Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Happy Member

Colorado River membership?

I have a simple question, I don't want to waste my time if is not worth it....

like some of you, when we bought our coach we got a "free" membership to a "Colorado River" campgrounds which includes like 7 or 8 different sites in NV, AZ CA & CO.

what's your experience with them? was it worth it? (I know some of these "free" memberships include a sales pitch) for a time share which is why I ask...I don't want to waste my or our family time.

These people keep on calling and we're really not interested but I would take your word 100x over theirs... and a cold beer of course!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKJJS View Post
I have a simple question, I don't want to waste my time if is not worth it....

like some of you, when we bought our coach we got a "free" membership to a "Colorado River" campgrounds which includes like 7 or 8 different sites in NV, AZ CA & CO.

what's your experience with them? was it worth it? (I know some of these "free" memberships include a sales pitch) for a time share which is why I ask...I don't want to waste my or our family time.

These people keep on calling and we're really not interested but I would take your word 100x over theirs... and a cold beer of course!
Pass pass pass pass.

TURBS

Think spring!
The last man standing also has a sharpie
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #3

We did that once, what a mistake. Ok ours was a 6 year trial membership, it could not be extended or cancel. About 8 months after we bought it the park lost it charter membership, so our membership was sold to two different parks, both of them wanted us to pay dues and maintenance/up keep. It took almost two years to find out which park was our home park. We took time off work for a long weekend and drove almost 5 hours to the park, we had a hard time finding the park because they changed the name of the park. Upon arriving the first thing we see is the pool, the water was green and full of patio furniture, then we come to the gate or I should say what was the gate was wrapped around a tree, there is no guard, we find a site we liked, that wasn't hard not many people in the park, we walk up to the club house, it is being used as someone storage shed. We sit out side and talk to the campers across the road from us, they are there for the same reason we are (to check out our home park), neither one of us are impressed, the park was a dump, the next morning we got up to ants every where. The day after we got home the membership people call me to say my dues were due, I told them that I would not be paying one more dime to them and told her about what we found when we got to the park, she told me that was not possible there parks were the best, I said well fine send someone out to the park and see for yourself. Funny thing I never heard from them again.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #4

I think Colorado has been around a long time. My wife and I joined Thousand Trails back in 99. Most have sewer, water and 30 amp power. Many are upgrading to 50 amp. Some are better than others, but we have been pretty satisfied. In a couple of weeks, we'll be in Verde Valley, AZ for two weeks in a Thousand Trails Campground. Hard to beat Sedona, AZ in mid March!!
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
Happy Member

Thank you both for the reply....confirms our lack of interest and fear to get into something we are not familiar with.

I'll just let them know we are not interested next time they call!

what a rip-off
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 03-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
Happy Member

KrazyMace,

I heard good things about Thousand trails but this one I wasn't sure...so I think we are going to pass on.

We really like not being tied down to memberships ( not that would hold us up) but kindda like Southwest airlines...we like move around the cabin (anywhere) if you know what we mean...
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 03-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #7

Thousand trails gives me lots of flexibility and helps me manage travel costs. My wife and I are currently starting the second month of 3+ month trip to the SW. In the end I will have used Thousand Trails for 4 weeks and the rest of the trip in non Thousand Trails facilities.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #8
Happy Member

That's awesome...the dealer that we almost bought a GT MH was offering 1000 trails, but the smaller privately owned dealer where we finally closed the deal on our MH offered the Colorado River adventure package.

A camping family (friends of ours) also have the 1K trails package and they have enjoyed quite a bit with their 7 kids. it makes it more affordable for them as well.

we like the beach, hikes, trails, desert, just about anything you put in front of us and our 3 children (safely of course) but don't want to risk wasting money with this package as I haven't heard much of it.
Where is your final destination on the SW?
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
That's awesome...the dealer that we almost bought a GT MH was offering 1000 trails, but the smaller privately owned dealer where we finally closed the deal on our MH offered the Colorado River adventure package.

A camping family (friends of ours) also have the 1K trails package and they have enjoyed quite a bit with their 7 kids. it makes it more affordable for them as well.

we like the beach, hikes, trails, desert, just about anything you put in front of us and our 3 children (safely of course) but don't want to risk wasting money with this package as I haven't heard much of it.
Where is your final destination on the SW?

We have been to San Diego, Yuma and Phoenix. Next stop is Tucson and then to Sedona. Then up along Ca coast and on home to Oregon. Freedom!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #10
Happy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazymace View Post
We have been to San Diego, Yuma and Phoenix. Next stop is Tucson and then to Sedona. Then up along Ca coast and on home to Oregon. Freedom!
I agree, I like the freedom our coach gives our family to just get up and go on a given weekend (cough-cough) take a day off and extend our weekend.
and whether we find a space on a CP or stay just about any parking lot by the harbor.....

we like Pismo beach resort....we haven't made trips south of L.A. but I have a friend from Mesa that loves staying at the Chula Vista CP in san Diego.
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #11

We'll be at Pismo Beach Resort next month for a week. Love going to the Farmers Market in San Louis Obispo.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:33 PM   #12
Happy Member

have you stayed at the Pismo Beach Resort before?

if you haven't...we recommend asking for a spot on the north side. better area!

We're jealous - we always like walkin' to the pier and the fact the beach is so kid friendly

Enjoy
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 03-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #13

Quote:
have you stayed at the Pismo Beach Resort before?

if you haven't...we recommend asking for a spot on the north side. better area!

We're jealous - we always like walkin' to the pier and the fact the beach is so kid friendly

Enjoy

Stayed there last year. Beautiful weather and very few people in town. Loved it!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #14
Happy Member

Same here, there is an Italian restnt around the corner from CP - nice place to dine. I forget the name (great recommendation huh?)

We also love the clam chowder near the pier and the crepe place is to die for.....Hmm, Snack Time!!
2013 FR GT 351DFS
Old 03-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #15

I'll look for them.