Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billr View Post
12 V DC pads, they turn on around 40 and turn off around 50.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Learning all the time. Thanks for info. Guess it's that way for dry camping or driving in freezing conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 12-10-2014, 11:50 PM   #12

I am wondering if the artic pack is enough to keep pipes from freezing up? I know the pads will keep the tanks from freezing, but there are water pipes going to the kitchen and bathroom. Is the whole system covered in heat tape? Or just the tanks?

Old 12-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #13

We were recently in Lubbock TX where the temp got down to 12 degrees. We did not hook up to the park water as I knew the hose would freeze. The Artic pac was on along with inside heat. Water line froze up somewhere. I suspected the water pump froze up. I placed a string of large Christmas lights around the pump and that seemed to solve the problem.

2014 GT 378 XL
Old 12-11-2014, 02:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarong View Post
I am wondering if the artic pack is enough to keep pipes from freezing up? I know the pads will keep the tanks from freezing, but there are water pipes going to the kitchen and bathroom. Is the whole system covered in heat tape? Or just the tanks?
Should be just your tanks and discharge elbows.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:13 AM   #15

It's great to talk to other RV's and her there experiences because I was told by RV rep that the coaches where tested down to 11 but from what jeffv is saying his water froze at 12. Not sure why the company would put heat tape on tanks and elbows and not the water pump that is sitting so close to service door. But still love my coach.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #16

The water pump will freeze up in teen weather, one thing I do is put a small heater in there at night and it will stop the pump from freezing. You can always use a drop light and place next to the pump. My only concerns is the pump and the water filter and I purchased 2 small heaters from Walmart believe they were 10 bucks and are only 450 watts when temps are down low I have 1 in each bay, and according to my remote temp gauge. the temp stays around 50 degrees in there. I run an extension cord to the power outlet in the bay by the steps.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #17

On your way down South, there are very few campgrounds open due to the temps, and if you're planning on Wal-mart camping, and the temps are low, you may not have enough battery to use the furnace at night to keep you warm.

For your sake..........plan on motels until you're certain of warmer climates and campgrounds are open to select from. If Nature calls..........make a stop at roadside services/gas stations the same as you would if travelling by car.

Heating pads are NOT for extremes like the Polar Vortex

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:39 AM   #18

Can you run your furnace while driving? Never done it but was wandering what most people do while driving in lower temps. I know front blowers will keep front cab area warm from engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #19
Happily Retired Member

Sure you can run the furnace when traveling.

2013 Ford Escape on Landgrebe tow dolly
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbretta View Post
It's great to talk to other RV's and her there experiences because I was told by RV rep that the coaches where tested down to 11 but from what jeffv is saying his water froze at 12. Not sure why the company would put heat tape on tanks and elbows and not the water pump that is sitting so close to service door. But still love my coach.
The water pump, and fresh water tank sit in a heated and insulated bay. That's assuming that the furnace is running, and therefore pumping warm air into the bay. If you are using a space heater upstairs and the furnce doesn't kick on enough, the fresh water bay will drop to freezing temps.

Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote