Old 03-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #41

I can see the need for a composting toilet for boondocking and sure wouldn't criticize anyone for doing that. To install a composting toilet because one doesn't want to deal with a black water tank and hose, doesn't make any sense to me. Now I saw an advertisement for an incinerator toilet that requires 110 volts, but leaves a white ash to dump, that sure seems more feasible.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS396CV View Post
I can see the need for a composting toilet for boondocking and sure wouldn't criticize anyone for doing that. To install a composting toilet because one doesn't want to deal with a black water tank and hose, doesn't make any sense to me. Now I saw an advertisement for an incinerator toilet that requires 110 volts, but leaves a white ash to dump, that sure seems more feasible.
Wow that brings a whole new meaning to FIRE IN THE HOLE!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #43
Mod free 5er

[QUOTE=BamaBob;1126366]...Composted feces are not dangerous and in fact can be used to fertilize non-ingestible plants...[QUOTE]

Farmers have been using "non-composted" chicken, pig, cattle, horse, etc.manure for fertilizer for hundreds if not thousands of years and you eat the corn, soybeans, wheat, rice, etc. that they grow. Some cities even sell/give the sewer sludge to homeowners & farmers.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #44

So two weeks ago we got our c head composting toilet, which in my opinion has been a big improvement over the basic bucket system. Now it might not seem like much of a difference besides the separation of the solids and liquids, but it actually has a churning system, that will bury the solid waste after use and not have to add so much medium after every use causing it to fill up much faster.

Now first I wanna talk about the design, it involves one thing I love.. Simplicity. There is a bunch of noooks and crannies so cleaning it is very simple. Removing the liquids and solids contains are really easy with a simple lift of the hatch and emptying is very quick and easy. The liquids container is nothing more than a gallon water jug, so you don't have to worry about your container getting caked up after a while, you can just recycle the jug and put in a new one for a very low cost. I'd say we fill ours up almost daily, probably would be more but I'm a neandrothol and I pee outside any chance I get. There's also a little slit to see the container level so you'll know when it's about time to empty it.

The solids container is just a 5 gallon bucket that has been modified, again very easy to remove and empty and the churning system actually buries the waste very well. Now we have just gone with the recommend amount of turns on the handle which is around 20, I know that seems like a lot but it really isn't and you can't see anything after.
When it comes to smell after pooping, it does linger for a bit, but we also do not have a vent hose connected to ours for numerous reasons. But it's not unbearable, and it doesn't last long. We have been ursing pine saw dust, we plan to try cocoir soon, and we have found that we don't like peatmoss, so the saw dust seems to be doing the trick for now.

Now if you're a guy with a alpha ego you won't like this toilet, because guess what, you do have to sit down to pee to use it, you may be able to figure out some way to use it standing, I don't see how tho. But if you can get past your ego and just realize that it's nothing a big deal to sit to pee then you're good to go, which peeing when you poop is sitting down to pee so you've technically already done it before.

When asked why we chose this particular toilet over some of the other ones, there's a few factors, one we are simple people and this just seemed like such a simple system and it is, I'd say two would be the price, this particular model was around $560 I think, and compare that to other one that are in the $900 to $1100 range, we just couldn't justify spending much more for something, that we really just wanted a system that could separate the liquid and solid, as we found with the bucket system, it's not preferred to mix both in one, and we were having to empty it more often, and the smell, so yeah the c head seem to make more sense for us.

They were many people who said the reason they didn't get the c head was because you cannot throw toilet paper into the waste container the way you can some of the others, while this is true, with the c head toilet paper will not get buried by the churning system, so yes I will admit that is a downside, however our solution is simple and we have a separate little container that we found for $4 that we use for toilet paper, and then just put it in the trash when it's full, and we have had no issues with odors. So yeah the whole toilet paper thing isn't really that big of a deal at all.

All in all, I'd say we are satisfied, for the price and simplicity of the system I would definitely recommend it if you're planning on composting, or just do not wanna deal with the black tank, I feel this is much quicker and less gross than the black tankz
Old 04-07-2016, 11:43 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaka View Post
I'm not sure that placing human excrement into dumpsters would be looked upon favorably by the general public or dumpster owners, composted or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
well humans often dispose of colostomy bags, diapers adult and child, cat and dog poop and other things of the such, it would be silly for humans to frown upon compost dump into dumpsters... i mean, we are the same human race that frowns upon human breast feeding, yet we drink puss filled milk from cows.. humans def contradict themselves in the things we do. so yes, there are many actions we can take with disposal..

you could bury your compost if in a certain area where possible, or may towns have compost dumping stations, or just toss it in a dumpster.. lol
Old 04-08-2016, 12:11 AM   #46
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderloverv View Post
well humans often dispose of colostomy bags, diapers adult and child, cat and dog poop and other things of the such, it would be silly for humans to frown upon compost dump into dumpsters... i mean, we are the same human race that frowns upon human breast feeding, yet we drink puss filled milk from cows.. humans def contradict themselves in the things we do. so yes, there are many actions we can take with disposal..

you could bury your compost if in a certain area where possible, or may towns have compost dumping stations, or just toss it in a dumpster.. lol
Well the milk part just ruined my apatite! LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderloverv View Post

All in all, I'd say we are satisfied, for the price and simplicity of the system I would definitely recommend it if you're planning on composting, or just do not wanna deal with the black tank, I feel this is much quicker and less gross than the black tankz

Less gross than the Black Tank?? I don’t know how you used the RV toilet system but for me all I had to do was hookup the sewer hose to the trailer and then pull a valve to dump the tank. When I leave the campsite I disconnect the hose. Where’s the gross?

You’re the one that carries a container of poop and a container of pee through your trailer to who knows where to dump the stuff. To me, that’s pretty gross.

You have to churn your poop and save your toilet paper after each use. Then you have to find a place to dump your pee and your “compost.” I’d like to know where do you dump your pee?? Urine has a very pungent odor. I’m sure other campers would have a conniption fit if they saw you dumping pee on the ground.

I’ll stick with my current waste disposal system thank you very much.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #48

I don't know where wanderloverv is from but I hope I never wind up in the campsite next to theirs. Just picture pulling into your site after a day on the road, dusk, ready for a cold beer and your neighbor walks over to be friendly to say hi and ask where your from, perhaps offer his or her hand to shake, while they have a bag of their poop in the shaking hand on the way to the dumpster! Is this whole darn country going nuts with this environmental B.S.! We are supposed to be the most advanced country in the world yet some want us to revert back to the stone age or before! Take a trip to some places in Europe and experience toilets with out seats or the use of toilet paper and maybe some will understand if for no other reason than "Sanitary" we have a proven system whether RV'ing or not for human waste disposal, yes with exceptions on an overall small scale for baby and elderly diapers as noted. I'll stick with the very clean, efficient sanitary black tank and slinky Thank You.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #49
Who Dares, Wins

I am sure they wash their hands..

It's amazing how polarizing a topic can get when someone does not decide to just follow the "norm. " I do not know much about them but from the little I have seen from the YouTube, they seem to work for their intended purpose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #50

The composting toilet doesn't solve the gray water problem. You still need to drain your gray water. I don't see any difference in draining my gray water than draining my black water, so I guess I'm still trying to figure out what problem this composting toilet solves.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote