and passenger's seats.

Makes it easier to heat the living area since you're not trying to heat those big front windows as much.
Makes it easier to heat or cool the driving area with the dash air, when you're driving.
Makes it easier to drive at night. Person in back can turn on lights and it won't blind the driver.

Of course in nice weather you can tie the curtains back and they'll probably look pretty nice.

I plan to try to install a curtain like this sometime soon.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsutherl View Post
Another idea for this is to put up a curtain rod and heavy curtains right behind driver's and passenger's seats.

Makes it easier to heat the living area since you're not trying to heat those big front windows as much.
Makes it easier to heat or cool the driving area with the dash air, when you're driving.
Makes it easier to drive at night. Person in back can turn on lights and it won't blind the driver.

Of course in nice weather you can tie the curtains back and they'll probably look pretty nice.

I plan to try to install a curtain like this sometime soon.
We're planning the same thing. I saw a Georgetown camping near us last spring and they had already installed the curtains. We were talking about different issues we both have encountered. He said the main reason for the curtains was not having to run the dash heat at full blast to keep warm when traveling in real cold weather. He also said it was quicker to pull the curtains closed as opposed to closing the windshield curtains. They owned a 350 model.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Beautiful thing about being a full-timer, I'm never in weather where I have to worry about this.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #13

As an owner of a 391 I'm in a bit of a minority so this question tags on to this thread but to a narrower interest group.

Like the rest of the models I have two heaters with two individual thermostats. The one mounted in the bedroom controls the heater ducting to the front portion of the MH. The one mounted in the middle controls the heater ducting to the bedroom.

Is there an intent to this or is it just miswired? We deal with the issue readily but I scratch my head every cold morning.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #14

we have a 378 and I found that air would come through the dash vents if the ac/heater switch was in an on position. Turned it off and no problems. We have been out all winter and have not had a cold up front situation. The fireplace keeps the whole coach warm down to about 40 degrees, then i turn on the rear furnace. The only time the front furnace has been on is to check to see if it works.

defending FR I must say that the coach is well designed and really quite maintenance free. We are in the middle of a 5000 mile trip.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
As an owner of a 391 I'm in a bit of a minority so this question tags on to this thread but to a narrower interest group.

Like the rest of the models I have two heaters with two individual thermostats. The one mounted in the bedroom controls the heater ducting to the front portion of the MH. The one mounted in the middle controls the heater ducting to the bedroom.

Is there an intent to this or is it just miswired? We deal with the issue readily but I scratch my head every cold morning.
Sounds like someone mixed up the control wires. Thermostats are always place within the area of where the Heating or Cooling System are ducted to. Otherwise it never senses the temperature of that area to properly operate the system to make the area comfortable. I hope there's a way of rerouting the control wires or running new without too much trouble. Ive been in the HVAC field of work for over 35 years and this is occasionally happens in garden apartment applications when someone doesn't mark the control wires and a dozen are coming out of a wall to a common area where the outdoor units are set. Easy way to be sure that's the problem is turn one system completely off. Turn on the other system and see which unit turns on. Or just OHM out the wires.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #16

Hey Jim what kind of gas mileage are u getting?
armye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post

You better check it out again. On mine the thermostat in the bedroom controls the furnace under the refrigerator that heats the bedroom and supplies all the floor vents. The thermostat up front on the wall by the refrigerator controls the furnace under the cabinets in the kitchen. and supplies the two vents on the side of the cabinets only and is the smaller of the two furnaces. Its set up that way so you don't have to use the big one if you need it going down the road. We've used the one up front only to test it to see if it works. Since we are full times and are in south Texas for the winter we seldom use the main one. When its cold here we use the fireplace only during the day and set the thermostat at 60 deg. in the bedroom when we go to bed. With the fireplace running the furnace seldom does.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by armye7 View Post
Hey Jim what kind of gas mileage are u getting?
Mileage, whats that, more like Foot per Gallon. Actually we are towing and over the last 6,600 miles we have averaged 7.04 mpg. That includes every type driving you can have. Going at .48 cents per mile at the current gas prices.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote