Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Columbus, Ohio RV show

Wife and I went to the Columbus, Ohio RV show today and really disappointed. Three buildings of mostly small lite RV,s and boats. Very few motorhome and zero accessories. Lots of home improvement booths though. Even Camping World only had RV's and no accessories. 10 dollars each to get in and 5 to park. A total waste of 25 bucks.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #2

If you are ever in Arizona during January you can visit our RV show in Quartzsite Arizona.
They have dealers here with lots of Motorhome but the fun is looking at the little stuff in the main tent and surrounding areas.
Jan 21-29 2017

The Quartzsite Sports, Vacation & RV Show :: Home
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #3

Yeah we just got home from there as well. Tons of travel trailers but only a handful of class A's. We too were hoping for more accessories being sold. Really nothing. We ran into friends and still had fun walking around and looking. It was pretty crowded when we were there this afternoon.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksha83 View Post
Yeah we just got home from there as well. Tons of travel trailers but only a handful of class A's. We too were hoping for more accessories being sold. Really nothing. We ran into friends and still had fun walking around and looking. It was pretty crowded when we were there this afternoon.
We went early and as we were leaving there was a long line of people waiting to get in. Glad we went early.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #5

Many shows are not carrying parts/accessories any longer. When I inquired at 2 local Atlanta shows, dealers who previously hosted stated: space; time; effort; limited assortments, made it virtually impossible to make any $$. They need to STAFF HEAVILY as things do walk off in a show environment.
MY OBSERVATION: is like a department store. People look and step aside and order it from ON LINE resources and have it delivered to their home.
Sears; Macy's; KMart and others are shutting many stores....
Camping World will likely continue accessories at the MAJOR shows. They use it as a tool to sell other services; i.e.; Good Sam Club; Roadside Assistance; Insurance for travel, home or rv, etc.
IT's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!! ( that should not come as a surprise ) it's a miracle they get vendors at the annual FROG RALLY in Indiana !!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:26 AM   #6

I agree....because while I would like to look at any new accessories that may be out during an RV show, I am an Amazon Prime addict and typically order most things that way for the RV.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #7

I agree,

The wife and I went there Friday the moment they opened. No one there! That part was great. I was also wanting to see the latest accessories but there was none. Way to many trailers. I am in the golf course development market and we do industry shows all the time.
I was amazed I didn't really see any (maybe one) booth that was set up to look like an actual camp site? When I was leaving the show I noticed a bunch of new 5vers and travel trailers outside. To me, this was more of a giant showroom to just sell RV's (which is ok but). I also expected education and accessories and new technology, prototypes etc.
I did not meet or see anyone from the actual manufactures?
Zak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #8
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

Columbus RV Show

Thanks for the information about the show. Was getting ready in an hour to head to Columbus for the show. The trip would have been 1 hour one way. I was interested in the ACCESSORIES, since I have no desire for a new RV after the purchase in 2016 of a new one. This forum is great!
Barstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #9

Wow! Thanks for posting. Was planning to head up from Cincy for the show too. Was hoping to see new MH and accessories. Guess we will skip it. RV show in Cincy is all boats so no fun either. Back to dreaming on-line. Amazon Prime is my friend.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
MCTroy

Thanks for the update. We were upset that we were missing this expo but I guess we didn't miss anything after all. This saved us 150 miles round trip and gas money! We like to see what is new and especially the accessories.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #11
3boxerss

Theres a show in Cleveland going on too thru next weekend looks to be bigger than Columbus show..
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #12

I agree. We saw nothing really impressive there in Columbus.

2017 FR Wildwood 201BHXL
2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch Ecoboost
zorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #13
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

Has anyone attended the show going on in Cleveland? What is being offered for sale at the show?
Barstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #14

What I find interesting is, at all these 'shows', from RV's to hunting to snowmobiles to fishing, you get to pay to park, then you pay to get in, then you pay for a watered down pop and you get to pay for a tiny bag of chips or a soggy sandwich plus, the exhibitors get to pay for booth space.

Key word...pay.

I quit going a long time ago. Bona-fide trade shows I go to, those have no entry fee. (other than a dealers license).

I need to get into the exhibition business. Seems as though it's mostly profit with minimal expense.. Kinda like building RV's......
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #15

Tampa RV show each year is huge. I spend 2 days each year. Well worth going if your here.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstorm View Post
Has anyone attended the show going on in Cleveland? What is being offered for sale at the show?

The RV show at the IX Center ends today - it started Wednesday

There are alot of dealers there as well as a vendor area

Next weekend is the Boat Show at the IX Center

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boxerss View Post
Theres a show in Cleveland going on too thru next weekend looks to be bigger than Columbus show..

The rv show ends today - it has alot of dealers and a vendor area

The boat show starts the 12th - it has marinas, realtors, boat dealers and vendors - not RV stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstorm View Post
Spoke to friends last night who had went to Cleveland's RV Show. No details but said it seemed bigger than years past
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #19
DW's 401(k) Plan

After reading the first few posts of this thread, I told DW yesterday that we might think about going to the RV Show in Pittsburgh on the 14th.
With a look of utter astonishment, she said, "Really? You want to take me to an RV Show?"
I thought a minute and decided, yeah, she's right. I DON'T want to take her anywhere near new RV's. Why?
  • Took her to the RV Show in Pittsburgh in 2008 - wound up buying a Roo 23SS less than 2 months later
  • Took the Roo for service at a dealer in 2013, within 2-3 months we had a new Flagstaff 27BESS
  • Took the Flagstaff in for service April '16 and within a month we had our Sunseeker.
Yeah, taking her to an RV Show isn't one of my smartest thoughts.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #20

Pittsburgh Show starts on 9th if memory serves - it's usually pretty good, but I like the Hershey Show that occurs in September (again, if memory serves) lots of kiosks, demos and an air conditioned interior to escape to with lots to look at if it's hot outside. It was so hot the last time we were there, I asked DW if she wanted to recover inside while I scouted the trailers outside. It was so hot, she said, "You bet!". I could have bought anything I wanted while she cooled off and she wouldn't have minded a bit.....But I was good and got her opinion first!

"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. . .I guess."
Red Green
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
rockfossilman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbus, ohio, show