Old 11-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Assuming your batteries are under the steps like most GT's what I do (just Tuesday) is loosening the nuts on the negative battery terminal, go inside the RV and close the door. Steps are retracted, I just reach down and take off the negative wire. No battery power, no moving steps. Open door, jump out and continue to remove batteries.
Jump out the door? No thank you! Sherman12...Way to complicated.

1. Buy a small bar magnet
2. Exit motorhome leaving battery switch and step switch "ON"
3. Place small bar magnet on step magnet sensor on door frame. Careful now...steps will retract! This fools the steps into thinking the door is closed.
4. Reach in and turn off step switch then turn off battery switch. Steps will remain in.
5. Gently close the doors so as not to knock the bar magnet off the frame sensor.
6. Walk away and have an adult beverage.

This will work easily in the switches and door sensors are handy and at the bottom close to the exit.

Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #22

Are these issues just on older models? I just flip batt. disc. switch off and close door. Steps retract like needed or wanted. I guess my steps work regardless of disconnect switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 11-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABoy View Post
Are these issues just on older models? I just flip batt. disc. switch off and close door. Steps retract like needed or wanted. I guess my steps work regardless of disconnect switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
It must be the difference between the two different step mfgs. My work the same way yours do GABoy
Old 11-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #24

Confused on the entry step

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If you have the Lippert steps and are wired correctly then the step power switch (not coach disconnect switch) is only for retracting the steps when set to on (should be off when camping to keep steps out with door closed). I think I read where the Kwikee step power switch does just the opposite when set to on. Both step systems however will retract with ignition switch whether step power switch is on or off.

Believe me, I have tried everything!! They work right when they want to, but sometimes it's a fight!!
And my steps do NOT always retract when the ignition is cycled on, I have to sit and wait at times, I've opened and closed door several times and still won't retract..... I just deal with it.....

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 11-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijoeboss View Post
Believe me, I have tried everything!! They work right when they want to, but sometimes it's a fight!!
And my steps do NOT always retract when the ignition is cycled on, I have to sit and wait at times, I've opened and closed door several times and still won't retract..... I just deal with it.....

2013 Georgetown XL 350
Bunkhouse
2002 F250 4X4 CC
2012 Jeep Liberty
I did say "and wired correctly" should have added "and all components functioning normally". Thought this would be a given. Sorry. The one common point of failure for your issue sounds like the door switch/magnet placement or the wiring to the switch. Just thinking.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #26

In a previous thread, I posted the following for my Lippert steps:

I solved this issue on my coach by doing a simple wiring change. On my coach there is a fused wire coming directly off the battery to the steps. This is what allows the step to extend with the battery switch disconnected. My battery control centre is just above the battery bank, and it contains the solenoid activated by the battery disconnect switch. The live connection (direct from the battery) and the switched connection are extended to the outside of the battery control centre on the right side. They are easy to locate if you take the cover off the battery control centre to see the solenoid. I moved the step power wire from the battery positive terminal to the switched side of the solenoid. Now there is no power to the steps once the disconnect switch is activated.
I gather that having the steps extend even with power disconnected is a feature called "Last man out".
leomosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #27
Anacortesians

As I understand this issue, there were a number of lawsuits when people fell out when the steps didn't deploy, maybe late 1980s. As a result, the steps are hardwired -door open, steps out - door closed, steps retracted.

This has cause some issues on our state ferries, where vehicles are parked VERY close together. I you open your house door to go into the passenger area and your steps deploy, they're going to clobber the car parked next to you. If it's a high-value vehicle (Range Rover, Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, etc.) I think you're going to have a bigger claim than the dumb-butt who broke a leg falling out when the steps didn't deploy.

Our '02 has a "steps disable" rocker switch on the panel to the left of the entry door at inside floor level. It freezes the steps wherever they were when you operated the switch. The only override is engine start, when the steps retract regardless of the disable setting.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #28

Wow! F and E you bring up a another whole scenario to the retracting steps. I do believe on my rig if you hit the battery disconnect switch they will not deploy or retract. My version of disconnecting the battery cable above was for winter storage and I will be taking the batteries out. Sorry, I don't keep extra magnets laying around the house and I'm too lazy and cheap to run out to the closest store to buy one LOL!

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse